props 5 blade mecury vs herring

Notices

props 5 blade mecury vs herring

Old 02-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default props 5 blade mecury vs herring

Well I have a set of 5 blades 28 merc been worked on by bblades I am running on a 37 active thunder . If I would buy a set of herring should I stay with 5 blade ?Would there be much advantage ? Any cons to herrings?.The one reason I am thinking about it I also have a match set of 5 blade 29s by bblades I will probably never use with selling both sets I could pay for most of the herrings .
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bblythe
Well I have a set of 5 blades 28 merc been worked on by bblades I am running on a 37 active thunder . If I would buy a set of herring should I stay with 5 blade ?Would there be much advantage ? Any cons to herrings?.The one reason I am thinking about it I also have a match set of 5 blade 29s by bblades I will probably never use with selling both sets I could pay for most of the herrings .
bblythe,

I have used both herings and Maximus props. Depending on your x dimension and lots of other variables the Maximus props should plane your boat better but the herings should be a little faster. If you need size advice from hering contact their office and ask for Jeff, he is very knowledgeable and will give you advice.

Good Luck
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The Herrings will net you your best top speed. However, you will find they are difficult to get on plane, especially with a full load of fuel/passengers/gear. They are more susceptible to damage due to being thinner and sharper on the leading edges.

If it were my money, I'd keep the Mercury 5 blade 28s, sell the 29s and save up some cash to have the Herrings when the time comes. Keep them mounted on the wall to look pretty, and occasionally put them on the boat for a fun top speed blast,
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks I think I will take your advise . When you said best toop speed are they worth 3 to 4 mph or less than that?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Clark's boat was consistent 85-87mph, and was probably the heaviest boat in the last 10 years (Stealin' Thunder). I always joked that he got 90.1 with the Herrings because his boat was always going downhill due to the weight in the bow. (It has a custom component construction cabin vs. the drop-in liner like OverActive.)

He ended up buying those (borrowed) Herrings only because he dinged them on the way back to the dock. He hit something in the water, and the props were never the same; FWIW.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Not a fan of the Maximus at all. I've found them to be drive eaters. Box stock, the 15 5/8" diameter is huge for a light, performance boat and put a tremendous bite to the water. I didn't even make one trip up the lake and back before exploding a drive. Sent them out to Brett and he did a fabulous job working them so they actually worked for me but still was not rreally happy with how they worked on my boat, felt like too much stern lift..(2002 Cig Mystique T/S) Ordered a pair of 5 blade Herings and never looked back. They work incredibly well. Planes same as the labbed Maximus but delivered so much more on top end ( 3-4 mph)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a pair of 6 blade 32's if anyone is interested
Old 02-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Biggus
Not a fan of the Maximus at all. I've found them to be drive eaters. Box stock, the 15 5/8" diameter is huge for a light, performance boat and put a tremendous bite to the water. I didn't even make one trip up the lake and back before exploding a drive. Sent them out to Brett and he did a fabulous job working them so they actually worked for me but still was not rreally happy with how they worked on my boat, felt like too much stern lift..(2002 Cig Mystique T/S) Ordered a pair of 5 blade Herings and never looked back. They work incredibly well. Planes same as the labbed Maximus but delivered so much more on top end ( 3-4 mph)
Hey Biggus,

I'm thinking about another set of herings. Do yours have the extended hub(tube) or just their standard short hub

Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Herings run a lot smoother also, its noticable I would give them a spin if the boat is not hard to plane now.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Try Hydromotive P5x nice props....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.