Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
Opinon on AT 37 >

Opinon on AT 37

Notices

Opinon on AT 37

Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

525 AT runs about 83 I believe. 700 is around 105 if I remember correctly. No, a twin step gun won't outrun the AT in any water. Plus you have a full cabin. Cig makes an unbelievable boat but theres no comparison if you plan to use the cabin.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 96scarab
The gun will out run it in any water....
Given a choice, I would take the AT any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Now, a Top Gun DOES ride well in rough water.

However, one of things about the AT over the Twin Step is you can turn it anywhere/anyway/anyhow you want.
Of the many tips that Pat Haughey (owner of AT) has taught me about driving in rough water, is you drive toward the smooth stuff. With the predictable hull of the DDC single step, it will ALWAYS pivot right under your feet, no ifs, ands, or buts. That's the only pivot point the hull has.

On a twin step (anything), the boat has a couple of pivot points, and because of that, you have to be careful how you drive the boat to ensure you and the boat do not disagree on pivot points; because that's how you go swimming.

IME, you drive a twin step like you fly a plane. A-B (for the most part).
You drive a DDC AT like a sports car. You set up up neutral, and you drive to the smoothest water.

I'll never forget the demo ride that Pat gave a few folks years ago; where we went over a 6' sport fish wake, he set the throttles, turned the wheel, crossed his arms, and turned to the side to talk to his passenger. He never went back to the wheel until we finished the 180* turn.

To add, while going through the S-turns on Smith Mountain Lake, VA years ago, I was following Laszlo's AT then owned by Docmanrich. The S-turns are always busy and that's where the idiots seem to pool; so we always go through easy at 45mph or less. That day the area was all kinds of chopped up, and a some idiots on PWC were playing around in it. They got all bedazzled by Rich going through in front, and never saw me behind him. One of them cut between us going after his wake, and forced me to turn Monsoon so hard (in 1-2 foot mixed chop) that I literally put put the aft 1/3rd of the rub rail in the water, and one of the engines zinged. I got water in the bilge as the pumps turned on. That was a testament to how you can wrench that boat around, and not have to to swimming.

NO ONE strives to go out in 4-6 or bigger seas. Most folks stay on the dock. However, when you have made a run to the Keys, or a crossing, or you have to head back home some distance in some snot; is profound to know your boat can handle it well.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-03-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I am a Velocity guy through and through. That being said.... AT would be the first non Velocity boat I would consider.

Padraig
Old 07-03-2018, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call pat,

the red one in the video is the factory demo boat with 565 's and is for sale

a little more than your price point but like new for half the cost of new
Old 07-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Excess
Call pat,

the red one in the video is the factory demo boat with 565 's and is for sale

a little more than your price point but like new for half the cost of new
I would love that boat but its almost double what I want to spend!!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Agree with Brian. I've been in/on this boat when the prior owner owned it and the paint looks much better in person than the pictures online.

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 32fever
Agree with Brian. I've been in/on this boat when the prior owner owned it and the paint looks much better in person than the pictures online.
Or you could sell waynepaul your 37 Outerlimits and I can introduce you to my buddy with the other boat you like.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Or you could sell waynepaul your 37 Outerlimits and I can introduce you to my buddy with the other boat you like.
That is a sweet boat, but the price differential is more than my frugal buttocks can handle.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm guessing you guys are referring to the trip boat and yes it is very sweet but it is a trip.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Registered

Default cabin height

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
1998 and later = no wood in hull construction
1999 first DDC hull
2003 slightly bigger (taller) cabin, and really turned a corner on interior design
2012-ish slightly deeper cockpit
Wondering if anyone has the 37' cabin height dimension
Did the 2003 boat started using the cabin liner?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.