Notices

Moving to California

Old 05-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to California

Guys, I am entertaining a job offer in California. I would be around the Los Angeles area. If I were to bring my boat out there with me, is there anywhere to store it that anyone knows about and also where is the place to go ride? thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Jamie,

There are quite a few places that store boats around here. As for places to ride? You've got LOTS of choices. Fresh or Salt? How far do you want to tow? How fast do you want to go? Any idea what area you think you want to live? Anywhere from the SoCal area to Catalina is popular. "The River" is always busy. Long Beach behind the breakwater is miles of go fast without the waves. California lakes all have "speed limits" that won't be to your liking. (35mph last I looked). Mission Bay is awesome, and rarely rough.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stay where yur at,,cali is the most expensive place to live,,a friend of mine mover their and he had to rent a spot in the desert that was cheap enough to keep his boat,,inner city limits would not allow him to keep his boat in his driveway but you canstore as many cars as you want,go figure!..a 50x 100 lot for 500 k no thanx lol i thought it was crazy..
Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM
Registered

I am looking at the Redondo Beach Area. My boat runs mid 70s, but I cruise around 55. I just like to drive to a sandbar and hang out a little then run some more so lake or ocean does not matter to me. Where do most of the go fast boats hang out?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Registered

STAY IN TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that your not welcome here, it's just that most of us are trying to figure a way out of here. 20 years ago when I moved here it was a great place to live. Not so much any more. My next door neighbor just sold his house and moved to Texas. I think he went in the right direction. Boating here actually sucks IMHO. Lakes all have speed limits, the ocean and bays are salt (of course) and the River and Havasu (where I boat) is HOT!!!! And I don't mean good hot I mean HOT HOT, 125 degrees. Miserable all summer long. And last but not least we have the stupid 55 mph law when trailering so it takes you forever to get to any lake or river. So as soon as I'm able I will be off like a prom dress.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered

Thanks hondo!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Registered

If boating is truly your passion and the job is just a job, go somewhere for better boating. Here's my 2 cents. Havasu is too hot to enjoy in the summer. 125 is no exaggeration. Now you can sit and drink in the "channel". But a thousand people drinking beer are way to comfortable to get out of the water to pee (the channel is a pretty narrow stretch of beach access water)..... The off season is great in Havasu. Lake Mead is a better boating place as it is much bigger but its a 5 hour drive. Mead is next door to Las Vegas and Henderson so accommodations are easy. I prefer the ocean as there are far less drunken idiots. Catalina is a great day, you just have to watch the wind and wave forecasts. I would say compared to a place like Florida, California can't compete for destinations. If you are willing to drive several hours, performance boating the lakes here is ok. Local lakes regulate speed and most are so small that you have to turn around after 4 seconds of WOT.

As stated above, Long beach is a good day of boating with restaurants and courtesy docks available in the area. And I have to agree with expensive. California is over rated. We may not have an annual hurricane, but we have 100's of days of smog, traffic, fire and smoke season,... As for storing the boat...$100-250 depending on outdoor uncovered to inside with valet service. If its a dream job you are moving for and boating is just a hobby then So Cal can be a very active place with lots to see and do. Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Registered

I am in the oil and gas industry so I would not say any job is a dream job lol, but it does pay good and it's a 4-5 year project so I figured what the hell bring my boat and enjoy it for a while!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Registered

Sounds like a good plan. A 4-5 year project is long enough to love So Cal or learn that you don' care for it. Definitely plan on boating. Mission Bay in San Diego would be a 2 hour trailer drive but lots of water and amenities. A few of the hotels on Harbor Island and Shelter Island have docking and some at the hotels, which are on San Diego Bay. Mission bay has accommodations too. As you come north, Dana Point has launching, courtesy docks and restaurants, Further north is Newport Bay, however its 3 miles of no wake zone to get all the way in. Huntington Harbor (Sunset Aquatic) is my favorite to launch and Davies Locker at Alamitos Bay. All within a couple miles of Long Beach harbor. Rainbow harbor (long Beach) is a small area surrounded by restaurants. If you are gonna end up in Redondo, then Marina Del Rey may be a good launch pad for you. There is also King Harbor right there.

Sounds like a good 5 year plan. A great site for general and forum information on local areas is City-Data.com. Just put in the city you are interested in.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Redondo is great! My old 'hood. Just moved from that area last year. My daughter still lives up there. Not a lot of performance boats at King Harbor. Marina Del Rey hates them, but there are a few that launch from there. Long Beach has a couple, and the LB-Catalina ski race starts from there and is a blast to watch. I THINK King Harbor has a storage/launch service. If not, then Long Beach is your next best bet and only 30-35 mins driving time. I know you can get dry storage at Alamitos Bay area. Not sure about the San Pedro marina area. There are quite a few performance guys in Newport Beach and Dana Point. If you launch out of Long Beach, you're just 15 miles to Newport.

Stop by the Rajin' Cajun on PCH in South Redondo for dinner. They just moved and reopened the place.

Last edited by Pilotpete; 06-02-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.