Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Western US/Lake Havasu
Redondo to Santa Barbara 30' boat. >

Redondo to Santa Barbara 30' boat.

Notices

Redondo to Santa Barbara 30' boat.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redondo to Santa Barbara 30' boat.

Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted some advice here. I'm on my 8th boat now, started when I was 16 so very experienced, mostly on lakes but last 6 years I've been going in the ocean, usually stay in the harbors until 2 years ago I got a 25' Shockwave and started cruising the coast from Dana Point to Malibu and Catelina with no issues. I just upgraded to a 29' Shockwave Magnatude with a 525 and want to start heading further North to Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands, (also San Diego) . I have GPS and watch weather on several different apps but I've also heard the water from Ventura Harbor, to the islands and from Ventura Harbor to Santa Barbar can get pretty bad at times and it can come up fast. I know not to go too much further North of SB cause it gets really bad. But I wanted to hear from other people with performance boats like mine how bad that stretch can really get. I plan on making sevral trips up there and staying a couple days at a time at a hotel and rent a slip. If the water is really nice I'll head to the islands to check it out, if it's choppy I'll just stay inland and head straight to the harbors. Stopping in Ventura for lunch. Have any of you had any bad experiences in that stretch between Malibu and Santa Barbara??
Unpredictable weather? Huge swells with mixed chop? Should I have a bigger boat for that area? I plan on calling the coast guards and taking to them as well. I'm always over cautions whe. It comes to the ocean. Any info would be greatly aporicated.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Registered

Anyone?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Late fall is the best weather above Marina Del Rey. The days get a little shorter but the ocean is flatter. Your best indication of actual conditions is Noaa buoy observations. They give you real time data in wind and wave height. Above Point Conception is always rough.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

You may want to ask this on the main forum. Not much traffic down here.

We're out of Channel Islands Harbor and have done countless runs to the Channel Islands (Anacapa, Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa) used to do lunch runs twice a month to Santa Barbara. Have run out of Marina Del Rey to Catalina and from LB, HB, Newport to Catalina many time. the water from Redondo up to the Pt Mugu Rock is usually calm. Picks up a bit north of that to Ventura, then will calm down again to Santa Barbara (has to do with the coast topography). FF is right on, NOAA is dead on accurate.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Registered

What type and length of boat do you have?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalChamp
What type and length of boat do you have?
Boatless now but getting ready to buy again. I boated a 24 Baja Outlaw for 7 years to the islands and up and down the coast with no GPS. Then routinely ran a 35 Café, 42 Tiger and our 38 Top Gun all over So cal for 8 years or so. 29 shockwave will be fine. Just watch the NOAA reports, they're a good source to know what you're getting into and I've found they're pretty right on the money. We live on the beach in between the harbor and the ocean, two block up from the entrance to Channel Islands Harbor. If you end up coming up this way and want to overnight it and need a place to crash, let me know. We have a couple guest rooms.

Last edited by thisistank; 07-03-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Were you able to get any additional info? I have a 29 wizard powerboat and have been itching to try this as well.

Originally Posted by SocalChamp
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted some advice here. I'm on my 8th boat now, started when I was 16 so very experienced, mostly on lakes but last 6 years I've been going in the ocean, usually stay in the harbors until 2 years ago I got a 25' Shockwave and started cruising the coast from Dana Point to Malibu and Catelina with no issues. I just upgraded to a 29' Shockwave Magnatude with a 525 and want to start heading further North to Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands, (also San Diego) . I have GPS and watch weather on several different apps but I've also heard the water from Ventura Harbor, to the islands and from Ventura Harbor to Santa Barbar can get pretty bad at times and it can come up fast. I know not to go too much further North of SB cause it gets really bad. But I wanted to hear from other people with performance boats like mine how bad that stretch can really get. I plan on making sevral trips up there and staying a couple days at a time at a hotel and rent a slip. If the water is really nice I'll head to the islands to check it out, if it's choppy I'll just stay inland and head straight to the harbors. Stopping in Ventura for lunch. Have any of you had any bad experiences in that stretch between Malibu and Santa Barbara??
Unpredictable weather? Huge swells with mixed chop? Should I have a bigger boat for that area? I plan on calling the coast guards and taking to them as well. I'm always over cautions whe. It comes to the ocean. Any info would be greatly aporicated.