Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   American Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/american-offshore-56/)
-   -   How would a real windshield look on a 3100? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/american-offshore/280649-how-would-real-windshield-look-3100-a.html)

Catmando 07-13-2012 08:41 PM

How would a real windshield look on a 3100?

One like Aeromarine makes, or one like MTI and Skater use? Would you 3100 owners consider refitting your boat with one?

tssteph 07-13-2012 09:26 PM

I would.

CNC 07-14-2012 12:08 PM

Possibly....

Catmando 07-14-2012 03:43 PM

I well remember my first ride in a 3100. That little flipup did NOTHING to keep the wind off. I thought I was in a hurricane.

shootitup 07-14-2012 04:30 PM

Have also think Somekind windshield but like the look without.

Today start rain when we ride in lake.
water is like raining needles in 70mph..

feline frenzy 07-16-2012 09:38 AM

im taking mine later this week to have one made.ill post pics as soon as its complete.

ROTAX454 07-16-2012 12:56 PM

Before I would even think about a windshield, I need to see an artist or designer rendering first. CAD drawing may work too. Tuff trying to "blend" a windshield (or any windscreen) into a race fairing deck. Can be done, but it has to be not only function, but easy on the eyes too.

Gary, any design drawings or such?

tssteph 07-16-2012 01:06 PM

I tried some photoshop work a while back and everything looked like crap no matter how I did it. the only way it started to look ok was to actually replace the race fairing with a windshield.

shootitup 07-16-2012 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tssteph (Post 3731313)
I tried some photoshop work a while back and everything looked like crap no matter how I did it. the only way it started to look ok was to actually replace the race fairing with a windshield.

Last winter also try to make some photoshop with bad results,
all looks crap. I think it should keep the same line angle with orginal
fairing and then it will go way too high.

feline frenzy 07-17-2012 08:02 AM

no designs yet,waiting for interior to finish up than i gotta take to shop for them to see it. i did stop in toledo when i was bringing my boat home a few weeks ago and had it looked at and the guy at allied plastics idea was to form the bottom to the inside angle and cold form the sheild back towards cockpit than add a forward facing lip to the top to direct more air flow away from face. the sheild would run to the outside edges and round off like nor-tech does on their cats. from the peak of the fairing the height would be only 8" above,that way i could still see over it or duck behind. but i sit lower in the boat im guessing than those of you that use stand up bolsters vs. my sit down buckets?

Catmando 07-19-2012 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by feline frenzy (Post 3732133)
no designs yet,waiting for interior to finish up than i gotta take to shop for them to see it. i did stop in toledo when i was bringing my boat home a few weeks ago and had it looked at and the guy at allied plastics idea was to form the bottom to the inside angle and cold form the sheild back towards cockpit than add a forward facing lip to the top to direct more air flow away from face. the sheild would run to the outside edges and round off like nor-tech does on their cats. from the peak of the fairing the height would be only 8" above,that way i could still see over it or duck behind. but i sit lower in the boat im guessing than those of you that use stand up bolsters vs. my sit down buckets?

Sounds like the Allied Plastics guy may have it figured out. I knew from the angle of the fairing that it was gonna be hard to get one to look right AND keep the wind off as well.

FF another question is how far back along the sides would you want to go? I think a nice light taper from the front to at least halfway between the front bolsters and the bench would work.

Also what material? Is Lexan difficult to keep clear and clean?

ROTAX454 07-19-2012 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3733869)
Sounds like the Allied Plastics guy may have it figured out. I knew from the angle of the fairing that it was gonna be hard to get one to look right AND keep the wind off as well.

FF another question is how far back along the sides would you want to go? I think a nice light taper from the front to at least halfway between the front bolsters and the bench would work.

Also what material? Is Lexan difficult to keep clear and clean?

I would really like to see what Allied has in mind. To me, keeping the Old School look would have the panel with NO side wrap. New look (I agree with you) would have a nice small taper towards the rear.

Polycarbonate (lexan) is available with a scratch resistant coating. You are correct. It is soft and scratches easily (without the coating). As far as visual clarity, I have no expertise in that area.

feline frenzy 07-19-2012 03:21 PM

well the guy from allied had no wrap on it,just rounding outside edge. i'm taking it to solas plastics to get his ideas next week,and he's alot closer than toledo. but yes lexan was the material,coated and to clean it you only use pure carnuba wax. thats it. same as all your motorcycle windsheilds and all the harley guys told my nothing but carnuba. and they've gone years without scratching theirs? but i'd like it to have a slight taper to the rear.

greencard 07-19-2012 08:49 PM

windshield

Keep on this guys, I like the sound of it. Even if the windshield was pretty short and directed most of the air I would be in and 2 others would also......as long as they look good:drink:

Catmando 07-21-2012 12:38 AM

I just had the idea of laying a 2' or 4' metal straight-edge ruler on the fairing(with something underneath it to not scratch the paint)and have somebody raise it to where you want it while you're sitting in the bolster. Then the windscreen shop will know how tall to make it.

Catmando 08-23-2012 12:24 PM

"...but i sit lower in the boat im guessing than those of you that use stand up bolsters vs. my sit down buckets?" felinefrenzy

3100 is a sitdown boat. I've never seen one with standup bolsters.

ROTAX454 08-24-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by feline frenzy (Post 3734380)
i'm taking it to solas plastics to get his ideas next week

Hey Gary, What's up with the windscreen project. We are all interested in how your windscreen product turned out. Details & pics, please?

feline frenzy 08-27-2012 03:44 PM

Sorry guys.i focused every sec to get boat in water before summer ended.and im glad i did.shes awesome.ill get back to windshield asap.wife wants one bad! Bahaha

bulletbob 08-29-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by feline frenzy (Post 3763282)
Sorry guys.i focused every sec to get boat in water before summer ended.and im glad i did.shes awesome.ill get back to windshield asap.wife wants one bad! Bahaha

How about some finished pics of that bad boy! the paint is incredible! Thx.

Bob

feline frenzy 09-04-2012 01:42 PM

bob,thanks. head over to awesome thread,lots of pics there for you to drool over!lol

K Powell 09-05-2012 03:41 PM

Check out the add for my 31 on oso I had this made at a local plastic shop It blocks most of the wind & as you can see from the speedo picture it did not cost much in speed

tssteph 09-05-2012 03:56 PM

i have the long flip up one thats on the hinge and it works great. Prolly a little easier to climb over than yours. Mine does not slow me down either :)

feline frenzy 09-06-2012 06:03 AM

Pix tssteph?

tssteph 09-06-2012 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can see it in this pic. It flips up.

MikaylaHunterCig 09-07-2012 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tssteph (Post 3770699)
You can see it in this pic. It flips up.

I'm about to make one like this for my 98 3100.
I would love to see a close up if possible :)

AO31 09-08-2012 10:18 PM

I have the same full flip up. I thought all 98's came that way? It is amazing how effective it is at any speed. The boat would not be enjoyable to drive without it (unless you have full face helmets). I've bought 1/4 and 5/16" thick acrylic for replacements and both work well. Best part...you can't see it and does not change the lines of the profile.

tssteph 09-10-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by MikaylaHunterCig (Post 3771950)
I'm about to make one like this for my 98 3100.
I would love to see a close up if possible :)

I will take some tonight and post them

MikaylaHunterCig 09-12-2012 01:45 PM

Cant wait to see the picture.

tssteph 09-12-2012 02:16 PM

Sorry, I completely forgot. I will post some tonight.

tssteph 09-13-2012 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go. One with it up and one with it down.

greencard 09-16-2012 10:34 AM

windshield

has anyone seen the origional Chris Cat design that was only a couple inghes high. It angled forward and bolted right to the hull. Mine was long gone when I got mine but I can still see the filled holes where it mounted. Im thinking about trying it.

Hellbent 09-18-2012 12:00 PM

Pffft. Windshields. What's next....a toilet? :poopoo:

tssteph 09-18-2012 12:02 PM

he has a toilet... my kid knows all about it..

greencard 09-18-2012 08:13 PM

windshields

It sure would be nice to see a little better as my tachs bang on 6500. He who has the toilet has the women:thankyouthankyou: