Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Anyone added cleat trim? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/135932-anyone-added-cleat-trim.html)

Blewbyyou 07-24-2006 12:03 PM

Anyone added cleat trim?

Has anyone added the anodized trim rings around the cleats of an outlaw? How are they removed? Do you have to get your hands on the backside of the cleat, remove the black cup and get a wrench on the nuts or can they be removed some other way. They seem impossible to get to. Has anyone tried this?

Wild Card 09 07-24-2006 05:08 PM

Re: Anyone added cleat trim?

1 Attachment(s)
The rear cleats are the easiest, and you can do them alone, the middle and front ones will need two sets of hands. You donīt need to remove the black covers (or the aluminum reinforcement plate). If they stay in place leave them on, but be real careful not to damage them, or the drain fitting on them. After removing the four fixing bolts, pop up the cleat and start to work it back and forth until the silicon lets go. Be patient, it will let go. You can carefully wedge a thin screwdiver under one side to speed things up ( if you mark the gelcoat slghtly its ok īcos the bezel is going to cover the edge). Remove any excess silicon from the underside of the cleat otherwise it wonīt sit nicely in the bezel. Fit the bezel with silicon, but donīt use too much.
Donīt try to do this job within a time limit. Every mass production fitted cleat is a new adventure! Sometimes the cleats are so badly postioned that you will have to do some filing (and remove the black cover, anyway) in order to get the bezeled cleat to fit nicely.

They look really good when done properly

Blewbyyou 07-26-2006 10:52 AM

Thanks Wild Card,
Are you saying that the nuts and the drain cup will stay in place? I assumed I would have to remove them and get a wrench on the nuts. If not, that would be great. Do you have a pic of one removed from the boat?

30 outlaw 2005 07-26-2006 11:04 AM

Wild you posted somwhere what you used on the gas filler cap? could you please let me know I can't remember and can't find the thread.
Thanks

Rob

Dock Holiday 07-26-2006 11:25 AM

That looks "GREAT" Wild Card.

Thanks

haulinvols 07-26-2006 12:09 PM

I can almost hear Dock calling trick to order some.

Dock Holiday 07-26-2006 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by haulinvols
I can almost hear Dock calling trick to order some.

You know me pretty well!

I just wish I had some money left over after this trip to New York City.

After $60.00 lunches, $200.00 + in taxi fares, a $600.00 purse for the wife from Gucci, and $400.00 shoes for the daughter, plus hotel, tours, Broadway plays, etc.

I'm BROKE! :(

haulinvols 07-26-2006 12:28 PM

I heard that, every time I go to NY I come home broke. It just makes me realize just how good we have it here in the south.

Blewbyyou 07-26-2006 12:33 PM

Doc,
Don't buy any yet...these things give me to much trouble and I will have 6 red ones to sell ya cheap!

TEAMBAJA 07-26-2006 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
You know me pretty well!

I just wish I had some money left over after this trip to New York City.

After $60.00 lunches, $200.00 + in taxi fares, a $600.00 purse for the wife from Gucci, and $400.00 shoes for the daughter, plus hotel, tours, Broadway plays, etc.

I'm BROKE! :(

See what kind of money the purse will bring on EBAY! :eek:

:drink: