Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   Boxes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/268971-boxes.html)

conneroutlaw 01-18-2012 06:13 AM

Boxes

What do they mean when they talk about boxes on an engine?
Or boxes in general and motors? What are boxes?

A.O. Razor 01-18-2012 06:33 AM

We are talking about extension boxes. They are used to create a setback for the outdrive. The most common extension box for a B1 drive has a 12" setback, but 7" are very common as well. They can be had as straight or with lift. Usually the boxes with lift has a 3" lift. Latham, IMCO, Stellings and others are makers of extension boxes.

brian41 01-18-2012 06:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boxes on a Baja

Irishtornado 01-18-2012 10:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Another closeup shot of boxes on a Baja

conneroutlaw 01-19-2012 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3595873)
We are talking about extension boxes. They are used to create a setback for the outdrive. The most common extension box for a B1 drive has a 12" setback, but 7" are very common as well. They can be had as straight or with lift. Usually the boxes with lift has a 3" lift. Latham, IMCO, Stellings and others are makers of extension boxes.

What do they do for performance on a boat?

Thanks

jj

conneroutlaw 01-19-2012 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Irishtornado (Post 3596082)
Another closeup shot of boxes on a Baja

Great pictures. I now know what they look like. How do they help in performance

Irishtornado 01-19-2012 02:27 AM

They fool the boat basically into thinking it's 12" longer changing the leverage point that the drive has and allowing the boat to run at less trim angle. In some instances like mine it actually raised the X dimension by 1" installing the Imco Neutral box. If you install anything other than a 7" Latham or 12" Imco Neutral or Stellings adjustablel box. Which basically leaves the Imco -3 box you have to raise your engine which in most instances creates ALOT of work.

conneroutlaw 01-19-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Irishtornado (Post 3596649)
They fool the boat basically into thinking it's 12" longer changing the leverage point that the drive has and allowing the boat to run at less trim angle. In some instances like mine it actually raised the X dimension by 1" installing the Imco Neutral box. If you install anything other than a 7" Latham or 12" Imco Neutral or Stellings adjustablel box. Which basically leaves the Imco -3 box you have to raise your engine which in most instances creates ALOT of work.

Thank you for explaining it to me. It doesn't sound like something I will be doing. My first priority this spring is the hydraulic steering, then the msd box or rev limiter ( dyno testing the engine) so I don't over rev the engine and blow it up when the the outdrive comes out of the water.

Thank you again for explaining it to me

jj

I would really like to know the exact horse power the boat has

A.O. Razor 01-20-2012 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Irishtornado (Post 3596649)
Which basically leaves the Imco -3 box you have to raise your engine which in most instances creates ALOT of work.

Irish. It is not in most instances BUT ALL INTANCES A LOT OF FRIGGIN' WORK:lolhit::evilb:

A.O. Razor 01-20-2012 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw (Post 3596661)
so I don't over rev the engine and blow it up when the the outdrive comes out of the water.

I you want to fly your boat, you need to throttle it. A rev limiter won't save your motor or outdrive.