Old 08-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Powerboat magazine article from 1990 here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2I&cad=rja
Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 907 Likes on 303 Posts

Check out the bow of the Risky Business race boat in that 90 article and this other one I found. http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/Ma...%20%286%29.pdf
Yes it's a Skater 40, but it's sponsons much closer resemble this 38.6 foot Warlock than anything else does. Same 2 step bottom half to a tee. If ya compare the back half of those two race boats, it's pretty darn close also. I found an article where the later built Risky Business 40' Skater poker run boat was specifically built as "a true catamaran by removing the center pod"... Now that scary cause my 38 has a deeper center pod than any other Warlock I've found.

I don't know the history between these two companies back then, only both were CA based and racing competitors. But if it was a kid we were talking about, I'd be doing some DNA testing... Who's baby does this look like to you guys?

-K

Last edited by kidturbo; 08-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Registered

NK; that second lotto video, at about 3:45 with those double cruiser wakes converging on you, is a testament to Warlocks hulls, as well as some fine driving skills... T

Those STX's are a wave eaters..:

thankyouthankyou:

-K
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

You might post some photos of the bottom and pm Steve 1 to comment on the design. I believe he spent his time on the east coast with similar tooling and design and likely does not know pedigree of hull (Tom may be only person who does!) but may be able to comment on what you might expect from performance etc...

The post above by NK brings back some memories- Gaunt-lett ended up here in the delta purchased by a friend. In its original big blower configuration ran close to 95 with bravos...which broke regularly! Had some nice launches on the delta and remember one ocean run out of Long Beach- I think that hull weighed 2-3x what my little Warlock does...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Registered

Thanks man, I'll ask Steve to comment.

Hauled it down the road again today, god that thing is wide.. Used a local set of scales to get the dry weight before starting any work. If the trailer title listed weight is correct, then the bare haul with seats and empty fuel tanks weights in at 7500lbs By the time ya add two 1000lb Dmax diesels, drives with transmissions at around 500lbs, some more interior, she'll be well over 10k dry. Now to figure the center of gravity, and shop for a bigger truck...

Here is some more pics of the bottom showing one of the steps and center pod better. Maybe someone will recognize the design concept, and what they were shooting for.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:11 AM
Registered

Chatted with Steve and a couple other cat history buffs on here about the hull. None were familiar with this design. According to one, defiantly not of Skater decent. Steve estimated off her weight she should run 80's with 525's, which is encouraging. So unless someone stumbles over a box of early 90's Warlock records or drawings, her origins will have to remain a mystery.

Time to put this to bed I guess. If anyone spots another 38 like her out there please let me know. Far as I can find, she is the once mentioned but never produced long lost 38 STX Cat.

Now back to collecting parts and onto rigging this pig. Soon as I can figure out what modern drive best fits a stepped and heavily setback transom..

Thanks to all for the input.

-K

Last edited by kidturbo; 08-16-2013 at 03:13 AM.