WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers >

WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers

Notices

WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
Default WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers

WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers.

Bought a pair a few months ago. Thought they were for small block but ended up being for bbc.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers.

Bought a pair a few months ago. Thought they were for small block but ended up being for bbc.
What's the difference? As long as you use the larger new style bellhousing they are the same. I have Big Block Couplers on both of my 355 Vortecs...no problem.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought they were the same also, post pics of what you got, ive seen diff designs but thought they still bolted up.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
I thought they were the same also, post pics of what you got, ive seen diff designs but thought they still bolted up.
I guess I could use the style that bolts to the flywheel. These bolt to the crank.
Attached Thumbnails WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers-couplers.jpg  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered

I guess I could use the style that bolts to the flywheel. These bolt to the crank.
The flywheel type is what I have. They have the 2: zerk grease fittings at the splines. The rubber part of the couple is twice the size of what you show here and the entire piece is very robust by comparison. I learned of all of this during my project which mates Bravo I's to SBC's in place of Pre Alpha's. I learned that Alpha and Bravo Bell Housings are the same unless you use HD pieces. The later Alpha and Bravo "Flywheel' Couplers are the same and fit the later bell housing. I believe that the later Alpha I inner transom plates are the same as Standard Bravo.

I hope this helps you because all of the published information about all this is very sketchy...I think Mercruiser does that on purpose...seriously!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered

Still looking...

By the way the couplers that I do have that I bought for small blocks are actually for small blocks 1985 and older. I need 1986 and newer with the 3" bolt hole pattern or the standard flywheel couplers.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will big block type work?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Get me a couple measurements on the bolt pattern, I believe I have 2x sets of each sbc & bbc. They would be from late 80's or early 90's boat's
Old 04-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Still looking...

By the way the couplers that I do have that I bought for small blocks are actually for small blocks 1985 and older. I need 1986 and newer with the 3" bolt hole pattern or the standard flywheel couplers.
This is what you need...this is the HD Bravo coupler that bolts to the bolt holes around the perimeter of the fly wheel. What you have is dependent on the bolt pattern of the flywheel/crankshaft bolt pattern. Pre 1985/1986
motors have the 2: piece rear main seal vs 1986 forward having the 1: piece seal...the bolt pattern is different. If you move to this you are good to go. They are around $350-$500 ea new. I bought a pair on our Swap Shop from John Sr for $400 if I remember. Look around for these...lots of guys sell them on here.
Attached Images  
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GTOKILLER
Get me a couple measurements on the bolt pattern, I believe I have 2x sets of each sbc & bbc. They would be from late 80's or early 90's boat's
If you have the style that bolts to the crank like in pic the center line of the opposing holes is 3".
If you have the style like sprink posted that bolts to the flywheel there is only 1 type.
Let me know if they will work for my application and I will be down to pick them up.

johnny, If GTO's don't work out I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks everyone,
I need to get this boat back together so my friends wife can sell it asap.
Attached Thumbnails WTB Need pair of small block bravo couplers-couplers.jpg  

Last edited by Rookie; 04-14-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.