Stereo amplifier >

Stereo amplifier

Notices

Stereo amplifier

Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo amplifier

Looking for suggestions on where to mount a stereo amp on a 1999 25 outlaw. I was thinking about placing it under the back seat, but was worried about it getting beat up from the stored equipment.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered

I had one under may rear seat at first, but it got wet and eventuality failed. I have three now and they are all mounted on the wall of the cabinet down inside the cabin. Have not had any trouble out of them since. You can put an amp down there and its easier because it is closer to the batteries. I have seen several overheat when mounted under there because there is very little air flow. If you drive the amp hard it may get hot and trip the thermal protection system from time to time.I installed 2 amps in my neighbours 242 back there and they are still running fine, but they do get hot and cut out when he cranks it up for long periods. Hope this helps!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered

I mounted mine under the rear seat also. It did have overheating problems. It was a rockford fosgate.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45SS
I mounted mine under the rear seat also. It did have overheating problems. It was a rockford fosgate.
I think if you could put cooling fans, or a vent to get fresh air in there, it would be ok, but all the ones I have seen or installed under there have the problem. If you put in an amp so large that it didn't have to work very hard that would probably help as well. In my first boat, I had two amps mounted in the engine room on the bulkhead and they ran ok as well. The way they are now (in the cabin) I never have a problem with them.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a pad built into the forward portion of the back seat bottom on my 29. That is where my factory amp was installed.
I installed my 2 new amps in the storage compartments in the cockpit sides. They look neat there, but I think if I had it to do over again I would mount them in the lockers in the cabin.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Registered

Thanks for the information guys! I hadn't considered the air flow issues. Jason - have you had any heating issues with your amps mounted in the side compartments? I'm assuming you are talking about the compartments on each side of the boat beside the bolster seats?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I always mount them in the cabin, for cooling make sure you use brushless computer fans, anything else and you will have noise in your system. I wire the fans so you have one pulling air in and one pulling air out. When I do my stereo in the fountain this year I plan to mount them on a wall using "amp deck" set up, which will have only the heat sink showing and air flowing behind the deck.

If you have time look up how to build an amp deck. All amps are designed to be mounted this way and it looks great.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Registered

Never have had an issue with them overheating there. Then again, I let everyone else play their stereos. Then I am not responsible for sh!tty music selections.
Attached Thumbnails Stereo amplifier-stereo1.jpg   Stereo amplifier-stereo2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Never have had an issue with them overheating there. Then again, I let everyone else play their stereos. Then I am not responsible for sh!tty music selections.
Must be your friends don't have those water cannons? Mine would get drunk and have that amp fried in no time

Nice set up.

And BTW, I try for the loudest stereo, that way I don't have to hear others music.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Must be your friends don't have those water cannons? Mine would get drunk and have that amp fried in no time

Nice set up.

And BTW, I try for the loudest stereo, that way I don't have to hear others music.
Few things piss me off more than water cannons. Boats aren't to be made wet on the inside!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.