Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Advantage
First time boat owner-Happy with my Advantage >

First time boat owner-Happy with my Advantage

Notices

First time boat owner-Happy with my Advantage

Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I looked at a 30 a few years ago at Lake St Louis, but it had twin ilmor's in it. Seams like a lot of boat for a single engine. Call Bob Sepulvada at advantage boats. He can tell you whatever you want to know about it.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 01-18-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Got the motor just about done and now just waiting for some good weather to install it. My next project is to remove the dash and redo that with powder coating and doing all new wiring for gauges. Hoping to install some new carpet or some kind of flooring in the spring.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

I use to paint, body work and detail and very familiar with wheeling/rubbing out vehicles and boats but really curious if you just rubbed it out or if you did a light micro fine wet sand prior to. Also what product/products you used. I have an old 12 meter I recently picked up that sat also for several years and it cleaned up pretty well inside and out within reason. Had a lot of mold, spider chit and just overall light black grubby look to it. Fortunately another member here on OSO's dad is in the mobile power washing with the remote control chemicals. Whatever he dusted it with prior to pressure washing was amazing. I think it was very similar to roll off.

Regardless cleaned up well but I am about to detail and just wondering if you wet sanded first or just rubbed and also what you used. Your boat looks great and what a perfect ride and look for Lake Tahoe or anywhere. Good job. Thumbs up!!!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Registered

Thanks for the compliments, My first few passes were done with just normal 3m compound but what I think worked more than that was the Menzerna products I have. It is made for German cars with hard clear coat and I used the coarse to really take off the touch stuff. It did take a lot of passes but you could see progress with each one. I have also used Adams for my cars and it is a great company with good products but recently I have been using Chemical Guys stuff and got some of their boat stuff. Their stuff works really good and they have really good pads which I think also helped. I will say the adams buttery wax really makes it shine and I even ended up doing the bottom of the boat.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Registered

Next thing I'd like to know is what kinda meds your on. My gosh where do you get the energy??? My rotator cuffs would be shot. Nice job. I'll be at it soon. I think my bottom will be just fine though. Hah.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM
Registered

I looked online but ran across this. Anyone with experience with this product. Btw how much product did you go through.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
Old 01-25-2017, 08:41 PM
Registered

I think any "Pro" product that is a 3 step process like that would work just fine. I know there are some marine specific products out there. This took me way longer than I thought and I also did a 3 step process and ended up doing the butter wax too after I did a test spot and it looked so good. I really did not use that much product but I have a 5.5" pad orbital buffer and the pads from chemical guys work really good you don't need much product.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tahoe540
I think any "Pro" product that is a 3 step process like that would work just fine. I know there are some marine specific products out there. This took me way longer than I thought and I also did a 3 step process and ended up doing the butter wax too after I did a test spot and it looked so good. I really did not use that much product but I have a 5.5" pad orbital buffer and the pads from chemical guys work really good you don't need much product.
So you used a foam pad. I was thinking old school with the truditional rubbing wheel/6" grinder and using wool pad for the first step and then a finer less aggressive pad for polish and then hand wax.

If you can post a pic of you orbiter and pads used would be great. I've been out of the detaining seen for a while but have the perfect boat in need for such. Products have improved greatly over the years. When I was getting out of the body work and paint business was when the foam pads were being introduced.

The problem is with the old school buffing methods are swirl marks, difficult to control in tight places and can get away from ya in a hurry when it catches something. Cord gets rapped around the wheel and in some cases you end up ripping trim/moldings off. Lol. Brings back memories.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 AM
Registered

I did use a foam pad but there are different pads for different uses. There is a harder pad for cutting and they also make a wool pads for orbital polishers too and I also have those to take off a lot when you need it. This is the unit I have and is a great kit to get started. It does not come with a wool pad but they are only like $8. I do like these pads the best out of anything else I have used. I have the Porter Cable and is not as good as the Torq which is more of a pro style.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Porter_C..._p/buf_209.htm

I have also bought from this outfit and they are really good and on the east coast. They also have a forum or just call the guy and he will help you out.
https://www.detailersdomain.com/
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Registered

Update, been busy at work with hardly any time off and some crappy spring weather but got some stuff done. I replaced just the floor carpet with some 40 oz and think it turned out OK for my first time, but I still f*&ked up and got glue all over the place. I also got my outdrive on, which seemed like a daunting task but was quite easy to do. The wiring is kind of a mess as this is a OMC factory harness on a custom boat so I have a lot of "extra" wires I need to clean up, it will not look like this when I am done. Finally, yesterday I pretty much got the motor buttoned up besides a few minor things to hook up like a ground to the block. Since Summit racing is 5 minutes from my house I ended up getting one of those Kool Tools for the push lock style hoses because I tried doing a 6 AN by hand and could not get it on all the way. The 12 AN oil lines were a breeze and not being frustrated was priceless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.