Notices

Exploring Lake Havasu

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exploring Lake Havasu

Decided to go to Havasu for the boat show and desert storm. Got a nice place rented too. Been there two years ago and had a blast. Question - last time when leaving the canal north I turned right and it appeared to be a little shallow so I turned around and went out into the lake. Yet, I was just told that I missed out on some spectacular scenery by not going upstream. I have a 38 ft cat and don't want to get in small or shallow areas. Hard to read the water when it's not too clear. Any advice on how far I can safely go not having to worry about depth?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow us. Meet up with us while at the lake, upstream is pretty awesome. Might get a noise ticket so I idle through the 5 zones on one motor. Doug
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Follow us. Meet up with us while at the lake, upstream is pretty awesome. Might get a noise ticket so I idle through the 5 zones on one motor. Doug
Cool! Lets get a meeting set up. We are leaving Sat morning on 4/20. Brad just got engine apart. Detonation damage to one piston - chunk missing from it! Some other damage too - mangled push rod and rocker tip and a slightly scored cylinder (2 total). But, not as bad as we thought. He is going to add O2 bungs to exhaust, change blower set up and tune for Tahoe. He is going to meet us at Havasu and tune it there for sea level and put original blower pulley back on. He is arriving Tuesday so can't use boat until then- it would be running too lean.

Rick
Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TahoeRick
Cool! Lets get a meeting set up. We are leaving Sat morning on 4/20. Brad just got engine apart. Detonation damage to one piston - chunk missing from it! Some other damage too - mangled push rod and rocker tip and a slightly scored cylinder (2 total). But, not as bad as we thought. He is going to add O2 bungs to exhaust, change blower set up and tune for Tahoe. He is going to meet us at Havasu and tune it there for sea level and put original blower pulley back on. He is arriving Tuesday so can't use boat until then- it would be running too lean.

Rick
Brad thinks Folsom Lake is too small for tuning...!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Folsom might be a bit low by April, depends on the amount of early snow melt. Full it is more than big enough to tune a boat. We frequently float the boats there before Havasau to shake them out after the winter layup. We head to Havasau on wed. April 24th. And leave on Sunday morning. Brad will do a great job, welcome to the expense of high performance boating. Doug
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 27daytona
Folsom might be a bit low by April, depends on the amount of early snow melt. Full it is more than big enough to tune a boat. We frequently float the boats there before Havasau to shake them out after the winter layup. We head to Havasau on wed. April 24th. And leave on Sunday morning. Brad will do a great job, welcome to the expense of high performance boating. Doug
Welcome to the expense of high performance boating? Funny guy! This is really expensive!!! Going to essentially be brand new when he is done, and will work with my 36 X 16.50 5 blade props at Tahoe and sea level.

I thought Folsom plenty big too. Will talk to brad again...

Keep in touch, send me a pm with your email address and I will respond.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No secret. [email protected] 916 539-2540 is my contact number. Brad will do a great job. Doug
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Registered

Also just for added info for entering the river. There is now a "no wake" entrance into the river on the Calif. side or west of the reed island, there are plenty bouy's so it is easy to spot. They dredged it out last winter. Running on plane up into the river is no problem once someone shows you the way, there will be a lot of boaters to follow.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WTDecker
Also just for added info for entering the river. There is now a "no wake" entrance into the river on the Calif. side or west of the reed island, there are plenty bouy's so it is easy to spot. They dredged it out last winter. Running on plane up into the river is no problem once someone shows you the way, there will be a lot of boaters to follow.
Thanks! I will make sure I follow a similar sized boat going up river. Hit one rock and it can really mess up your entire summer...!

My first boat was a 18 ft Yamaha with twin 135 HP 2 stroke jet ski motors. Sounded like a Ferrari, was fairly fast, could do great tricks with it, sucked gas, beat the snot out if you in rough water, and drafted 11 in of water! Never worried about hitting anything!

Last edited by TahoeRick; 02-23-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WTDecker
I noticed all those buoys last summer so I took a ride thru on the west side. I won't do that again. It was about 2.5 to 3 feet deep. I had to idle all the way thru with my drives tilted all the way up-against the current.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.