Changine perceptions >

Changine perceptions

Notices

Changine perceptions

Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changine perceptions

So I forgot my cell phone at the office in my hurry to meet the contractor who is writing an estimate on the garage. I met with the contractor, and then get on the harley to go back and get the cell phone. Wife ask me to pick up a couple things in Lone Oak, I really don't want to but oh well. Get going and I notice I am at about 1/8th of a tank of gas, so I stop at the convenience store, (for these who live around here, the BP in front of Paducah Athletic Club). I pump gas ($12) and then realize I only have a $20 and a check where my Masons lodge reimbursed me for some office supplies, $100.

This is a station I frequent, the owner, from India, Sam, he is a pretty good guy, we talk business stuff, I try to give him a pointer or two, no big deal. On two occasions I have stopped and forgotten my wallet and not realized it until after pumping fuel. He always just says bring it in tomorrow, and I always have. I stop there probably 4 days a week on average. Always nice guy, clean store, nicely stocked, all that stuff. The gas is a couple cents more than average, but BP's always are, he does not control the price of fuel, even though he owns the store.

So I ask if he can cash the check, I know it is unusual and no one like a third party check, but I need some cash. He said the bank would not take the deposit, I figure he is politely backing away, then reaches in his pocket, pulls out a $100 bill, and says "just catch me tomorrow or this weekend".

WOW, granted, I know I am not going to rip the guy off, but WOW, he believes that too. Really kind set me back. Granted I never thought anything bad of the guy, but never expected that either. And granted, $100 is not what it used to be, but literally I could just stop going there, and no one would know the difference. He knows that too. He owns three of these stores, and obviously I will take a check over in the morning, but no one knows that for sure...

Anyway, not sure what I had to share that, but I did, could not even get away from the office before saying so. Just really took me back a notch or two. So if you ever get south of Lone Oak KY, on hwy 45, stop at the BP in front of the gym and get a tank of gas. We could all use a few more convenience store owners like this one.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take him cash. Thats what he gave you and he's in a cash business..............

Good guy.