Notices

2004 37

Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 37

Hey guys I am looking to purchase the 04 that was listed here the last few months did a sea trial and had a survey done but have some questions.
Surveyor said transom had high moisture reading with a scanner but said composite materials will somerimes show this. Anyone know what the transom is made of in this boat? Also has some minor stress cracks in the gel starboard side forward of the step and some in the step itself. Is this common with the age of the boat? During the sea trial we crossed some waves and I noticed the top deck flexed is this normal? Overall boat seems to be in good shape for its age just want to be sure I am not getting in over my head with potential issues. Appreciate any feedback thanks.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The deck will flex, it does on mine. Also the transom should be composite on the 04', it is on my 03'. Others will most likely chime in also with more information.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You will not have any moisture issues on that boat. The transom is indeed divinycell/urethane composite material. Further specs have been posted here in the past.

Yes, the deck flexes a little bit. It's supposed to do that. There is no coring in the hull bottom. It is all hull fiberglass with gelcoat over the top. As such, fixing stress cracks should not be any significant issue, just grind back, prep, and re-gelcoat. Gelcoat can not be to thick, or too thin, as either will culminate in a stress crack. Sometimes, in the corners or odd positions of the mold (of any boat) the gelcoat can vary slightly and that's where these stress cracks show up.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Registered

Ok thanks for the info. There is a crack in the bottom lifting strake also but if the bottom is glass it should be a quick fix. 525s have 630 hrs with top ends done 200 or so hours ago. Ran great and no soot on the transom and oil psi seemed steady. Anything else i should look for with the hours on the motors? Drives were replaced 20 hrs ago so i am good there.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Likely not, but I would have the engines scanned regardless, just to see if anything is throwing codes, or has a history code. Do you have a Rinda Technologies Inc. Marine and Industrial Engine Diagnostic Tools scanner already? If not, you will want one. It would not hurt to do a compression test, but a leakdown would probably be overkill since the top ends were done.
Which boat are you looking at?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Registered

37 that was for sale in Massachusetts I believe the previous owner was a Tom from Indiana. Has the multicolor paint with the Pearl in it.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Al, he’s a straight shooter! I doubt that he would mis-represent the boat. That’s a lot of boat for the money, I saw it a few years back at the Thunder Run in Florida when Tom owned. As a matter of fact, Al and his wife rode on our 33’ for the run. That’s probably why he bought an AT after owning a Cigarette!��
Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

The previous owner Tom is meticulous with his stuff both maintenance and appearance. I'm Almost positive those motors have been rebuilt also but could be wrong.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know both Al and Tom both stand up guys and take care of their boats. The only reason Tom sold it was to move to a newer AT with bigger power.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK26
Ok thanks for the info. There is a crack in the bottom lifting strake also but if the bottom is glass it should be a quick fix. 525s have 630 hrs with top ends done 200 or so hours ago. Ran great and no soot on the transom and oil psi seemed steady. Anything else i should look for with the hours on the motors? Drives were replaced 20 hrs ago so i am good there.
motors likely need a full rebuild soon...500-600 is generally the rule of thumb on blue motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.