Planing Issues.... >

Planing Issues....

Notices

Planing Issues....

Old 09-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planing Issues....

3 month new 1999 ao 26 nsx owner here. Power is a 496 dyno'd @ 585hp. Stern Power outdrive w/ 1:46 gear ratio.I bought it with a 26P prop. Extremely responsive once on plane, especially through 3500-5000RPM range. However, it takes a while to plane. In fact, one trip I had 6 adults on board, and I had to get everyone in the back to stand up foward for it to plane. I have read where these 26's should plane around 3 seconds. Well, I spun a blade off a couple trips ago. My mechanic had a lab finished 28, which I guess after lab finishing, props drop a pitch. So, last weekend I had this '27P' prop on. Had 4 adults on board. EVERYONE, including me had to stand up and lean forward for it to plane. Plus, it took quite a while to plane. 7-8 seconds, maybe more. The boat didnt perform well with this prop once on plane either. So I know now I cant go up a pitch. With my 26P, I was able to hit about 68mph@5500. According to the previous owner, in the dead of winter in Lake Havasu, the boat will hit 90. I know the redline is 6200rpm, with the 'sweet spot' around 5800rpm. Back to the issue at hand, can anyone please take some time to provide what ever insight, or advice you may have as to why this boat is having a difficult time planing? It really doesnt make sense. With the hp , and how tight the performance is w.a 26P - it seems like this boat should plane relatively quick and with ease. Thanks alot.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: Planing Issues....

the 2600 and NXS , both plane very easily with bravo drives and the correct X dimension. I'm not sure where you're x is sounds as though it has been put very high for high speed, the downfall is they don't plane easily when they are high. you might try more prop blades.

Don
Old 09-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it seems obvious but you could use your trim tabs to get on a plane or drive trim could help, dropping a degree or 2 of pitch should help get on plane faster but hurt top end.

You may want to find a marina in your area that demos props and try a few.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by chromecat
the 2600 and NXS , both plane very easily with bravo drives and the correct X dimension. I'm not sure where you're x is sounds as though it has been put very high for high speed, the downfall is they don't plane easily when they are high. you might try more prop blades.

Don
If the X-dimension is too high, maybe a drive spacer or extension box will help.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Registered

I think that props would be a great start, but with sternpower drives I think the props are hard to come by.

as far as an extension box or drive spacer, also same problem. Stern drive is a great system, however can use a system extension box or spacer without alot of fabrication.

Don
Old 09-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Props are not a problem on his drive. He is running a bravo style prop. on his drive.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dregsz
I know it seems obvious but you could use your trim tabs.
I dont have trim tabs. But, I have been seriously considering it. Thanks to all. My lower unit on my drive resembles a bravo drive, and I have a BravoI 4 blade on it. Speaking of blades, someone mentioned maybe using a prop with more baldes. Would a 5 or even 6 blade prop help?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Registered

CA southpaw-- Check your P.M. box. Later, Scott
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

littledcsrodshop ...

have you had an AO, or familiar with the stern power drives ?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

No american offshore. However I am a little familiar with stern powr drives, I have a MX-107 on my 28 Pantera. Me & CA southpaw have been talking back & forth about his.

Quick Reply: Planing Issues....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.