Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
How many 37’s built after the red one? Anyone have pics?! >

How many 37’s built after the red one? Anyone have pics?!

Notices

How many 37’s built after the red one? Anyone have pics?!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Yup, 42 Fountain has 2' of swim platform and 2' of beak included in that 42'. I know it's an old subject, but an AT doesn't include the platform or a have a beak, if they did you would have a 41' boat. Both weight right around 10K.
YEa....no. I boated with a 42 Fountain all the time...trust me...it's bigger than a 37 AT (which plumb-bobbed is 36'6").
Old 05-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll

One of the fastest boats ever vs a boat that needs bottom mods with over 600hp. Put down the pipe.
What bottom mods are needed on a 37 with over 600hp? First I've heard of this.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm going to line my boat up properly to my friends 12 meter. I'm willing to bet the hulls are within 18" or less of each other. Your boat is 26" behind that Fountain, your transom is lined up to its swim platform. A Fountain 42 has a 40' deck on a 38' hull. So I guess to be accurate the AT 37 falls in between the Fountain 42 and the 38.

Look at the Fountain 35. The boat started out as a 31' Excaliber. They added a beak to it, and you had the 10 meter (33'). Then they added a swim platform and you had a Fountain 35. The actual length of the hull was never changed. I'm not saying they are bad boats, but their hulls are nothing magical. The reason their boats appear faster than others of the same length, is because they are not the same length.

I had my old Formula 292 SR-1 tied next to a 35 Fountain. No way that hull was 6' longer, maybe 2', 4' including the beak, but that's it.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
What bottom mods are needed on a 37 with over 600hp? First I've heard of this.
Exactly. Only thing I ever read was Pat having to bevel the step on one of the 675 boats. I think that was when the step was still 4 1/2" vs the current 4". I have a 4" step, so no bottom mods needed on my boat.

As far as I know, Lazlos boat doesn't have bottom mods, and he's WELL over 600 hp and 100 mph.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

I had my old Formula 292 SR-1 tied next to a 35 Fountain. No way that hull was 6' longer, maybe 2', 4' including the beak, but that's it.
No sorry,when I get time I will look and post some pics of my 35 in the middle with a 292 on one side and a 290 PQ on the the other,the Fountain is that much bigger,sorry but it is what it is
Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
No sorry,when I get time I will look and post some pics of my 35 in the middle with a 292 on one side and a 290 PQ on the the other,the Fountain is that much bigger,sorry but it is what it is
LOL- a 35 Fountain was a 31' boat, nothing was changed other than adding a platform an a beak. Those are the facts! A 292 Fastec is only a 27' boat, so don't post a picture of a 292 Fastec.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Pretty old argument here but still plenty of fun reading and if you can all post side by side pics, it makes it even more enjoyable.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Registered

I'm going to line my boat up properly to my friends 12 meter. I'm willing to bet the hulls are within 18" or less of each other. Your boat is 26" behind that Fountain, your transom is lined up to its swim platform. A Fountain 42 has a 40' deck on a 38' hull. So I guess to be accurate the AT 37 falls in between the Fountain 42 and the 38.

Look at the Fountain 35. The boat started out as a 31' Excaliber. They added a beak to it, and you had the 10 meter (33'). Then they added a swim platform and you had a Fountain 35. The actual length of the hull was never changed. I'm not saying they are bad boats, but their hulls are nothing magical. The reason their boats appear faster than others of the same length, is because they are not the same length.

Trust me. I've boated with BZ (the 42 in the picture for MANY years). I have other pictures.

Also...I'll add that I've driven both...and the 42 Fountain is an incredible boat...

So...on both counts...I've been there done that. And I don't necessarily agree. Sorry.

Last edited by sommerfliesby; 05-14-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is pretty funny. Someone has some beak envy.

So Mike posts a pic that a 42 is clearly longer from a nicely angled photo showing this, but then the comment is the AT is 26" behind the Fountain? LOL 26" is pretty exact for someone with poor depth, or length perception.

I love when people point out like the beak on a Fountain doesn't matter. It's unusable space in ANY boat without an anchor locker pretty much.

Even boats that are the same length differ in size. Once of these 37' boats is actually very noticeably larger than the others when you get on board. But, you know what, they're all pretty kick azz boats, with or without a beak. The way I see it, we're all lucky to have what we do, and just "run whacha brung".

I just got a nice chuckle out of twenty six inches. LOL! Good stuff!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Registered

So this pic is not great because the perspective certainly favors the Fountain, and the cleats are lined up the same as in the previous, but you can see there's still a LOT more bow on the Fountain.

Pat told me when I bought my boat that he measured the "bathtub line" on a 42 Beak and a 37 AT, and that the Fountain's was only 12" longer at the waterline.

As to the step mods on the AT...the 700 boats have a smaller step.

The AT and 42 Fountain are really different animals when it comes to driving. The AT wants to attack the waves...much like an old-school Apache in the videos. It takes some getting-used-to coming out of a Fountain, which carries the bow very level. The AT was particularly challenging in a following sea...the props aerate quite unexpectedly (and cause the captain to swear at himself, lol). They are both a BLAST in ACTUAL 3-4' waves...IMO...both hulls "wake up" at that point and you have to drive and throttle them (which is why we do what we do, no?). For that last reason, I always say my 35 Fountain was my favorite boat to drive...because even in 1-2'...you had to drive the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.