Handling Question on a Velocity 260/496 MAG/Bravo 1X >

Handling Question on a Velocity 260/496 MAG/Bravo 1X

Notices

Handling Question on a Velocity 260/496 MAG/Bravo 1X

Old 10-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
The "rocking" you refer to is called "chine walk", where the boat oscillates, or rocks from side to side, or chine to chine. The Velocity hull is famous for it. Also boats with a higher prop shaft height, (X-dimension) are more likely to experience this event. You're already halfway there by having hydraulic external steering. It's difficult to explain, but when a boat at higher trim begins to chine-walk, the driver input can minimize this by steering into the side of the boat that is rising, then back to the other side that is about to rise. in action, it will look like you are turning the wheel back and forth a couple-few inches. The TRICK is the timing! If you get behind, you will actually amplify the action. However, once you get a little ahead of it, the boat will quickly settle without backing off the throttle or trimming in. This is a "seat-of-the-pants" feel that is hard to teach. But, once you get the feel of it, it quickly becomes natural.
There are drivers that can get the feel of a boat in a few minutes and make it look as solid as a pontoon boat.
Others, not so much.
Good luck!

Thanks for your input. I did the counter steering a couple of times out and I totally get it on the timing, (been there-done that) and once your late, might as well just get out of it as it only goes down hill from the point on. Next year, more seat time is what I'm planning on to help my learning curve.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Gordo nailed it!

Worked on my 280 and will work on your 260 as it is basically the same hull. I have run both hydro quad and Bravo 1. Both do a good job. IMO the Bravo stays hooked up a little better but Hydros are a little faster. Bravo give a little more bow lift. Never heard of a Mirage or any 3 blade being used on a 260 or 280. If someone has one to try, go for it but I wouldn't buy one without trying it first.

Try leaving the tabs at nutral. Also do not be afraid to trim the drive up. Sometimes the boat will chine walk because you are trimmed in too much and the boat falls off the pad, bounces of the chine and then repeats on the opposite side.

Keep us posted,

Padraig
Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Gordo nailed it!

Worked on my 280 and will work on your 260 as it is basically the same hull. I have run both hydro quad and Bravo 1. Both do a good job. IMO the Bravo stays hooked up a little better but Hydros are a little faster. Bravo give a little more bow lift. Never heard of a Mirage or any 3 blade being used on a 260 or 280. If someone has one to try, go for it but I wouldn't buy one without trying it first.

Try leaving the tabs at nutral. Also do not be afraid to trim the drive up. Sometimes the boat will chine walk because you are trimmed in too much and the boat falls off the pad, bounces of the chine and then repeats on the opposite side.

Keep us posted,

Padraig
As I mentioned earlier, I did try a 3 blade, it was a looser in every way. The new Bravo 1 I bought seems to be allot better than the BBlades Bravo 1 that came with the boat, both are 26P, but the newer one has a custom cut on it and it still maintains a big diameter. My boating year is done, looking forward to taking all the advise out for trial runs next year.
Thank you
Old 10-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I would check your hull, you are chine walking awfully early. I don't have tabs and I run the trim slightly above level and I hit chine walk about 85. I have been running a Bravo 1 28P and have tried a 30P as well. The boat seems to like the bigger props, I had my 28P labbed by BBlades and they increased pitch 1.5 degrees with additional cup. It's amazing how those changes in the prop make such a significant difference in the handling of a boat. I also added a Hydro-Motive nose cone to my B1 and that seemed to add some stability to the boat above 80.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I would check your hull, you are chine walking awfully early. I don't have tabs and I run the trim slightly above level and I hit chine walk about 85. I have been running a Bravo 1 28P and have tried a 30P as well. The boat seems to like the bigger props, I had my 28P labbed by BBlades and they increased pitch 1.5 degrees with additional cup. It's amazing how those changes in the prop make such a significant difference in the handling of a boat. I also added a Hydro-Motive nose cone to my B1 and that seemed to add some stability to the boat above 80.
That's one of the first things I did, took it off the trailer, blocked it up and crawled under it looking for any abnormalities, it's straight and clean. My hull only see's 68-70 MPH depending on load so a nose cone wouldn't do me any good. I've tries a Bravo 1 28P FS with the holes plugged because I was hitting the limiter, horrible out come; lost speed and lost approx., 400 rpm's. The search continues..................
Old 10-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Have you tried a stock 26 Bravo one?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Have you tried a stock 26 Bravo one?
No sir, I have not had the chance to do that yet, but may put it on the list for next year.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

My 280 doest start to walk till its over 70. Usually a quick turn of the wheel or drive adjustment will settle it down. Rougher water is worse obviously. Ive tried both the bravo and hydromotive props and tend to lean towards the bravo as best all around.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cabin fever
My 280 doest start to walk till its over 70. Usually a quick turn of the wheel or drive adjustment will settle it down. Rougher water is worse obviously. Ive tried both the bravo and hydromotive props and tend to lean towards the bravo as best all around.
Mine starts (dependant on water conditions) smooth water 60'ish MPH (doesn't do it everytime, just once in awhile), rough water 55'ish (all the time).
Old 10-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hope you take this in a positive way- I ran my Velocity for a couple months and thought I had it figured out. I went for a ride with Kenny from Velocity and within 20 minutes I added 10 plus mph and a much better feel for it. Before spending money on more props I'd find find someone with Velocity seat time to run your boat. I've been boating 30 years but the s was my first pad boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.