WTB: 502 Mercruiser block

Notices

WTB: 502 Mercruiser block

Old 05-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB: 502 Mercruiser block

I need to find a 502 block that hasn't been (now bare with me): destroyed, over-machined, sleeved, pitted, corroded, warped, over-heated, dropped or become the thing of nightmares past.

Reason you ask? I "had" a wonderful block, that I took to have a motor rebuilt into said block...that is now over-machined on one side so the pistons are .032" above the deck height at TDC. And the sleeves were not set properly (gaps at the base of the machining).

So where does that leave me?
(a) in a heap of *^%# and pissed as....well pissed enough to call the attorney...and I hate 'em
(B) in dire need of a block (Gen V) I believe.

Attached is a pic of the area below the timing cover. Hopefully the block you have sitting over under a pile of 3 year old PowerBoat magazines and empty WD-40 cans is the answer to my prayers.

Honest truth: I've paid (the fired machine shop) a handsome sum to assemble the motor once. The intake wouldn't fit in the valley, so I called another shop, who started inspecting the assembled motor and discovering the problems. So now I have a disassembled motor (again) a ruined block, and a dust-covered boat.

I'm crossing my fingers while I scratch off some lottery tickets for engine money and also hoping the inter-web finds me a block...

If you can help... PM me. I'll drive just short of anywhere (except to liberal-land) to get a block.

- Andrew
Old 05-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

I don't know about the money side (what you've spent already and how your budget looks) nor do I know about the boat. Maybe you've got twins so you need to match the engines? I've noticed this in the classifieds and it's seems like pretty good value to me. Could you offload the 502 and recoup a bit of the damage and get into a nice 496 instead?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...rop-ready.html

Just a thought, good luck with whatever you choose.

RR
Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rak rua
I don't know about the money side (what you've spent already and how your budget looks) nor do I know about the boat. Maybe you've got twins so you need to match the engines? I've noticed this in the classifieds and it's seems like pretty good value to me. Could you offload the 502 and recoup a bit of the damage and get into a nice 496 instead?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...rop-ready.html

Just a thought, good luck with whatever you choose.

RR
Well it's funny you should include that ad, because it's one that I have another window open for. Actually, I'm considering the 496. Bonus is that it's closed cooling.

I appreciate the assist. It's actually going into a 272 Baja. I was having the internals redone with stronger products to then strap a blower to it... although now the blower cash-oline (think: gasoline) has been soaked up by engine bs.

You would know if the 496 uses the same mounting points as the 502 would you?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Anoller
Well it's funny you should include that ad, because it's one that I have another window open for. Actually, I'm considering the 496. Bonus is that it's closed cooling.

I appreciate the assist. It's actually going into a 272 Baja. I was having the internals redone with stronger products to then strap a blower to it... although now the blower cash-oline (think: gasoline) has been soaked up by engine bs.

You would know if the 496 uses the same mounting points as the 502 would you?
I can't be too sure about mounting points, my guess would be the engine would drop straight in. Aren't they basically the same block? I'm sure someone here will answer that question very soon.

I love closed cooling and I love later model stock standard engines over something older that's been re-built.

Good luck,
RR

EDIT: Understand about the re-build and the blower, big decisions. Mmmm?

Last edited by rak rua; 05-09-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 496 will bolt right in .however the exhaust on a 496 may be a problem in your boat depending on outlet location ..the 496 elbow is taller
even tougher if you have y pipes and silent choice ..can you swap manifolds and use yours yes ..however that's opening another can of worms as the closed cooling is somewhat connected to it
Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about a 525 sc with 90 original hours still sealed ? 603-279-7676
Old 05-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Registered

I have two good 502 blocks
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you located and how much and any pics?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Registered

Detroit, MI , $1,200. . I can take pictures if you are interested
Old 05-20-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered

if you want to go 496 i have one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.