ISO 4.625 stroke crankshaft what's out there >

ISO 4.625 stroke crankshaft what's out there

Notices

ISO 4.625 stroke crankshaft what's out there

Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ISO 4.625 stroke crankshaft what's out there

Looking for 2) bbc 4.625 stroke cranks. Long shot to buy used but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has 2 collecting dust.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

are you sure you want to use a used crank - Yeah I know it can be tested but is it worth it. That is the heart of the engine. That fails and the engine is toast. BTDT
Old 04-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Registered

If it checks out and standard mains and rods. . Bryant, crower or callies not to worried about it. Sometimes people have new stuff laying around because they went diff direction to 4.75 or 4.5. But I'm good with used. Not much different than buying a used engine and rebuilding. Every boat out there for sale has used cranks in them.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by 5050
If it checks out and standard mains and rods. . Bryant, crower or callies not to worried about it. Sometimes people have new stuff laying around because they went diff direction to 4.75 or 4.5. But I'm good with used. Not much different than buying a used engine and rebuilding. Every boat out there for sale has used cranks in them.
Very true. Used sometimes scares people however I've built many engines with used parts. the way I see it is if parts are still alive amd show no obvious abuse or abnormal wear then off to the machine shop they go after I do my own once over. Rods for example have done their stretching etc so go have them resized. Chances are the stretch is out of them. I'd be more skeptical of used roller rockers and lifters. as long as a crank checks out well go for it. Once again you know it's been used and has held up so.... Besides a new one is used first time out anyway.

Basically with new parts I feel there can potentially be more risk. In a nutshell new or used I always have rotating assemblies and blocks cked over by shop - shot preened/magnafluxed. Several years ago I purchased new crank and rods for a build. They were middle of the road quality however crank was bent slightly and one rod had hairline crack. Not a casting flaw but a crack. If it wasn't for radio using the beams and polishing them it could have been easily overlooked.

Regardless new or used I always take precaution. Regarding original OP if you don't have any luck call molnar. Quality cranks and rods with excellent customer service. They do an excellent job with their crank grinding and polishing.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-17-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Registered

Starting motor build in couple months. Just checking to see if there are pair of callies 4.625 bbc cranks out there layin around from an abandoned project before I buy new ones.