Notices

Colorado Check-in?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
I haven't made it back during boating season for probably four years. I have a 36' Apache and pulling her over Monarch would be borderline scary LOL. You would hear my Jake Brake singing all the way down in Gunny.

I actually have an unfortunate trip that I am going to have to make back in the next couple weeks due to a friends passing to attend his memorial.

Then probably do one more trip in the spring to to do a ski descent of couple of 14ers.

I mainly boat at LOTO these days since we have a place there and it is close to my primary residence in St. Louis.

What do you do for work out there? That was one of the reasons I left was it was really hard to make a buck in CB/gunny. I figured I would go back to the midwest and bust my tail and hopefully be able to have a place there in ten years or so.
Sorry to here about your friend, chances are I know him or of him. You know how how Gunni is (small). I enjoy doing the 14ers also, got 29 of them done,not on skis though. I have been in the construction business for a long time building large houses. The last 10 years I have been managing a large ranch just North of town. Enjoying being out of the building bizz. Although I do get to do some around the ranch once in a while. Looked at an Apache on Utube looks nice whats the beam? When I went looking for a boat I wanted to be able to trailer it without permits and such, so stayed with 8'6". Bring the Summer on!!!! Look me up when your in town if ya like we can have a beer at the brewery.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZ
Sorry to here about your friend, chances are I know him or of him. You know how how Gunni is (small). I enjoy doing the 14ers also, got 29 of them done,not on skis though. I have been in the construction business for a long time building large houses. The last 10 years I have been managing a large ranch just North of town. Enjoying being out of the building bizz. Although I do get to do some around the ranch once in a while. Looked at an Apache on Utube looks nice whats the beam? When I went looking for a boat I wanted to be able to trailer it without permits and such, so stayed with 8'6". Bring the Summer on!!!! Look me up when your in town if ya like we can have a beer at the brewery.
Slide happened on Friday in British Columbia, but they just released his name yesterday it was Adam Lawton He lived in cb from 1999 until 2005 or so and then lived in Salt Lake but was in the valley often (He got his undergrad at Western). http://www.skierboyz.blogspot.com/

My Apache is actually only an 8' beam but heavy SOB over 15,000lbs on the trailer.

I'll try and shoot you a PM when I am coming back for his memorial. My guess is it will be a couple weeks because the funeral is back east this Saturday.

You will definately have one of the baddest boats on the Mesa next season!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZ
Its pretty low but that is typical. Our snow pack right now is only 66% of normal we are behind a bit but Feb and March are our two biggest snow months so hopefully we will catch up! Last few years it has been full come Spring run off. I have done alot of building in Lake City years ago at a ranch just North of town, spent three years commuting there. Do you bring your boat up and go to the Mesa in the Summer?
I got my place...rather built it back in 1973. It is just past The Texan Lodge and just below Round Top Mountain...log cabin with everything but a stinking phone. I know what ranch you are talking about on the North end of town...the original name escapes me at the moment, but it also use to have a landing strip there. I flew in there many times, but you never want to go in early in the morning or early evening. Deer get in the way and there were several airplanes hit them over the years. I have several friends that have 5 to 50 acre plots in the Blue Mesa Properties development area. Years back, I got into a pissin match with Roy Romer coming in to land at the Blue Mesa International airport...lolol. We were on final in a twin Commander turbine and Romer cut in front of us knowing that we were close and announced that he was landing first in his Cessna 210. I had to power up and go around. At the time, Romer was the Govenor of Colorado and his family use to own almost all the property that became the Blue Mesa Propeties. I guess you have heard the "tail" about Ben Gray and the Indians...lolol. If they ever drain big Blue...they are suppose to find his remains in there. I pulled my old boat up there a few times. It was fun, but I wouldnt do it again...just too far and too much money. I would rather take the dirt bikes and go over the 4wd roads. I have always had good luck fishing Lake San Crystable in Lake City. It is one of only two natural lakes...full of trout and salmon. I always used Velveta cheese for bait and the trout sure do like it. I will be up there again in late May on the GoldWing when a bunch of us go on our 5th annual scooter trip. We will run thru Gunnison on our way to a friends place in Aspen. Two years ago, we crossed over the dam on our way to Hotchkiss and the lake was over full. The year before that, it was down over 50 feet and close to that last year. I might be up close to you in a few weeks. We are thinking about going to Monarch and ski. Yea...I know it isnt that great there, but it is never crowded and I have a place to stay in Salida that belongs to another friend.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered

P S check the monarch ski report before you go. When I drove over Monarch a week and a half ago it was super thin up there snowpack wise and no snowmaking. The West side of the pass looked like late October and the East side of the pass looked like early to mid November the snowpack was so thin.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Registered

P S check the monarch ski report before you go. When I drove over Monarch a week and a half ago it was super thin up there snowpack wise and no snowmaking. The West side of the pass looked like late October and the East side of the pass looked like early to mid November the snowpack was so thin.
We have been watching the reports. Pickins are sorta slim right now. We might wait till later or go somewhere else...Aspen area or Durango.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Your to damn old to go skiing, Paul.
Jay
Old 01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by never enuff
Your to damn old to go skiing, Paul.
Jay
lolol...Jay...I am a "down-hiller" as they say. I might not can do much of anything else, but I can ski...and at my age...I dont even think about falling. Sometimes I will cruise along whenit is somewhat crowded, but if there arent too many out...its bonz-eyeeeeeee to the bottom. You and Mamma come go with us Jay. You guys are only 30 minutes out from here when we leave out. We are going up in my cousins 690 Commander.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Slide happened on Friday in British Columbia, but they just released his name yesterday it was Adam Lawton He lived in cb from 1999 until 2005 or so and then lived in Salt Lake but was in the valley often (He got his undergrad at Western). http://www.skierboyz.blogspot.com/

My Apache is actually only an 8' beam but heavy SOB over 15,000lbs on the trailer.

I'll try and shoot you a PM when I am coming back for his memorial. My guess is it will be a couple weeks because the funeral is back east this Saturday.

You will definately have one of the baddest boats on the Mesa next season!!!
Looks like Adam knew how to have a good time and enjoy life!
Is your Apache a twin? That sounds good if you get to town. I'm really looking forward to next Summer!!! We are going to make a trip to Havasu in late Feb to kick it off. Hopefully hit a nice sunny week!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
GAZ
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pslonaker
I got my place...rather built it back in 1973. It is just past The Texan Lodge and just below Round Top Mountain...log cabin with everything but a stinking phone. I know what ranch you are talking about on the North end of town...the original name escapes me at the moment, but it also use to have a landing strip there. I flew in there many times, but you never want to go in early in the morning or early evening. Deer get in the way and there were several airplanes hit them over the years. I have several friends that have 5 to 50 acre plots in the Blue Mesa Properties development area. Years back, I got into a pissin match with Roy Romer coming in to land at the Blue Mesa International airport...lolol. We were on final in a twin Commander turbine and Romer cut in front of us knowing that we were close and announced that he was landing first in his Cessna 210. I had to power up and go around. At the time, Romer was the Govenor of Colorado and his family use to own almost all the property that became the Blue Mesa Propeties. I guess you have heard the "tail" about Ben Gray and the Indians...lolol. If they ever drain big Blue...they are suppose to find his remains in there. I pulled my old boat up there a few times. It was fun, but I wouldnt do it again...just too far and too much money. I would rather take the dirt bikes and go over the 4wd roads. I have always had good luck fishing Lake San Crystable in Lake City. It is one of only two natural lakes...full of trout and salmon. I always used Velveta cheese for bait and the trout sure do like it. I will be up there again in late May on the GoldWing when a bunch of us go on our 5th annual scooter trip. We will run thru Gunnison on our way to a friends place in Aspen. Two years ago, we crossed over the dam on our way to Hotchkiss and the lake was over full. The year before that, it was down over 50 feet and close to that last year. I might be up close to you in a few weeks. We are thinking about going to Monarch and ski. Yea...I know it isnt that great there, but it is never crowded and I have a place to stay in Salida that belongs to another friend.
Great a fellow pilot! We just sold our RV6A.....but bought a boat! I enjoyed working in LC but glad to not be doing that drive every day. Skiing still terrible not just here but every where. Love the motorcycle thing also! Like I told Baywatch give a pm if you get up this way and we can get a beer!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GAZ
Looks like Adam knew how to have a good time and enjoy life!
Is your Apache a twin? That sounds good if you get to town. I'm really looking forward to next Summer!!! We are going to make a trip to Havasu in late Feb to kick it off. Hopefully hit a nice sunny week!
Yeah she has twins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZNft...eature=related It is the one with the red white and blue headress in this clip (looks pretty plain next to the chief boat).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.