Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Thinking of Purchase - 1998 252 Opinions? >

Thinking of Purchase - 1998 252 Opinions?

Notices

Thinking of Purchase - 1998 252 Opinions?

Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jiminmichigan
Hello,

I know this is an older post relative to the 1998 Baja 252. I am considering looking at one to purchase. However the posts relative to transom and stringer rot has me very concerned. I believe also XT-Innovator is/was a Baja employee so all your opinions are very important to me.

I also have a 34' Silverton Express and when I was researching boats in this size I found out mid to late 80's Wellcraft 32' and 34' cruisers were notorious for stringer rod.

My question; does the 1998 Baja 252 have the same reputation for stringer and transom rot. My concern is not only making sure I get a good boat, but if I decide to re-sell it will it be a hindrance with a rot reputation?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim
Jim, I worked for Baja from 84' to 2008 when it was closed in Ohio. I think your rot concern should be no more for the Baja 252 than almost any boat from any builder in the 90's. I think it has more to do with the history of the boat rather than how they are built. Any boat that has wood in the construction has the possibility of rot if it sat for any long periods with a bilge full of water, or from sitting in the water with holes that were not sealed proper. Tap Test: on the 252 (or any boat) do a tap test on the whole boat but check the transom first. The cutout for the gimbal only has a thin coating of sealer after the cutout was made and that makes it difficult to seal that area if there was a bilge full of water at any time. Start by taking a small hammer, or even the handle of a screw driver and tap the transom corner. That same solid sound needs to be on the entire transom and you will hear a difference and feel it if there is rot, or a hollow spot. Don't bang on it like your driving a nail, just hold the hammer about 1" of surface and tap it and the hammer will bounce off when solid and stick with a hollow thud where it may be rotted. Check close to the dive cutout and anything mounted or drilled through the transom. Next tap the bottom running surface to see if there is any delamination with the balsa cored bottom. This is a little more rare to find problems unless you find any bottom damage that water could have entered into the coring. Last is to check the engine compartment by tapping the engine stringers and the battery platforms. If you can sick your fingers in any drain holes you can see and feel for flaking wood particles. Cockpit wood floors is another place to check by just walking on every spot you can. Cabin stringers can also rot, but if the boat has passed all the other testing it is most likely to be fine. A moisture meter is another great tool if you know someone in the boat repair business, or a boat inspector. I hope this helps!

I have had guys that wanted to start a boat right away when I go to look at one and I do the tap testing first, and then I say ok let's hear it run. Last year I bought a 1986 Baja 220 Sport that passed the transom, bottom, and stringer test, but it had a soft spot in the wood cockpit floor that I am willing to fix on my own.

XT

Last edited by XT-Innovator; 03-30-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you XT for the advice. I just looked at a 1997 252, beautiful boat. It passed the tap test. However, when I was under the boat I noticed a row of blistering on the gelcoat. It was probably 3" wide and about 8' long. There were a lot of blisters. Perhaps 10 had completely peeled off, a lot were cracked and the rest were just blisters. I'm trying to find out how much of a problem this is and what will it take to fix it. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. I have photos, but don't know how to post them. Thanks again