Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Easy way to Pittsburgh from NY? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/130274-easy-way-pittsburgh-ny.html)

BRET 05-16-2006 11:20 AM

Easy way to Pittsburgh from NY?

As you can see from my other thread, I got my 36 OL. Its at Fox Chapel in Pittsburgh. I have to tow my 33 Outlaw out there as a trade. Does anyone know the easy way from upstate NY?
On maps.com it says West on I-90 (NYS Thruway) from Albany to Buffalo then South on I-79 to Pitts. Thruway is a toll road, I don't know what they charge for a triple axle trailer.

I was thinking of going South on 87 (NYS Thruway) to 84 west and picking up 80 West in Scranton. Is 80 a good road? I hate to travel the Thruway West, its boring, but it seems to be the most direct route.
I might take 88 to Binghamton and south to Scranton then west to Pittsburgh.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Bret

RollWithIt 05-16-2006 12:02 PM

Re: Easy way to Pittsburgh from NY?

You will have no problem with Interstate 80. Its the route alot of truckers use to get across state instead of taking the Turnpike which is Interstate 76. But that crosses further south than you will need to go. I would say 80 to 79 south is a good plan. Then once on 79 South, take the 279 South split right after you pass the Wexford Exit on 79 South. Not sure what the number is. 279 will take you directly towards Pittsburgh and will get you to the north Shore. From there you can get onto 28 North and take that to Fox Chapel. If you have any questions when you get close, give me a call on my cell. 412-523-3562 Im right here in Pittsburgh.

BRET 05-16-2006 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
You will have no problem with Interstate 80. Its the route alot of truckers use to get across state instead of taking the Turnpike which is Interstate 76. But that crosses further south than you will need to go. I would say 80 to 79 south is a good plan. Then once on 79 South, take the 279 South split right after you pass the Wexford Exit on 79 South. Not sure what the number is. 279 will take you directly towards Pittsburgh and will get you to the north Shore. From there you can get onto 28 North and take that to Fox Chapel. If you have any questions when you get close, give me a call on my cell. 412-523-3562 Im right here in Pittsburgh.

Thanks,
I appreciate it. Never been out there and I hate not knowing where I'm going especially towing my boat.

RollWithIt 05-16-2006 12:16 PM

Its not hard. 28 can be a bit tight at places. Its a four lane road and not always divided. Traffic can be a bit h too during the week. I would recommend watching your speeds. I know the Troopers watch 80 and 79 since they are both truck routes. Usually 70 in a 65 or 65 in a 55 is good. But you can kinda judge by the flow of traffic.

RollWithIt 05-16-2006 12:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some maps to illustrate how you would get there. If memory serves me correct, when going from 279 south to 28 north, you actually get off on East Ohio Street then run that east to 28 North. Its on the map.

RollWithIt 05-16-2006 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It also looks like you can cut the corner by getting onto 36 South from I 80. 36 turns into 28 and you can run 28 South all the way to the Fox Chapel, Aspinwal exit. Exit 8. I dont know if this will be faster or not. Ive only gone as far north on 28 as Butler. So not sure what the road is like between there and I 80. But its highway all the way till you hit Fox Chapel from Butler. Heres a pic of the interchange with I 80

BRET 05-16-2006 12:42 PM

Thank you,
It doesn't seem too complicated, but I'll probably get lost anyhow. You might be getting a call. Any good hotels in the area?

RollWithIt 05-17-2006 06:12 PM

There's alot of good hotels in the area. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Havent stayed in too many since I live here. But have frequented a couple for some special weekends. :D

cbeastwood 05-17-2006 07:57 PM

Sorry to disagree with you Jason, but I was on 80 recently and it was LOADED with construction - miles and miles of single lanes in each direction. I've been on 79 all the way up to Erie and have seen hardly any construction...

So, Bret, I would come down through Erie...and then follow Jason's directions to get to FCM. Did you buy the "Steeler Boat"?

ericaull 05-18-2006 09:36 AM

Truth be known....there is no easy way to get there from here. The Pa tpke sux, especially in the rain, I drove a tractor trailer that route for many years.....Be Careful. ERIK :eek: