Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
school me a bit (first time buyer). >

school me a bit (first time buyer).

Notices

school me a bit (first time buyer).

Old 07-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts
Default school me a bit (first time buyer).

First off hello board....heard great things about this place and the people.

Was a big car guy but that has gotten old and over it and want a "power boat" as my life always has to do with the water and beach and have just always been a fan.

I am 29 and this will be my first boat. I have driven many and co-owned one but none were mine and none were anything more than C.C. And Bowriders.....anyway.

We started looking a a 20' outlaw. As for the price its a great boat all though i wanted a bit bigger, a small cabin, and of course a bit more power.

So i am looking into a Hammer or a H2X currently. All the ones i see in my price point ($25k area) seem to be around a 2001 year and around the 24'/25' in size. I would like a 454 or bigger, single engine only, and prefer F.I., and want something that has relability with it.

I REALLY like the H2X as it seems to have the most out of my wish list but I am a newbie here. Any info general or not would be great!

I would like to do some of the FL poker runs too with it. I know i can't run with the big guys but just to run would be a joy as i have just always been a fan at one of the check points.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have 25k to spend, Hands-down go with a 24-25 Outlaw, or a 272 - the ride alone is enough reason to go that route. The H2x and Hammer are probably faster with the same power...that is till the waves get turned up and then you start to see the difference and performance gains the bigger heavier boats have.

Also pay attention to the true sizes...Outlaws have bolt on swim platforms that arent included in the overall length where the H2x Hammer, 272's are molded with the fiberglass and are included.

good luck shopping
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agree with the above, for Florida waters get a true deep vee, 24' or larger.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by will22
If you have 25k to spend, Hands-down go with a 24-25 Outlaw, or a 272 - the ride alone is enough reason to go that route. The H2x and Hammer are probably faster with the same power...that is till the waves get turned up and then you start to see the difference and performance gains the bigger heavier boats have.

Also pay attention to the true sizes...Outlaws have bolt on swim platforms that arent included in the overall length where the H2x Hammer, 272's are molded with the fiberglass and are included.

good luck shopping
Ya i have $25k maybe a little more if needed just really want to stay under 30k.

I really would like having something to handle some seas as i live right in Clearwater and it will be taken in the Gulf most all the time so a quality ride would be more to me than a few mph.

I have heard that too about the swim platforms and was going to check the true length without the platform but i don't want anything too large as the last boat i was at the wheel often was 21' and i need to get use to having something a bit bigger and a lot faster.

Thanks again i will start homework on a Outlaw.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Registered

Hey man I was in your same situation. I was stuck on Baja. But something to consider is look at powerquest. Just as good quality with cheeper price. More boat for ur Buck . I just bought a single engine 28foot an love it with 454 an it will run about 65 to 67 depending on water conditions. Also I'm on loto an very rough water 4th of July we were running with constant 4 to 6 ft wake an handled great
Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dra200832
Hey man I was in your same situation. I was stuck on Baja. But something to consider is look at powerquest. Just as good quality with cheeper price. More boat for ur Buck . I just bought a single engine 28foot an love it with 454 an it will run about 65 to 67 depending on water conditions. Also I'm on loto an very rough water 4th of July we were running with constant 4 to 6 ft wake an handled great
Not stuck on Baja but i know i get a good boat for the money involved. I am open to others and suggestions for sure. I picked baja as like i said i know what i am getting.....i will learn more with time i am sure and love to about other makes pros or cons.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered

I was just throwing the idea out there from what I went threw
Old 07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Find a 272,,,,,perfect first boat and within your cost range

easy to tow, yet big enough to handle some water, and sleep on.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered

I was exactly like you a few years ago...started looking at a hammer, then was about to sign on a H2X and came across a 25' outlaw. I went with the outlaw and couldnt have been happier.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

My vote goes to an outlaw over a hammer or h2x because of the deadrise/better ride. Especially if you're going to boat in the ocean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.