Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Throttel mounted trim switch not working (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/109034-throttel-mounted-trim-switch-not-working.html)

Rocko C 08-01-2005 07:03 PM

Throttel mounted trim switch not working

My switches were working fine when all of a sudden, it will only trim down now. The dash mounted switches work fine raising and lowering the drive, it's only the switch on the thottle...any thoughts ?

Ironmanwb 08-02-2005 03:17 PM

Re: Throttel mounted trim switch not working

Pull the switch apart and make sure the it is making contact in the up position. Mine was doing the same thing on my old 24 sport and I had to use some emry cloth to clean the contact points.

Good luck

mcourson 08-02-2005 09:20 PM

I am having the same problem. Second time it has happened. There was a letter to Teague on Tech in this month's powerboat.

My question is. How do you get the old throttle/shifter combo apart to look at the switch.

pwam1 08-02-2005 11:50 PM

If your switch is mounted in the center of the throttle ball in a red plastic plate, pry the back side of the red part off with a knife, and there are two screws there holding the switch side in. Pull it out, and the switch slides right out of the holder.

Rocko C 08-03-2005 01:38 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll pull it apart and clean it.

SLINGSHOT 08-06-2005 06:54 PM

wd40

Rocko C 06-25-2006 08:07 PM

Re: Throttle mounted trim switch not working

Ok, here's an update. I got flustered trying to figure this out last year so I wired the switch into the dash mounted trailer trim switch...bad idea. Anyway, I wired it back the way it should be today. Neither the throttle mounted switch nor the dash mounted trim switch will raise the drive. I can lower the drive just fine. The trailer trim (both dash mounted switches together) works fine, it will raise the drive up all the way. I tested both switches with a multi-meter and they are fine. I looked at the trim pump and everything seems ok, I don't think it's a relay since the drive moves all the way up and down, just not with the trim switch. The wire in question is purple...it comes from the switch and goes to God knows where. Voltage is being applied to the purple wire, I just don't know where it's being interrupted. Before I search for a break in this purple wire, I figure'd I'd throw it out to you guys/gals first. Thanks, Rocko C.

dave-01 06-25-2006 09:54 PM

I had the same thing happen last year. I had the same drive movements as long as I was using the trailer trim switch... I had to replace the trim sender on the side of the gimbal, all works good.

Dave

Ironmanwb 06-26-2006 01:20 PM

Don't forget the wire could be broken inside the insulation. I have had that happend many times with trailer wires. The wire will look fine but when you take them apart they are broken.

Good luck if all else fails...............PAY SOMEONE TO FIX IT.

Rocko C 06-27-2006 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dave-01
I had the same thing happen last year. I had the same drive movements as long as I was using the trailer trim switch... I had to replace the trim sender on the side of the gimbal, all works good.

Dave

Dave, that's what it is. I'll have to order the parts and set a day or two aside to get it done. Thanks everyone for your replies, Rocko C.