Notices

Lake Powell vs Havasu

Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Powell vs Havasu

I live at Lake Tahoe and both of my boats are in storage, completely winterized. Hustler Talon 377 and warlock 25 cat (1000 HP). Desert storm in Havasu is next April, can't wait for boating season to start back up. But, isn't Powell a lot closer to tahoe, more scenic, and less rude people? I like the "Hot August Nights" type of atmosphere of Havasu, it's really cool! It seems that after an hr or two I've explored pretty much all of Havasu. I have never been to Powell, but have seen pictures. Very nice looking pictures, and isn't it huge compared to havasu? hows the temps there in April? Not even sure exactly where it is, think it outside of Vegas? Opinions?

Last edited by TahoeRick; 12-09-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I live at Lake Tahoe and both of my boats are in storage, completely winterized. Hustler Talon 377 and warlock 25 cat (1000 HP). Desert storm in Havasu is next April, can't wait for boating season to start back up. But, isn't Powell a lot closer to tahoe, more scenic, and less rude people? I like the "Hot August Nights" type of atmosphere of Havasu, it's really cool! It seems that after an hr or two I've explored pretty much all of Havasu. I have never been to Powell, but have seen pictures. Very nice looking pictures, and isn't it huge compared to havasu? hows the temps there in April? Not even sure exactly where it is, think it outside of Vegas? Opinions?
Powell is on the Utah/Azrona boader and about 720 miles from Tahoe. Havasu is 600 miles from Tahoe so not a huge difference in distance.

But Powell and Havasu are two completely different Lakes. Havasu has tons of places to stay and eat, party, buy stuff, bla, bla, bla. Not so sure where to find the "Rude" people Have you taken the ride up Topock Gorge to Pirates Cove? Have you been in Steamboat Cove to see the big horn sheep come down to drink?

IMO Havasu has a lot to see and do for whatever you are looking for. Hard Core Party Scene in the channel or sandbar on most holidays to quite coves for just hangin out, to great scenic rides up and down the Lake or up river thru the gorge to Laughlin if you want.

Powell is mostly beach camping or a house boat. No real party scene but incredible places to boat and play. More scenic in a different way then Havasu. Google Havasu and Powell. You can see the difference in scenery.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

My two favorite lakes. I can be in bullfrog in 3.5 hours from my place. As stated above the lakes are completely different. It does not get prettier than Powell. But you need to bring the party if that's what you want. And yes it is way way bigger than havasu. I would advise you to go to Page AZ to stay if your not going to camp.

Powell is still probably pretty cool at that time. It is 3500 feet or so.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blefever
Powell is on the Utah/Azrona boader and about 720 miles from Tahoe. Havasu is 600 miles from Tahoe so not a huge difference in distance.

But Powell and Havasu are two completely different Lakes. Havasu has tons of places to stay and eat, party, buy stuff, bla, bla, bla. Not so sure where to find the "Rude" people Have you taken the ride up Topock Gorge to Pirates Cove? Have you been in Steamboat Cove to see the big horn sheep come down to drink?

IMO Havasu has a lot to see and do for whatever you are looking for. Hard Core Party Scene in the channel or sandbar on most holidays to quite coves for just hangin out, to great scenic rides up and down the Lake or up river thru the gorge to Laughlin if you want.

Powell is mostly beach camping or a house boat. No real party scene but incredible places to boat and play. More scenic in a different way then Havasu. Google Havasu and Powell. You can see the difference in scenery.

Both places seem to have their great points. At one time I wanted to be a forest ranger, hence, the appeal of Powell. Yet, I am a real gear head, hence, the appeal of the atmosphere during desert storm. Didn't know Powell was further away - thanks! I have never had any problem with people at Havasu but always seem to see a thread of someone who has.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Here are a couple pics from Powell.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JD Dearden

Its been a few years since we've been to Powell, but these pictures sure make me want to go again. That Lake offers incredible views, water and coves. I don't mind beach camping, but a houseboat with a few good friends is hard to beat.

Thanks for the photos.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Dearden

Looks like a great place for a bar
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Registered

Your SS looks really nice sitting in that cove!
Powell is by far my favorite lake but I haven't been to Havasu yet.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Registered

Imo, Havasu is an awsome lake for hanging out and the see and be seen stuff. It is a performance boat haven. However, the lake itself is small, shallow, and you can see every cove nook and cranny in 1 weekend. Powell is huge in comparison to Havi. You could spend a week on that lake and not see all of it. Everytime we go to Powell its just amazing. We went in April this year, weather wasnt bad, but there would be hours running the lake that we would never see another boat. When we did, it was a fishing boat. Feels like Mars and if you have any problems, help is a long ways away.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
I think theres a annual gathering out there now. try doing a search on Powellapalooza. Might be a fun time, with a few more sport boats around. Also they were building a hotel/marina on the Utah side like 3yrs ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.