Allez Vite >

Allez Vite

Notices

Allez Vite

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Steve's in South Haven tomorrow... Dang, I'll be in Saugatuk, may have to head a litle further South!
Old 07-26-2008, 06:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ApacheCarl
I stand corrected Pete. Sharon, Steve,Krista, Jim, and myself(you know, the ass) will be in South Haven tomorrow by 2:00 pm. Come on down for a drink. If you can get somebody to drive down and pick you up in St joseph you can throttle the boat back home
better let Krista drive remember what happened last time...
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
better let Krista drive remember what happened last time...
Ouch
Old 07-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

How much for the boat ?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Ike;2635021]
So Ike

If you sent your engines to an engine builder and he cost you all last summers use of your boat, you wouldn't have a problem with it ???? The use of your boat has no value ????

Carl, not everyone has your deep pockets to buy already built teague engines and not send yours out to get rebuilt.

Explain to me how this 16 month engine rebuild is somehow part Steves fault ??? Us "asses" are curious like that.

Maybe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$???

Pete it's"yous" asses
Ike

Deep pockets have nothing to do with it. I ran the same merc 800's for 11 years. I did 2 total rebuilds on that set of engines. Pulled the engines, drove them to the engine builder, 12 weeks later, rebuilt engines. When you have the same boat for almost 20 years you have to repower sometimes. The Teagues were part of the resoration of the boat when it hit 15 years old. We are going to keep the boat another 15 years

I don't doubt Deans technical abilities, I'm sure he builds a great engine. I do doubt his customer service skills. I did alot of boating with Steve and Krista last year, I know what they went through with this guy. I never said a word about it on the boards. When Dean started to BS about what happened in this thread, well lets say I couldn't hold it in anymore. Hes not an engine builder I would use or suggest to anybody else.

With that I not going to comment on this anymore. I'll leave this thread to Dean posting about value. I'll take my "Perfect A-hole" "assness" someplace else and let the thread be hijacked by the Gellner fan boys.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Just FYI for all of my west Michigan offshore brothers...

I know everyone has their preferences, but you already have one of the best offshore engine builders in the country right here in west Michigan (Jenison/Hudsonville)---Dave Wesseldyk. He does not advertise and is only known by his reputation---reliable product, honest, straight forward, no hype and no bs---and he is an extremely smart dude. Dave is also an SBI world class throttleman.

He is welder, machinist, fabricator, craftsman and is always busy building custom offshore engines for somebody and is usually in his shop 7 days per week. He seems to be getting the majority of his customers from the Chicago area at this time.

Everything he gets is by word of mouth and he is at least worth doing some homework on.

www.wescoracingengines.com
Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

I stand corrected Pete. Sharon, Steve,Krista, Jim, and myself(you know, the ass) will be in South Haven tomorrow by 2:00 pm. Come on down for a drink. If you can get somebody to drive down and pick you up in St joseph you can throttle the boat back home
Carl, be careful what you offer: I might just take you up on it!

Where will you dock in South Haven?

And how come Steve didn't let ME throttle whe he gave me a ride in my old boat?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Registered

Default I have 1 st hand experience

I also had my 496 ho engines (from my 2001 353 fastech) rebuilt by Dean ...I also waited 13 months for them to get finished. The reason I had them rebuilt was I had installed procharged 3.5 boost and did not want to blow up the factory pistons. After 2 seasons of running that way I began to get nervous becuase in order to run it without any major issues we ran her pretty rich.

So in the winter of 06 I gave Dean my engines with the expectations of recieving them back between April and June of 07. Upgrading the boost to 5lb and other modifications to the drives and computors etc,etc,etc, Unfortunatley while the engines everyone is talking about were in Deans shop the delays Dean had with those motors also added to my 13 month ordeal.Then a 3 month wait for my engine installer to install them. Since when I got them back it was his busy season .

The parts delays for those engines and also the delays for my custom made parts... J&E pistons (Dean had to send J&E one of my pistons so they could make them 3 months of waiting)and all the custom valve train components that had to be made because of the way the 496 engine is engineered. (inconel valves 3months...pushrods a month...etc.etc.)Needless to say I was not very happy but it definetly put the misses in a fowl mood especially when she didn't like the reasoning I had to disassemble a boat with only 75 hours on it to begin with.
When we did recieve all the parts I thought great now we can go ...guess again Apache motors in my way of my summer. Unfortunatley I had to wait again.

But to tell you the truth it was a blessing in disguise I was able to due other thing with my family (coached my daughters traveling AAU basketball team ) and really made a awesome connection with her that I could never have done if I did not have the extra time. Looking back I am very displeased with the engine time line but very happy it happened for other reasons.

I understand 100% that it is not acceptable to take this long to rebuild anything but I do understand viewing time and time again some of you OSO posters who have had work done and then had to have it re-done because you wanted it now or found it cheaper or what ever your reasoning is ,that this is more acceptable to you than knowing when I get my engines back I do not have to worry about something I already paid for going bad a second time and shelling out more money again. WHATS WORSE?

My engines are running with minor bugs ...finding the correct props ,computor issues the norm you all know the routine. Dean has been working with me in every way possable to make sure that I am satisfied. I can't recall a bill from him to tune my engines once in the boat, or a bill for the 42 phone calls I give him because of prop selection from Hydramotive or getting in touch with his computor guru to help override my pcm 555 settings.
Sometimes even hard working people who try as hard as they can just can't make everything right.
I do not believe (or ever will believe)Dean ever had any intentions to hose anyone over. I work 2 miles from his shop I also work 70-95 hours a week and I see Dean at his shop staring before 8:00am to past 9:00pm when I go home just about everyday, saturdays included this is probably one reason I never vented on OSO, the man works. At any point the owners of any of these motors could have removed them from his shop that is your choice it also is your choice to leave them there...you must have enough confidence as I did in his abilities to do what you wanted.

People in performance boating know it comes with a price go fast, break, spend more money ,miss a season ,spend more money, fix it ,spend more money,fill up the tank ,SPEND MORE MONEY, truthfully we all know the rules/ if its to rich for the blood then get out. I don't care if you have a 20 foot whatever, you want something bigger or faster but our income dictates everything trust me if you could afford a 150 mph (fill in the blank boat) you would buy one and if a motor pops you pay some absurd price to fly one in this weekend .

Ya I wish things were different but unfortunately it is what it is. I am happy to be boating again and hopefully by the end of this summer I will reach triple digets then all will be well again in my little world.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

WOW I've been on vacation and come back to this this, well let me clear up a few details. First of all I' d like to say wake up Dean you could of put this whole issue to rest if you just would have said you were sorry it took 16 months to finish the product, but since you chose to take the unprofessional route of actually acting your customer I feel compelled to clear up some issues. First of all Dean quoted me 8 weeks to complete my motor rebuild and it took 16 months, didit have to take 16 months I don't think so so Mark Mc Manus was able to build and deliver a 50 foot boat with power in 11 months, which I'm sure Dean would agree he would do things differently next time. Is the quality there I'm sure it is however I have never heard the engines run they sure do look nice sitting in my barn but since I didn't get them back until half way through the summer I go to the back of the line for installation which brings me to the end of the summer. As far as the $4500 in work he did for free for me it's small compensation for the 2 years off the water and by the way including the $4500 he did for free he was still $10,000 over the quote he initially gave me. All that said I still wouldn't have been that disappointed if he just would have delivered the product when he said he was going to, there was a 3 month delay in new rods they were on back order which lets face it stuff happens that can't be avoided. I always figued when your dealing with boats figure twice as much as expected and twice as long as expected never in a million years did I plan on it taking 8 times as long for completion. To quote Dean himself he said once he got the rods it would only take 2 weeks to finish if everthing went well, well he got the rods in september and it was a struggle to get the motors by late june, I'm not a mathematician but that's longer than 2 weeks, again if he would have been honest about the time frame it wouldn't have been as devasting but considering I paid for full coverage insurance on my boat for two years on 4 poker runs which Dean insisted the boat was going to be ready for and then it wasn't. I know all of you out there know the cost of such things and know that the $4500 he so called did for free was no bargain, and on top of it all be accused that we have a money issue. Lets be clear I don't have a money issue I'm sure Dean can verify he got paid within a day or week of everytime he sent me a bill and the boat is for sale not must sell, we are living in South Carolina and the inland lakes there really don't require a 41 apache. Just an FYI to Dean a professional way of handling this would have been to say regretably it took 16 months to finish if you could have done things differently you would have but the you think the end result is fantastic. Don't attack your paying customers and give some lame a** excuses for what happen. Don't make promises you can't keep if it's going to take you 16 months tell your customer that. Honesty goes along way, and another note the engines were Richie Zul and they ran fantastic we had no problems with them for over 150 hours of use so please don't imply that they were bags of sh** when you got them because they weren't, anyone who saw Allez Vite run with those motors can agree it ran well. So just be mature and don't blame the previous engine builder or your paying customer and say I'm sorry it took longer than it should have and move on. Again nobody is questioning your quality they are questioning your time frame, because again if Mark McManus can build a 50 foot boat with power in less than 11 months why can't you do an engine rebuild in less than 16 months.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve
That is quite an ordeal! I can only hope that when it all is said & done Allez Vite is running awesome for a long time. And Steve Nykamp is happy and smiling about his Apache. If anyone deserves that, it's you.
Ed

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 07-26-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Allez Vite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.