Stealin’ Thunder moves to New York >

Stealin’ Thunder moves to New York

Notices

Stealin’ Thunder moves to New York

Old 05-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Stealin’ Thunder moves to New York

Hey guys, I ended up purchasing Stealin’ Thunder from Derek over the Winter and we finally got a chance to take it out on the water last weekend. Alls I can say is Wow! These boats ride and handle awesome, we didnt get a chance to take it out on Lake Ontario in the snot yet but it did great on Cayuga lake in a poker run style fun run where we were constantly in other boats washes. On our way home from the sand bar I set the boat and 75mph for a solid 30 minute ride and I couldve driven with my knee it tracked so well. The little woman is definately happy with the smooth ride and comfortable cabin for the weekend stays. Big thanks to the Powers for selling us an awesome turn key boat. We plan to enjoy the boat as much as we can this summer and make a few minor touches to the boat to make it ours over the winter. Will post some pics of the boat in its new home once I can upload pictures.

Quick little side question, does anybody with a 37 525 boat running Hydro P5X 29 blades happen to have any RPM to Speed numbers? It seemed like my slip numbers were a little high for those 5 blades, I believe I was only running 57mph at 4000, is that normal or should It be running up into the 60s at that range? Water has just a slight chop relatively flat on a 80* day, with 4 people and 3/4 tank.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had high slip numbers in mid range with my P5x. I sold them.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mbccenter View Post
I had high slip numbers in mid range with my P5x. I sold them.
What did you end up running for props?
Old 05-28-2021, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

I owned the boat prior to Derek. I had every prop under the sun on it, including a set of custom labbed Maximus props from BBlades. I bet I bought well over $15k in props to test. Here is a list of what I put on it:
Bravo 32 labbed- terrible out of the hole, best top end but not by much over the hydro.
Herring 28 5 blades- worst of all props
Stock Maximus 28s- too much diameter and blade
BBlades Labbed Maximus 28's, pretty good prop but cost $4500 and really no better than the 29 Hydro
Hydro 29- Slightly better top end than the Maximus, maybe 1 mph less cruise speed than Maximus, half the cost.

I don't think you will ever get the slip numbers down from where they are now, that boat just has a lot of slip. The original owner also spent a ton of time and money trying to get the slip down, and never did. The way it is currently set up, is best. Personally I'd say stay away from Maximus props, I feel they are drive eaters. I currently have a 39 Cigarette, the slip is better than the AT but not a lot better. If I remember right you are going to be around 17% slip at WOT, my 39 is around 14% The only thing that nobody tried is to space the drive down. You may actually have something to gain by trying that.

It's a great boat and VERY easy to drive as you said. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Last edited by endeavour32; 05-28-2021 at 04:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by endeavour32:
larslindroth (10-15-2021), speicher lane (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavour32 View Post
I owned the boat prior to Derek. I had every prop under the sun on it, including a set of custom labbed Maximus props from BBlades. I bet I bought well over $15k in props to test. Here is a list of what I put on it:
Bravo 32 labbed- terrible out of the hole, best top end but not by much over the hydro.
Herring 28 5 blades- worst of all props
Stock Maximus 28s- too much diameter and blade
BBlades Labbed Maximus 28's, pretty good prop but cost $4500 and really no better than the 29 Hydro
Hydro 29- Slightly better top end than the Maximus, maybe 1 mph less cruise speed than Maximus, half the cost.

I don't think you will ever get the slip numbers down from where they are now, that boat just has a lot of slip. The original owner also spent a ton of time and money trying to get the slip down, and never did. The way it is currently set up, is best. Personally I'd say stay away from Maximus props, I feel they are drive eaters. I currently have a 39 Cigarette, the slip is better than the AT but not a lot better. If I remember right you are going to be around 17% slip at WOT, my 39 is around 14% The only thing that nobody tried is to space the drive down. You may actually have something to gain by trying that.

It's a great boat and VERY easy to drive as you said. If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks a lot for the detailed response Mike! Seems like there are mixed reviews for the Hydros on the 37s, some boats love them and some boats dont. Ill take note of what you and others have tried and maybe try some things of my own. I didnt buy the boat because it was the fastest but Id love to see the boat with a little better numbers. I may take you up on some questions here and there so I appreciate that, I like finding out as much information as I can on this boat, as it is our dream boat and ive been following it for a few years now. Derek has been super helpful as well. I think ive read every thread on 37s on this site at least twice now lol, the more I can learn the better.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slalonde24:
endeavour32 (05-28-2021), speicher lane (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had some detailed files of the various props and various RPMs. I don't know what you have been able to get at WOT, but the best I got was 83.5 with the Bravo 4 blades in Lake Michigan. The Hydros and Maximus props were right around the same at 82-82.5. Both of those speeds were with at least 1 foot of chop. If you are in dead calm water, the boat will lose about 2-3 mph off the number posted.

There are two guys on here that may chime in on Maximus props. They both had FJ Propeller Midwest build them custom labbed props and claim they are the best props they ever used. I was not impressed with the BBlades prop and even less impressed when I emailed Brett and said the lab work added nothing! I never got a response. If you do some digging in the prop section, you will see that is pretty typical. If you want custom work done, my suggestion is use FJ Propeller. Good luck, and enjoy the boat.
The following 3 users liked this post by endeavour32:
PartyBarge22 (06-22-2021), speicher lane (05-28-2021), underpsi68 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 652 Likes on 324 Posts

My opinion from experience... 57 @ 4000RPM isn't too bad with a top speed of 82. I wouldn't go chasing slip numbers. I would get the best prop for overall performance without considering slip numbers. (sounds like you have them) If the props had 27 stamped on them they would have great slip numbers and you might be ecstatic about the numbers, but it's still the same performance. I think you are quite fortunate that others have already spent the money and time finding this out.

As mentioned earlier I put 1" spacers in my drives on my 37. It helped with planing, a little in the cruise and hurt top end. I'm pulling them out this year. I also have a straight bottom 37 vs stepped so performance might be totally different.

Congrats on the purchase. It's a beautiful boat enjoy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rookie:
endeavour32 (05-29-2021), SB (08-13-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 07:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
My opinion from experience... 57 @ 4000RPM isn't too bad with a top speed of 82. I wouldn't go chasing slip numbers. I would get the best prop for overall performance without considering slip numbers. (sounds like you have them) If the props had 27 stamped on them they would have great slip numbers and you might be ecstatic about the numbers, but it's still the same performance. I think you are quite fortunate that others have already spent the money and time finding this out.

As mentioned earlier I put 1" spacers in my drives on my 37. It helped with planing, a little in the cruise and hurt top end. I'm pulling them out this year. I also have a straight bottom 37 vs stepped so performance might be totally different.

Congrats on the purchase. It's a beautiful boat enjoy it.

Thank you, it is an awesome boat. I appreciate the input as well, and it is certainly nice that other people have done most of the testing in that category for me. For some reason I was under the impression the 5 Blades had much less slip from some of the things ive read on here from other 37 owners, but I suppose as long as the boat performs well it really doesn’t matter.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalonde24 View Post
What did you end up running for props?
I am running some used labbed Maximus props now 34P I really like them so far but have not done any top end speeds yet. Midrange is awesome. One other member really liked the mid cruise without loosing any top end of the BBlades 5 Speeds. I purchased his props but could not get on plane with them as mine is a older Active with larger step and it did not like them. They are for sale at Bblades now. 32P labbed ones.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Slalonde24 View Post
Thank you, it is an awesome boat. I appreciate the input as well, and it is certainly nice that other people have done most of the testing in that category for me. For some reason I was under the impression the 5 Blades had much less slip from some of the things ive read on here from other 37 owners, but I suppose as long as the boat performs well it really doesn’t matter.
Ha, one thing I have learned is don't believe everything you read on here. Some may claim 10% slip, never going to happen. With 4 blades the slip was close to 21% so yes, 5 blades do slip less. Slip is just a number and doesn't mean much. If the slip was 12% you wouldn't be able to spin the prop you currently have, the engine would be under too much load to pull a 29 pitch. The RPMs would drop and you would then need to prop down, gaining nothing but a lower slip number. Just an FYI, don't try different lowers either. I talked to Pat about it and he said NO to shorties and standard IMCO or Sportmasters. Claimed I would lose speed with all of them.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (06-04-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.