Notices

J class Hydro

Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J class Hydro

Looking for a J class hydroplane or maybe runabout to get my son started in racing. Whats out there? Hull or complete race ready. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 1,839 Likes on 719 Posts

Here yah go. http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1
It's where all the kneel down guys hang out. I started racing that division as a junior in high school and ran for nine yrs. Built my own boats, motors and banged on my own props.
99% of what I know about going fast I learned there and applies here as well.
IMO, nothing better as a father/son activity. Many, many families doing just that.
Good luck.
Gary
Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will check it out. he's only 7 but I have him racing motorcross (RM 65) and dirt oval go karts and a local speedway. He wants to race boats bad though. We live right near the river / sound / ocean so its a shame to not at least let him try it and see how he likes it. Nothing better than quality father son time.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 1,839 Likes on 719 Posts
Default I think...

Originally Posted by Cobra100+
Thanks I will check it out. he's only 7 but I have him racing motorcross (RM 65) and dirt oval go karts and a local speedway. He wants to race boats bad though. We live right near the river / sound / ocean so its a shame to not at least let him try it and see how he likes it. Nothing better than quality father son time.
he can run J at 9. American Power Boat Assoc. are the best w/the kneel down classes. Best thing to do is find someone in your region that you can hang with. APBA is HUGE w/trying to attract new racers and the youngin's are the perfect target as they have the time to compete and many yrs of future to be involved.
Most racers I know will welcome you w/open arms and being father/son, even more so.
I have done it myself for a neighbor and it was very gratifying.
If you are lucky you may even find a family/team w/a J rig that they'll set you up with to test and maybe even race once to set the hook and make sure you both are up to speed w/what is expected.
Safety wise, (IMO) the APBA is also "THE" best there too. They will treat your son like one of their own.
I think you will be amazed at the out pouring of support once they see you are serious.
Plus at 7, that gives him/you a season as crew w/your mentors to learn a lot ahead of time and can still put him in a boat for testing.
Great stuff and again, one of THE best family activities I've seen.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 11-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.