bad porpoising 3100 >

bad porpoising 3100

Notices

bad porpoising 3100

Old 04-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad porpoising 3100

ok so i do what everyone suggests and get bravo 4blades. turn them out, index the drives, set them at dead even not in or out. got right on plane ran out to 50 smooth as ever. pushed down on the throttles and fron 75-100 it porpoised so bad that i once again blew the props out of the water and nearly stuffed the damn thing. slowed back to a safe 50 and trimed it out a couple of notches and tried again. same damn thing. drives out/in it doesnt matter. i've been told put 4 blades on set trim level and throttle thru it. well, it wont do it safely. any more ideas? im getting very frustrated and wondering if i need to sell or if there's hope.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: bad porpoising 3100

Have driven many 3100s and have always been able to drive through the porpus. do not understand why you cant drive through it. the porpus has never been violent. make absolutely certain both drives are trimed the same. how high is the centerline of the prop shaft above the bottom. Do you have standoff boxes. Sorry I don't remember. The tunnel tab will definitely help but something else is seriously wrong if you can't drive through it. I can only suggest you bring it down to texas and let us look at it.

the 3100 does not porpus on chop. only on relatively flat water

not important for the porpusing problem but nose cones will eliminate the prop blowout. do you have nose cones?

Check the back 4 ft of running surface on the sponsons for hook or rocker. if there is rocker it will cause your problem and will have to be fixed.

Last edited by quest; 04-16-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: bad porpoising 3100

Was out with him at the lake today. It makes no difference whether there is chop or smooth. It looks like a sea doo when they are getting ready to submerge it. ITS CRAZY. He does have stand off boxes and he has imco extreme drives. When it porpuses his props came completly out of the water. When you say hook how much is too much? Should it be perfectly strait with a strait edge?
Originally Posted by quest
Have driven many 3100s and have always been able to drive through the porpus. do not understand why you cant drive through it. the porpus has never been violent. make absolutely certain both drives are trimed the same. how high is the centerline of the prop shaft above the bottom. Do you have standoff boxes. Sorry I don't remember. The tunnel tab will definitely help but something else is seriously wrong if you can't drive through it. I can only suggest you bring it down to texas and let us look at it.

the 3100 does not porpus on chop. only on relatively flat water

not important for the porpusing problem but nose cones will eliminate the prop blowout. do you have nose cones?

Check the back 4 ft of running surface on the sponsons for hook or rocker. if there is rocker it will cause your problem and will have to be fixed.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Registered

i know i wont make friends with this comment but, my daytona NEVER ran like this thing! at about 75 the nose would bob twice about 6" then blast on thru to 100+mph and felt like a caddy. so i go and trade...well we wont get into that. i end up with what several people say is a good hull and i cant get it to run SAFE. if the bottom had hook why did a.o. let it out? and i just double checked it it doesnt. there are things i do like about the boat but they quickly go away when i cant get the thing to take a set above 75mph. so 6k for a tab 4k + to move the engines and that might fix the problem....this is not the only 3100 with these engines,drives,boxes etc so why is it such a mystery?
sorry for the rant im just frustrated and needing solid answers
Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered

ok i know it's asking alot but, can all the guys with 3100's running standoff box's post pix of your engine setups as well as your transom..please..
i did the measurements and everything is right there. thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

are you turning the props out.. ?turning them in will increase the hop and make handling worse...
I had ITS system on my 04 3100 with 425 hp engines and never had a problem.
Ran another customers boat with bigger blower motors and boxes, imco lowers on the drives never had a problem either
Both of these boats had the engines rear mount on the transom assymbly.

Don
Old 04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Registered

don, i took off the five blades and put the recomended plain 'ol merc bravo 4blades turning out at the top of the blade.engines are on the transom with 12" imco box's imco extreme drives, measures 1" to centerline of propshaft up from bottom of sponson directly in front of the drive.
while running trim was set neutral as well as drives out. throws one hell of a roost but gets very dangerous over 75mph
Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Registered

did it act like this with the 5 blades ?....
Don
Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Registered

yes it did. thats why i dont understand all these 100+mph sightings by guy's.there's no way it ran that fast at all.well, i guess it's time to see what i can get for this thing and let someone else fight with it.

Last edited by seanv; 04-20-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Registered

funny thing is, i talked with a friend who's connected to another mnfg. and he's shocked a.o. would even let this thing out of their factory like this.
somebody out there knows the truth about this boat but is too chicken **** to tell me about it.this thing has no provisions in the exhaust for e.g.t. sensors yet, the guages, wiring and...yes the little eyelets on the wiring show they were connected.
this tell's me that another story about this p.o.s. might have some truth to it. 900+ h.p. engines in it that ran 110+ and the name used to be "cats ass" all of which does nothing to fix my problem.
how do i sell something i know is wrong? i'm not that kind of person. the dealer that sold it to me is never going to right their wrongs so who do i go after? this is wrong from the day i signed papers all the way to the 15k i've spent to get it this far.
sorry for the rant but im dead sick and tired of not enjoying boating and would love nothing more than to have a.o. buy this back and go back to eliminator. if you KNOW something tell me, if it's bull **** or guessing keep it to yourself.

Quick Reply: bad porpoising 3100

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.