Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Awesome (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/awesome-91/)
-   -   Project Awesome - Author responses only please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/awesome/242717-project-awesome-author-responses-only-please.html)

ROTAX454 11-24-2010 10:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some final work in the cockpit area before going to the paint shop. The original lower rear seat storage access was only from plexiglas sliding door on the front side. Later models (believe after 2000) had the access thru the top side of the rear seat area. Mine had a fixed bottom seat unit. Michael McLeod during the interior work, installed a double hinge unit to allow the rear seat bottom to fold up, like the later Awesome's.

Michael was kind enough to provide me with a dimensional print of the cut-out area's. After some precise cutting, Dave prepped the area and finished off with gel. He also filled in all of the snap-in carpet screw holes in the cockpit floor. The last pic here was after Mitch had shot the entire cockpit with a fresh coat of bright white paint.

ROTAX454 12-05-2010 05:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well here it is-----2009 and finally getting the boat project fired off. Made arrangements with the original painter of Awesome Powerboats, Mitcher T. Custom Painting in Grand Rapids Michigan. Mitch originally painted the boat when it was new back in 98. I believe his first attempt at a Tribal design. I took it back to him for some upgrades in 2004, and now back to him for some further refinements.

I didn't like the old school painting of the race fairing. Originally had a full purple color, then in 04 I had it half white and half purple. Changed it now to all white. With the entire cockpit interior out, I had Mitch shoot the entire cockpit liner and dash. Now it will match the rest of the boat. The gel was looking "tired" and I wanted it ALL to match

ROTAX454 12-05-2010 05:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With the full trailer cover in place, time to leave Yankee Springs and head home. Thanks Mitch.

BTW. Some of Mitch's handy work. He paints the top equipment boxes on the MSP bikes for us.

ROTAX454 12-05-2010 05:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, this project is finally moving forward. The engine compartment was a mess. Little organization and that bad purple paint meant only one thing------start from a blank sheet. First pics are the "before" painting. The before included some filler to cover many holes that will not be used. Huge amount of sanding was in order too. And I mean hours upon hours. Everything was removed. Eventually the hydro steering hoses too.

ROTAX454 12-05-2010 05:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The original motors were mounted on wood platforms grafted to the side of the tunnel as pictured. The wood platform served as a mounting base for standard merc style engine mounts.

Out comes the grinder and large portion of the platform was trimmed away to clearance the new offshore motor mounts. Mounted to the stringers, thank you.

The trim pumps previously were mounted on the tunnel floor. They are now going to be mounted to an aluminum transom plate. I am designing this to have a clear tunnel floor. Custom floor panel is in the works. ;-)

ROTAX454 12-20-2010 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Polished aluminum panel being fitted on the transom. The trim pumps and other components will be mounted on this panel. Trying to keep the center floor area-----"clean".

ROTAX454 12-20-2010 07:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Original hull was fitted with thru-hull water pickups as shown in the first set of pics. Dave put talents to work "again" and filled in these rather large holes in the hull. Old school design gone.

ROTAX454 12-20-2010 07:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
In with the new. Transom adjustable water pickups that is. Teague supplied these fine pieces (OK, my CC paid for them).
I bored the feed holes and cut-in the notch for the water to feed the pick-up tube. I had to relocate the original bilge drain fittings. The new pick-up located right over them. Dave performed the fill, seal and paint work. New drain fitting relocated to the outside of the pick-up tube.

ROTAX454 12-03-2011 05:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
WOW. How time flies by. Bout time to get this project back on course. Getting up to speed now with "work in progress".

Back from getting some cockpit interior upgrades from the Awesome "standard". Added some much needed cockpit storage (can always use more) beyond just what is under the rear seat. OK, and the tiny glovebox too.

Just wanted some easy to get at storage for ropes and items that you need in a short amount of time. Did not want just some open storage with a net keeper. Saw this idea on a new Nor-Tec. I will add a partial net to keep the items off of the zipper cover opening.

ROTAX454 12-03-2011 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The "standard" cabin from Awesome is just that-----standard. I would not even call it a cover girl. Plain Jane with no real nice work either. For now my time is limited so a partial makeover is in order. Later the entire carpet and headliner are to be removed and replaced.
Tear out the housing behind the dash area. Never liked it anyways. Remove and toss the carpeted wood board the acted as a cover for the forward area access.

Dave and his crew built a housing unit that now went from the top of the tunnel bed to the ceiling. A middle divider was installed to section the top from the bottom (for storage purposes). Access doors for both upper and lower sections. Easy access for rigging and storage once completed. Vinyl covered (no carpet thank you) and now looks nice and very functional.