Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Western US/Lake Havasu
10 YO Girl killed at havasu 8/4/07 >

10 YO Girl killed at havasu 8/4/07

Notices

10 YO Girl killed at havasu 8/4/07

Old 08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some states have mandatory licensing. Oregon is one of them. You must take classes and pass a written test. They also have certain criteria for "age & hp". I believe 12 & under is upto 10hp with out adult supervision, and the so much hp upto age 16. But these kids and adults must have there Oregon Boating License to operate a motorized boat.

The sad part is that no matter how much or how many criteria or restrictions we put on boaters, there will always be the few, the arrogant, the DRUNKS! We read about them everyday when they kill people on the highway. It is just the same on the water.

I do believe in licensing and schooling. We were given a learning permit to be taught how to drive. Why not do the same with boating???
Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Registered

Another issue is insurance. The High Performance carriers require experience. If you don't have any & you haven't taken the High Perf. Boating schools w/ Tres, you are probably boating without insurance.

This may not be the issue in this case but someone above mentioned people with large fast boats & no experience.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:35 AM
Registered

Boating drunk IS illegal! Lets not try to impose more rules and think we will end up in a perfect world. The loss of boaters is sad, the loss of kids due to drunk boaters is unacceptable - period! If we all do the only right thing - take the keys away from someone too drunk to drive - it will be a good start for a safer lake. That someone is even talking about insurance on a thread started due to the death of a child only proves what a cynical world this really is. Kids life cannot be measured in $$, despite insurance agents thoughts. People go to the lake with their kids, and will continue to do so, drunk boaters or not. Therefore, simply take the keys from a drunk boater attempting to drive and consider yourself a hero for saving a kid that day. Your drunken boater will get over it - trust me!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 PM
Registered

Insurance god has been an off shore member for a long time, and I don't think he's posting for money. He's just givin his 2 cents. I wish more people would do the same.

It's amazing that if someone has a problem with getting on plane or someone buys a million dollar skater, 20 people post for 5 pages about what color is it? how fast does it go? but when a little girl dies at the hand of some drunk havasu A-hole we get 4 people on one page.

Insurance God, and anyone else who posted on this Thak you for the support.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Its just a child, what a shame. I look at my 10 year old and cant imagine what it would be like with out her, just a shame
Old 08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i also agree there needs to be some kind of a license just as with a bike or car. the loss of life especially in this situation is totally unacceptable
Old 10-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

While a license sounds good on paper, I think it will be about as effective as our road going drivers licenses. How many licensed drivers even know the driving laws? I see stupid things being done daily, which are due to just plain ignorance. The rest of the infractions are just plain laziness or defiance.

With respect to the boating accidents, has anyone noticed they almost always involve alcohol? Perhaps we need to ban alcohol and boating, as they are done with aircraft, or at least an open container law that we have in cars. It's unfortunate, but boating seems to attract people who abuse alcohol, and/or are alcoholics. They are not there really to boat. They are there to raft up, and drink up. Then they take off on their boats, with the results being this tragedy. Personally, I don't get it. I'm bored to death being around these drunks, but I know I'm in the minority.

We are going to need to police ourselves. The police can't be everywhere. We need to call in people to the police and sheriff who are drinking and boat driving.

Michael