Plugs, oil, etc etc

Notices

Plugs, oil, etc etc

Old 05-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Plugs, oil, etc etc

Fellow Baja owners,

I was wondering what kind of plugs you guys were running, also type of oil and other lubricants that you are running. I'm trying to find out what everybody likes so I can stick with that. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

97 272 502 MPI,,, Rapid Fire #1 plugs,,,,,, Royal Purple racing straight 40 synthetic oil. Merc high performance gear lube with drive cooler. 520 hours,,, no problems.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:27 PM
JAX25OUTLAW

Merc Plugs, Valvoline 40 racing oil, high perfomance gear lube. If you have a 502 like we do remember those suckers love to drink oil and stay on top of it. ALWAYS, ALWAYS have an extra quart on board. I tried running non straight 40 but when you run hard and it gets hot the oil pressure would drop down some. Straight 40 hasn't seen that problem. Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2002, 12:44 PM
Registered

454 Mag, 25-40 Mercruiser oil, just replaced NGK plugs with Champions (no preference), and try to use Merc or QuickSilver products for everything else, grease, fluids, filters.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Registered

Thanks a lot......BIG help.

I'm going to try to stick with either merc or quicksilver stuff only.

Another question would be WHEN to change fluids. I've heard most people say 40 hrs for oil. As a new boat owner I'm trying to stay on top of making sure I put the right stuff in and to make sure I'm changing everything when it should be.

As far as my boat it's a Hammer with the 454 Mag motor so I'll probably go with 25-40 merc oil as I have read.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey 97Boss,

You can't go wrong with the Merc stuff, but it will cost you a little more. I usually just use the QS 25-40 oil and high-performance gear lube. Though, Jax brings up a good point, the oil will drop in pressure after longer, harder runs. I might try straight 40 next time.

As for intervals, it depends...I know you hate to hear answers like that but it does. It depends on how you run. The Merc manuals indicate oil and gear lube changes every 100 hours or every season.

I can't see how anyone could go that long though!

I usually change the oil every 20 hours and gear lube every 50 hours. Cruisers and other such nonperformance boats with the same engine packages might go longer...they typically run less rpms and less airtime which can attribute to much of that.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Registered

Valvoline Racing Straight 40, NGK Plugs, Merc High Performance Gear Lube, Merc Trim Oil, ATF for Latham, and Merc oil and water filters.
Old 05-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Registered

I bought a manual at Boat US, and it said change oil every 50 hours. Can't remeber on the gear lube and such. I was planning on going by those guidelines, but Baja Daze makes a good point, the more abuse, the more often it should be changed. I only put 30 hours on last year. I was told by dealer it is VERY important to change plugs every season. I'm sure sure there is a tune-up schedule for you guys with 12 month boating seasons.
Now I'm wondering about my outdrive, should I go by hours or change it at least once a year?
Old 05-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Registered

Ok i change my answer now...I'm using straight Merc 40 now

I think I'll just stick with Merc stuff all the way around, I'd rather have peice of mind knowing I bought the good stuff. I guess I'll plan to change the oil every 40 hrs just to be on the safe side, and if I've been running it hard maybe a little earlier.

How about GREASE?? how often do you guys do this? Trailer grease included.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Found my answer, change gear lube every season.
Unsure on the greasing, I pumped alot of grease into the gimble nipple, couldn't see any coming out anywhere??
Greased trailer bearings (trailer buddies) had alot of water and gooey stuff come out before I got a good flow of pure grease. Just kind of shook trailer tires, bearings seem tight, and tire wear is fine. Kicked myself in ass, just traded last year, everything, including trailer bearing grease was supposed to be "all set".
Anyway if you got trailer buddies, just pump a little grease in now and then, especially if you load and unload alot, and make sure you got a nice outflow of pure grease.

Quick Reply: Plugs, oil, etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.