28 Savage...realistic?

Notices

28 Savage...realistic?

Old 01-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Savage...realistic?

Hey guys, I've read a bunch of your threads and you really stoked my interest in Active Thunder. I'm looking to move up a few feet this spring and have been researching boats between 26-30' with a single engine. I live on the chesapeake and stopped by American Performance Marine today to check out the 28's. Of course they were closed because its winter and a saturday, but i just wanted a look in person since i was in the area. I absolutely loved the look of the savage. (I like the sonic prowler looks too, but i know entirely too many people who already have sonics and want to be a little different) Anyways the purpose of my thread is this....I really can't afford to spend any more than 50k on a boat this year. I had seen a few 1998-2000 savages on boattrader with an asking price ranging from 52k-70k. Do I have a chance of finding a good reliable one out there for under 50?

Thanks for any input. They're beautiful boats!

-Lance
Old 01-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: 28 Savage...realistic?

There's a farmer in Indiana that might come close to that number if we can find him a 32' at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by century29
Hey guys, I've read a bunch of your threads and you really stoked my interest in Active Thunder. I'm looking to move up a few feet this spring and have been researching boats between 26-30' with a single engine. I live on the chesapeake and stopped by American Performance Marine today to check out the 28's. Of course they were closed because its winter and a saturday, but i just wanted a look in person since i was in the area. I absolutely loved the look of the savage. (I like the sonic prowler looks too, but i know entirely too many people who already have sonics and want to be a little different) Anyways the purpose of my thread is this....I really can't afford to spend any more than 50k on a boat this year. I had seen a few 1998-2000 savages on boattrader with an asking price ranging from 52k-70k. Do I have a chance of finding a good reliable one out there for under 50?

Thanks for any input. They're beautiful boats!

-Lance
Old 01-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Registered

I heard that the Sonic Prowler porpoises alot also that it has a really rough ride. How about 280 Velocity?
Old 01-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the post in this forum about a 32 AT forsale, it is my old boat and I know it has been taking care of. Might work out a deal for everyone. $78,000

Last edited by excursion; 01-29-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by velocitypwrbtr
I heard that the Sonic Prowler porpoises alot also that it has a really rough ride. How about 280 Velocity?

Actually I think you are talking about the old 28' sonic. I know a few people with 26's, 28's, a 35 and a 42. The only one I've ever noticed a slight porpoising problem was in the 28's. As far as ride goes, the prowler might be one of the best rough water 26' boat i've been in. The only reason i'm not looking at one for myself is that they are everywhere around where i boat. However, i'm not counting anything out. The right deal could get me in just about any boat in that size range. Right now though, the AT is my first preference.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

how bout a 98 29 scarab..under $50K
Attached Thumbnails 28 Savage...realistic?-photo10.jpg   28 Savage...realistic?-photo11.jpg   28 Savage...realistic?-photo12.jpg  

Old 01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bern,

Thats a nice looking boat, but for right now i'm only really looking at single engine boats. I like driving dual engine boats a lot more (especially close quarter docking), but my wallet hates keeping TWO engines running
Old 01-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

email or call him and see what you can do. He wants to move to a bigger boat.

http://www.erieoffshore.com/
Old 01-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

stock 350's are bullit proof
Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I went from a 26' Sonic to a 37' Active Thunder. My Sonic took anything I threw it into and then some. It would porpoise a bit with full fuel at slow-cruise, however, if you know how to set your trims (most that complain of porpoise don't) the boat is solid, and smooth. Check out the Sonic forum for more details on how and why some Sonics porpoise. It has to do with the notched transom.

As for 28AT or 26 Sonic, you can't go wrong with either, but the 28AT is definately a little more rare in the Chessie Area. Frank sold a but-munga-load of 26' Sonics in the past 7-8 years.

Quick Reply: 28 Savage...realistic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.