Notices

Newport Harbor Baots?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Newport Harbor Baots?

Anything going on in Newport? My boss has a home in Madera but spends the week down here in a trailer at Newport. He goes out in his kayak every evening and said he saw a bunch of those "What do you call them, Donzo's and cigar boats?".

Was wondering if anything was going on.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe boaters getting ready for the S.C.O.P.E. Catalina run this weekend.

SCOPE Perfomance Boating Club: Southern California Offshore Powerboat Elite
Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Registered

Correction. I think its the Rock the Dock weekend in Dana Point.

Last edited by deepv29; 05-23-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by deepv29
Correction. I thinks its the Rock the Dock weekend in Dana Point.
I know. I started that event!

We usually run to Newport for lunch on Saturday and Oceanside on Sunday or Monday.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Registered

So does this answer your boss's question? And do you disclose the type of boat you have?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Registered

Im confused. You started the event but was wondering what was going on?. Maybe I have it all wrong. Not an offshore type event your boss was referring to?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Registered

Sorry for the confusion.

He asked me if anything was going on in Newport. I told him about Dana for this coming weekend but didn't know if anything was going on in Newport now so was asking here. I would have posted it on the SCOPE site but pretty much no one goes on there anymore except for Nort.

I had a 29 Baja Outlaw but sold it over a year ago to get into a Gun or similar sized boat. Been remodeling my house so haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. We ran with Dan and Lisa (H2otoie) last year at Dana but may not make it down this year as we are still doing house work.

The Dana event is always a great time. Last time we had the boat down there (2 years ago) we had the end slip so we set up the BBQ, tables, coolers, etc right on the dock and left them there all weekend. We usually get a room at the Dana Pt Marina Inn so we can imbibe in the refreshments and not have to drive anywhere. The rooms are kind of crappy but are cheap and it's right there at the docks.

A few years ago I got a guest slip at Oceanside (not on Memorial Day) which was nice but the ramp sucks. So recommended we do an Oceanside run which is just a little longer than Dana to Newport. The first year on of the guys called the Oceanside Yacht Club and they let us ties up at their docks. Then we went to the Jolly Rogers for lunch and found that they have a ton of dock space that no one seems to use. So now we run to Oceanside and tie up in front of the JR and have a nice lunch. The run back is "up hill" so can be a little bumpier but it's always been fun. Last year we were running behind Tom (Hot For Teacher) and could periodically see inside the whole cockpit as he launched over some bigger waves!

Looks like they are going to have a good turn out this year. You should check it out. (I think I'm talking myself into taking at least one day off and trying to catch a ride with someone!).
Attached Thumbnails Newport Harbor Baots?-img_4681.jpg   Newport Harbor Baots?-img_4683.jpg   Newport Harbor Baots?-nv8589kp.540x.jpg  

Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Registered

That's great info, thanks! I won't make the Dana Point run but always interested in getting out there. I haven't had my 1986 Formula F302 to Catalina yet. 50 50 chance of going this sunday to Two Harbors pending weather and crowds for mooring. I went form an 08 Shocwave to this Formula. I have launched 6 times out of Sunset Aquatic and love its ocean performance. I like the old school.....This thread needs more West Coast / Havasu information!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Your Formula is a great ocean boat! I looked at a late 80's 357 with Kaama drives but surveyed bad so passed on it.

If you have limited ocean experience I really recommend running with someone as it can get really nasty out there sometimes. Definitely check out the scope functions. You are most likely going to have trouble getting a mooring this Sunday. Normally Sunday would be okay but not on a 3 day weekend. You really should think about doing Dana on Sunday. They have a great ramp there and the guys are running to Oceanside. Good chance to meet a bunch of them.

Nort posts SCOPE stuff on FaceBook too.

Last edited by BajaFresh; 05-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Registered

I will check out scope. So the idea is to trailer to dana point and launch there? Spend the night and go to oceanside next day? I'm stored at sunset aquatic. I could make the run to DP. Took my last boat to catalina twice. But I agree. Ocean is a learning curve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.