Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Activator (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/activator-152/)
-   -   Wellcraft 27 vs Activator 27 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/activator/358486-wellcraft-27-vs-activator-27-a.html)

MILD THUNDER 01-08-2019 07:08 AM

Wellcraft 27 vs Activator 27

What major differences are there between the excalibur/wellcraft 27 and the early activator hulls? I read the bottoms are the same, deck mostly the same, but wondering more about the hulls construction. I remember wellcrafts layup process leaving something to be desired during the 80s. Kicking around the idea of finding an older one , rigging it with a #4/#5 ssm drive.

F-2 Speedy 01-08-2019 07:39 AM

Do an old school Hemi with modern EFI...........:grinser010:

johnmiffco 01-08-2019 12:17 PM

I had an 85 27 Excalibur,,,,loved that skinny wave crusher,,,,,
agree welcraft workmanship was less than original Excalibur work and activator did a better job
from what I was told activator popped a mold from a 82-85 welcraft hull
bottom was unchanged,,,,top deck was lightly changed with fairing instead of shield and 2 acess hatches removed and a rise in top deck to bow
so not much changes till later they added steps to bottom
my hull was well used and still was solid,,,transom was changed as ran triple offshore merc o/b rest of hull was original and solid still
put in a custom made 35 gallon ballast tank up in the front bow down in the vee with a 30gpm transfer pump for water conditions
and around 110 window the 3 @ 1 1/2" apart blades lifted 5'10" transom so much with the wide strakes it would start getting tail loose
but 0-110 was awesome
we had 1 here long ago that was raced with ssm # 3 and that boat was great running
little slow getting on a plane with prop so high and narrow deep vee hull,,,,but we have better props today than back in late 80s,,,lol
there is still my old for sale thread in Excalibur section to show my resto on the boat,,,,

slpcamaross97 01-14-2019 02:45 PM

One thing i notice different between excalibur/wellcraft and the Activator is the activator does not have the notched transom...

hogie roll 01-14-2019 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER (Post 4667296)
What major differences are there between the excalibur/wellcraft 27 and the early activator hulls? I read the bottoms are the same, deck mostly the same, but wondering more about the hulls construction. I remember wellcrafts layup process leaving something to be desired during the 80s. Kicking around the idea of finding an older one , rigging it with a #4/#5 ssm drive.

clear your inbox

I had the same idea you’re having for an Excalibur with this boat. I’m not ready for the project yet though.

https://loz.craigslist.org/boa/d/ver...769591110.html

MILD THUNDER 01-14-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by hogie roll (Post 4668082)

clear your inbox

I had the same idea you’re having for an Excalibur with this boat. I’m not ready for the project yet though.

https://loz.craigslist.org/boa/d/ver...769591110.html

thats a cool old setup there. One thing that turned me on with the old 27 excalibur, was the hull design. Specifically the 7ft beam , full length strakes, and transom notch.

Seems like it would have the ingredients for a relatively fast setup over a typical vee. Whether or not thats the case, idk. Ive heard of a couple that ran over 100, that had to be interesting !

johnmiffco 01-14-2019 08:18 PM

mild that's what I explained earlier they have wide strakes all way out rear and lower strake is only 3" above the vee @ the transom
they were probably the fastest planning and dryest riding 27 made and only 5'10" wide at rear would cut great in the rough water
I raced 1 back in the /mid/late 80s and loved it and got another few yrs back and did o/bs for poker runs to run with or past some 32+ boats
dale had his with the ssm and it went past 100 also

hogie roll 01-14-2019 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by johnmiffco (Post 4668092)
mild that's what I explained earlier they have wide strakes all way out rear and lower strake is only 3" above the vee
they were probably the fastest planning and dryest riding 27 made and only 5'10" wide at rear would cut great in the rough water
I raced 1 back in the /mid/late 80s and loved it and got another few yrs back and did o/bs for poker runs to run with or past some 32+ boats

**** now I want one lol. Yours was tempting.

slpcamaross97 01-15-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by hogie roll (Post 4668100)

**** now I want one lol. Yours was tempting.

His is long gone

MILD THUNDER 01-15-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by johnmiffco (Post 4668092)
mild that's what I explained earlier they have wide strakes all way out rear and lower strake is only 3" above the vee

Sent you a message and friend request on Facebook the other day Mr. MIFFCO