Notices

lake havasu

Old 03-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert about Havasu having only been here a couple of days, but from a boating perspective, this place is way too small. I had heard about this place and saw it on tv and thought it sounded great, but in a fast boat, you would tire of this little lake quickly. I like to run fast and hard and can cover this lake in a few mins. The neat thing about Havasu is there are performance boats, shops and like minded people everywhere. But to live here and retire here compared to where you are now.... I guess the grass does always look greener elsewhere...

lake havasu-eliminator36051.jpg
Old 03-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I am no expert about Havasu having only been here a couple of days, but from a boating perspective, this place is way too small. I had heard about this place and saw it on tv and thought it sounded great, but in a fast boat, you would tire of this little lake quickly. I like to run fast and hard and can cover this lake in a few mins. The neat thing about Havasu is there are performance boats, shops and like minded people everywhere. But to live here and retire here compared to where you are now.... I guess the grass does always look greener elsewhere...

Attachment 442101
WOW!

I had always thought the same way that you did, in the fact that Lake Havasu was a much bigger lake than described.

I'm still going to try and make it out for Desert Storm but what does everyone do when the lake is crowded and you want to go for a full-blast run?

Wait until early morning??

Have fun ElimiNordic, wish I was there right now!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet
WOW!

I had always thought the same way that you did, in the fact that Lake Havasu was a much bigger lake than described.

I'm still going to try and make it out for Desert Storm but what does everyone do when the lake is crowded and you want to go for a full-blast run?

Wait until early morning??

Have fun ElimiNordic, wish I was there right now!
It looks like people here are into sitting and showing off more than riding. It would have to be rough in the summer with all the boats and the small size. According to Tim from Oregon Custom Marine, there are tons of MTI and Skaters etc here form the west coast guys and they all come here to play. I am getting ready to go tear up the water and will post some pictures.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic

Attachment 442101

Too bad you didnt have anyone to show you the lake.
It took me years to do it and I lived there.

"Lake Havasu" is just one of the colorado chain.

"Havasu"- runs all the way from the springs to the tip of Davis Dam. 90-135miles one way.

You can boat all the way from the Springs to Laughlin, gamble and eat for an hour and head back in one day before the sun goes down - thats a run.

That enough room to stretch its legs?

Then an hour or so by car have lake Mojave thats 75 miles from Catherines Landing to the Hoover dam for a 130 mile roundtrip. Mojave blows out in the afternoon wind with 4-5 footers. Youll either get some good float in or get beat to death.

Go google earth the run.

Now to live there......

I had a house in the keys in parker for a decade I know the place.

As far as living in the summer you'd better in the ac business or in the water because it gets stupid hot and stays that way.

and dry? .....Ive seen trees chasing dogs.

Floridians are shocked in my experience -
Yes they handle heat with Floridas sweltering summers and ridiculous humidity- but one type of heat does NOT equal the other.

In the summer months it does not cool at ALL at night maybe a few degrees. so at night you get 108 and in the day 112 for months.

Some people that can be comfortable in Florida just aren't in Havasu.

My advice would be to RENT a place for a summer season and check it out that way. This way you get to live it before committing to it.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails lake havasu-dam.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Too bad you didnt have anyone to show you the lake.
It took me years to do it and I lived there.

"Lake Havasu" is just one of the colorado chain.

"Havasu"- runs all the way from the springs to the tip of Davis Dam. 90-135miles one way.

You can boat all the way from the Springs to Laughlin, gamble and eat for an hour and head back in one day before the sun goes down - thats a run.

That enough room to stretch its legs?

Then an hour or so by car have lake Mojave thats 75 miles from Catherines Landing to the Hoover dam for a 130 mile roundtrip. Mojave blows out in the afternoon wind with 4-5 footers. Youll either get some good float in or get beat to death.

Go google earth the run.

Now to live there......

I had a house in the keys in parker for a decade I know the place.

As far as living in the summer you'd better in the ac business or in the water because it gets stupid hot and stays that way.

and dry? .....Ive seen trees chasing dogs.

Floridians are shocked in my experience -
Yes they handle heat with Floridas sweltering summers and ridiculous humidity- but one type of heat does NOT equal the other.

In the summer months it does not cool at ALL at night maybe a few degrees. so at night you get 108 and in the day 112 for months.

Some people that can be comfortable in Florida just aren't in Havasu.

My advice would be to RENT a place for a summer season and check it out that way. This way you get to live it before committing to it.

Uncle Dave
+1
bought property there sight unseen and decided to go down there a year later and check things out and start making some plans to start moving there it was a fathers day weekend and temps hit 122 degrees hotel pool was 80,hotel lawn chairs and concrete was scorchin,a quick boat ride to the Sand Bar was even hottt, and the lake water was like a friggin hottt tub. after a 3 minute discussion with the wife it was back to the plane in Havazoo and easterly bound ....it seemed like all the boats rolled in friday afternoon & eve and were gone by Sunday at noon. the Sand Bar is the coolest but thats one of those places very cool to visit but just could'nt live there
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

Im glad you posted that because people always think Im exaggerating.

(BTW - I would love to experience your boat on this chain and can show you around next time you come out if we can find a way to get together. or Ill supply the ride. )

YOu are also painting a more accurate temperature picture than I am because people simply dont believe the number much less know what it feels like.

It really does get in the 120s often.

You cant even boat without a bimini you will simply burn alive.
Its like a convection oven you need to get in the water every 15-20 minutes and Soak down then it will dry completely in a few miles.

Here is a screenshot from a trip from Catherine's to Hoover this summer- it was 115 all day and the faster we went the faster it even hotter it was like a convection oven.

My Buddy blew a vertical shaft on his outboard and I stepped up and took his family out that day and to get everyones mind off a broken boat I decided on a full dam run.

Plus my bimini can really only take about 80 and at one point a gust of wind tore the METAL on the back strap. All that saved it was the fact that it is a superb metal rod type with full accon hardware.

UD
Attached Thumbnails lake havasu-heading-back-katherines.jpg   lake havasu-rhino-trip.jpg   lake havasu-dsc07203.jpg  

lake havasu-dsc07174.jpg   lake havasu-dsc07169.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 03-05-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Im glad you posted that because people always think Im exaggerating.

(BTW - I would love to experience your boat on this chain and can show you around next time you come out if we can find a way to get together. or Ill supply the ride. )

YOu are also painting a more accurate temperature picture than I am because people simply dont believe the number much less know what it feels like.

It really does get in the 120s often.

You cant even boat without a bimini you will simply burn alive.
Its like a convection oven you need to get in the water every 15-20 minutes and Soak down then it will dry completely in a few miles.

Here is a screenshot from a trip from Catherine's to Hoover this summer- it was 115 all day and the faster we went the faster hotter it got.

My Buddy blew a vertical shaft on his outboard and I stepped up and took his family out that day and to get everyones mind off a broken boat I decided on a full dam run.

Plus my bimini can really only take about 80 and at one point a gust of wind tore the METAL on the back strap. All that saved it was the fact that it is a superb metal rod type with full accon hardware.

UD
you are exaggerating NOT !!!!!!

the ride to the Sand Bar in 122 degrees felt like a Sauna and the lake was not refreshing at all (only the cold beer in the cooler) the day after we flew out of Havazoo airport back east it was 128 degrees not much fun unless your in a swimming pool up to your neck in water i've been back up there in Dec & Jan when we think its beautiful at 80 degrees and the locals at the chanel are in hooded sweatshirts drinkin beer freezin there azzs off seems like the cops are always lookin to hassle got a ticket at the Sand Bar and another at the channel for swimming across and not walking all the way around on the brite side being that hott the chiks wear next to nuthin

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 03-05-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Its one of the nicest <remote> 3 season towns around though.

To whoever said it empties on Sunday is right.

This is because most of the cities traffic comes from La, Phoenix, or Vegas- then goes home on Sunday.

Ive made that sunday drive home for well over 25 years now.

Uncle Dave
Old 03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Its one of the nicest <remote> 3 season towns around though.

To whoever said it empties on Sunday is right. This is because most of the cities traffic comes from La, Phoenix, or Vegas- then goes home on Sunday.

Ive made that sunday drive home for well over 25 years now.

Uncle Dave

we left Mira Loma on a friday late afternoon and that right hand lane was a solid line of trailers & boats all heading to Havazoo for the weekend , a holiday weekend during season would have to be insane its still a beautiful place & body of water and can't wait to make the run to Laughlin again .
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Registered

talkin about heat, any idea about how hot it will be in April for D.S? Thanks Jaime

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.