Notices

lake havasu

Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
Never lived there, just visited there once for 10 days. I also have some friends who live there. I am in the a/c business also and I spoke to a local guy about it. He tells me there is big demand for a/c repair people in the summer who want to work instead of play. If you are going to work a/c there, it looks like one would have to work on mobile homes/rv units, which a lot of us will not. One thing I found so cool about this place was the number of hot rods, dirt bikes, dune buggies etc. They are everywhere and I could not go anywhere without seeing a street rod or a performance cat. The number of people there in one small city with like minds to me was boggling. I did not like the restaurant selection nor the lack of potential nightlife activities year round. In the winter you are overrun with snowbirds and in the summer with spring breakers in pasties and thongs, which is not all bad. I am personally not that crazy about boating on a long narrow river. I like wide open space. IMHO
Dan, why do u think havasu is so popular? dont u think when the east coasters get here w/ their big boats they're disappointed bcuz the lake is so little?...but they keep coming back..idk
Old 03-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by local805
Just Wondering How Many People Responding To This Post Have Actually Lived In Havasu???
Have a house there, but live in Vegas. I can only speak of my own experience with friends that DO live there, and what I have seen in my times there.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered

Default Havasu Grand Prix

Lake Havasu Grand Prix 2011
This weekend was the season opener of Pacific Offshore Powerboat Racing Association at Lake Havasu City, Arizona. The weather didn’t cooperate as nice as we would have liked but all in all it was a great weekend. There were approximately 6,200 people in attendance for both the race & Lake Havasu boat show.
Friday was the first day of racing excitement. The boats ran 2 heats of 30 miles each. It was cloudy and the temp was in the high 50’s making the water was rough & wild. Friday night was the “K & N Filter Texas Hold-em Poker Tournament”. There was a great turn out, about 100 people, as everyone looked forward to the possibility of winning the grand prize of a K & N cold air induction system. Those who don’t qualify to win the air induction system always have a chance of winning a $100 gift certificate from K & N Filters. Saturday we were not quite so lucky with the weather. The sky turned dark & though down some lightening bolts which sent out a black flag on the course. The boats all came back to shore and side-tided together to wait out the storm. About an hour & a half later the sky went blue & the boats resumed the race. The K & N Filter sponsored team of Pig Iron Racing took the checkered flag in P-4 class.
Pig Iron Racing uses K & N Filters on their boat & well as their boat hauler. All their support vehicles run K & N cold air induction systems, which helps add additional horse power needed to haul all the additional equipment needed. Extra parts are always needed in case of a boat engine failure. Brad Johnson, team owner, states he could not imagine running any other filters on his custom engines. He also adds, “Without the air induction systems we use it would be hard to make the big haul back home. Our shop is at 6,200 ft at Lake Tahoe, California. It’s hard on the vehicles engine making that climb with all the weight we carry.” Pacific Offshore & Pig Iron Racing wants to thank K & N Filters for their continued support.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Brad where can I find some pics,results and all the good stuff about the race?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Default Havasu Results

The results are at pacificoffshore.com with some pics and more info at pigironracing.com
Attached Thumbnails lake havasu-_s100151w.jpg  

Last edited by Brad Johnson; 04-20-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered

I live in Havasu year round and love it. We have lived here over 8 years now. Yeah it's hot in the summer maybe because it's the Desert,,,,duh. There are alot of other things to do than just boating. The town does sponser other events thru the year other than boating related much of it during the winter months, different festivals, BBQ events, Hot Rod events,,,etc. We boat during the week not on weekends and holidays but we do boat year round. I'm semi-retired and work the weekends, which I love, buys boat gas and beer. The population is around 55,000, which is fine with me. I don't like the big cities. The job market and pay are not the best but that is not unusual for a resort type of town. The Lake it self is about 25 miles long and then there is the river to Laughlin. When running up to Laughlin the worst area is just above Needles other than that no big deal. What is real cool is that you is the varaity of boats on Havasu, you never know what you will see next. Your boat at 27' is no big deal for Havasu, it's about the norm. here! You can park your boat all day in the Channel and meet alot of nice peeps or you can cuirse around to different spots all day or park in a cove for some peace. We have met alot of boaters and many who have become real good friends. Than there is Lake Mohave about 1 1/2 hours north, Lake Mead at Vegas or if you want a REAL Treat there is Lake Powell which is about 6 1/2 hours north east of Havasu, Lake Powell at full pool is about 180 miles long with over 2000 miles of shore line and with the snow pack in the Rockies Powell will be on a big rise this year. You just need to come here and check it out and decide for yourself.