Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
New Guy just wanted to say hello and have a quick ? >

New Guy just wanted to say hello and have a quick ?

Notices

New Guy just wanted to say hello and have a quick ?

Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy just wanted to say hello and have a quick ?

I have been snooping around this site for quite some time (May 07’).I haven’t registered until today because I was unsure/ timid of posting here (OSO in general) for the simple fact that the boat I purchased was not a “true” off shore boat in the eyes of many on here. But after reading in this section I think all of you that participate here can be a huge source of information/knowledge which I greatly appreciate.
That said I have recently purchased a 08 26’ Outlaw (hasn’t been wet yet). This boat is rigged w/ 525merc and all the options that come with that motor option (ordered w/ 1.25” raised X).
I have two quick questions to pull from the knowledge on this forum;
1) DOCK H- you have mentioned in the past that you are unsure of the stringers of new models(if I understood/read your post in context)….any chance you will expand privately (pm?). You may have explained/expanded on the issue in the past and I missed it…but being a new buyer…you only hear/read/fear the worst.
2) If I remember correctly there is another member here that has a 26 w/ a 600…We will be trying to dial in our boat this summer and would love to hear what you have learned with prop options if you wish to share.
Thanks for any info. I really enjoy this site and certainly this section. Ton of great Info

H.

Last edited by HR26OL; 04-10-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: raised X
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site and to the Baja family. Don't feel timid about posting any questions you have here. I think a lot of the "baja bashing" that goes on around here is mostly in good fun. You have a great boat with a great setup and you should be very proud of it!

That being said, I'm sure Dock will respond sometime next week as he is in Texas for the Lake Travis Shootout.

I can tell you that there is a gent on this site that has repowered his 25 Outlaw with a 525 named "Wildcard" and I'm sure he can be a good source of information for you. I believe he will chime in shortly and has seen some impressive numbers out of his ride.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey! Welcome to the site. Congrats on the purchase -525 is a great motor!
That raised x will help a lot, ask WildCard - he knows all the tricks to make these puppies roll.

I'd bet you could spin a 26 B1 to the moon. I'd guess a standard 28 B1 might be a little tall for the 525 but a labbed 28 would probably work well.

Where are you located, when are you heading out for the maiden voyage?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HR26OL
I have been snooping around this site for quite some time (May 07’).I haven’t registered until today because I was unsure/ timid of posting here (OSO in general) for the simple fact that the boat I purchased was not a “true” off shore boat in the eyes of many on here. But after reading in this section I think all of you that participate here can be a huge source of information/knowledge which I greatly appreciate.

H.
Welcome aboard, I owned a 272 for several years before moving on to the 38 special and like you was timid about joining either OSO or TBM. Seeing all these guys with MTI's, Outerlimits, Nortechs was very intimidating. Then I met John(OSO NaplesBaja) one day at the docks who invited me to join a group of OSO guys on a fun run the following day. I have to tell you that I have never been so welcomed into a group. I joined OSO the next day and over the past year and a half have truly been able to enjoy the sport to a much greater level than doing it myself before. I am fortunate in that we have a very active chapter down here in SWFL with the Ft Myers Offshore. We run with boats as large as 51' OL down to guys with 21' Scarabs and although you might think that there would be some type of elitist attitudes there aren't ANY, just one great passion and that is performance boating. Although I don't post a lot in this section I am on OSO at least twice a day and spend quite a bit of time in the FMO section. I can't tell you the amount of info I have picked up in here. You apparently have now seen the light and posted up but I am sure there are at least ten other lurkers like you and me out there so my message to them is come on in and join the addiction Also I have to diagree with your thoughts of a 26 outlaw with 525 power maybe not being a true offshore boat. My 272 only had a 454 mag in it and I did just fine in 4 footers and was even bearable in 6 footers. That 26 is a heck of an offshore boat.

Okay now that I have all of that off of my chest I don't beleive I can help you out an ounce on proping that that boat Good luck and see you on the water

John
Old 04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

H - no worries on the 26 OL with the stringers. The 30 had some issues in the first year model and Baja made good on them.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Heath, you know you can call me about any Q big or small. I will always shoot you straight! Harbor hop is coming!!

BAM

PBC
Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

welcome a board, well what did the boat come with for a prop and that was a good idea on the raised x. my 24ol picked up about 4 or 5mph I think cause I changed my carb to a custom 1050 dom. and just talked to mrhorsepower Dean about a new carb intake for this summer to get 700hp out of 670 I have now, orI may pick up a sister motor thats a 572 1000hp. I don't plan on hitting the water until july any way. art
Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Should come with 26 pitch see if you dealer will let you try a few different props 26,28, maybe a Hydromotive if they have a few. You should have a screaming boat on your hands.

WILL
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Registered

Welcome.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Heard my name

Welcome to the OSO board. 26OL is a cool boat, and the 525 is the perfect motor to get the most out of it! I´ve love the motor´s character and it really delivers.
I take it you have also got the (standard on blue motor upgrades) Latham full hydraulic steering and K-planes options.

The higher x is definitely the right option, as it is the conservatively low drive that stops the boat gaining speed as it reaches mid 70´s. You should be looking to use all the revs and get the peak performance at just below the 5350 revlimiter.

25/26´s (and most single Baja hulls) respond best to bow lifting props, and that means the Bravo 4 blade is the first place to look. Starting with a 26", which is probably what Baja specced onto your boat. The original Merc labbed props free up some more revs at the top end. I like the way the boat runs in the rough with a labbed prop, as it doesn´t bite the water quite so hard but still stay connected at all times (unlike many 3 blades).

As with all blue motors, the 525 will have an hour or two of running time already from the factory. The tolerances on those motors (and the fact that Merc Racing know how their customers want to drive) mean that they can handle more abuse than most. However, be patient, and break the motor in nice and smooth. It will reward you for it.
Even so, the factory manual actually allows you to wind up to 4500 rpm( bursts), which is enough to get to know the boat.

Once you´ve had the oil changed after 10 hours, you can start to look for speed. The non-stepped hull can be disappointingly slow on smooth water. You need a little chop to loosen the boat up, but keeps your eyes on the watr at all times. Above 70 mph on choppy water in a 25 footer is where that "speed changes you" thing starts to happen......

Listen to the boat, and understand what it does in different conditions, and then start trying out some different props, depending on what revs you are seeing.

Quick Reply: New Guy just wanted to say hello and have a quick ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.