Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Outlaw 24 top speed only 52???? help >

Outlaw 24 top speed only 52???? help

Notices

Outlaw 24 top speed only 52???? help

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll need to get the boat out with only me or me and my buddy and see what it does in that scenario. I'll also try trimming it out more. It seems that when I was trimming it up more when we would hit waves it would start flying up. Should I use a little bit of tab to help bring it down more? I'll report back after next run out. Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Registered

Tabs will help keep the bow down but cause drag which will slow you a little. If you're going for an absolute top speed run your tabs should be all the way up. Less weight and more trim will definitely help. Mine is noticeably faster in 1-2 foot chop than it is in smooth water.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered

Default speed

Originally Posted by crossett
tabs will help keep the bow down but cause drag which will slow you a little. If you're going for an absolute top speed run your tabs should be all the way up. Less weight and more trim will definitely help. Mine is noticeably faster in 1-2 foot chop than it is in smooth water.
x2 i
alwayss get 5+ bump running in the chop
Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

My 25OL with the 502 and 23 mirage + will run 60/61 mph gps with 6 people, two coolers and 1/2 tank of gas. Ive also noticed it runs a little faster in a little chop.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Registered

my 99 24 outlaw stock 7.4 high 50s all day with 4 people and 1/2 tank with a 100 more hp in your boat there has to be a problem i would think maybe to much weight in the boat and down on power they are nice hulls when trimed right they are fast and mine would stay with anything its size in the rough beat many faster boats when the going got rough
Old 06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a minimum, it's probably a re-power. As far as I know, 1998 24 Outlaws only came from the factory with 7.4. They called it the "SE" model. They made 24 and 25 in 1998 but it was the last year for 24. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29 OUTLAW
At a minimum, it's probably a re-power. As far as I know, 1998 24 Outlaws only came from the factory with 7.4. They called it the "SE" model. They made 24 and 25 in 1998 but it was the last year for 24. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure on what motor sizes were available for 24s in 98, but I do agree with you on 98 being the last year for the 24s.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I doubt its the gps off although you are seeing true speeds now and the 70 speedo saw previously was probably a little high. The fact its only turning 4600 tells me it IS probably only going the speed you are seeing. As to why, well you arre going to have to find out, maybe a dead cylinder or 2 if it is the motor, look at plugs and check compression while you are changing them, Smitty
Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

One thing no one has mentioned in all this is how to figure out the trim. Here is a simple rule of thum, once the stick is down and your running flat out, time to play with trim. Watch the starboard side of the boat until it appears the wake is breaking right under your feet. With a Bravo there should be no roost, so if you see that or the boat starts porpoising bad, you're too high. If the wake is breaking off the hull in front of you (farther up the boat) you're trimmed too low. Start there and even use a smart phone gps. If that doesn't put you at least in the low 60's, you have a motor issue. Check compression and spark to start, could be as bad as a blown motor (rings/valves/worse) or it could be as simple as not getting a powerful enough spark. Sounds like you know your outdrive, but the prop doesn't have any major dings right?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by machloosy
One thing no one has mentioned in all this is how to figure out the trim. Here is a simple rule of thum, once the stick is down and your running flat out, time to play with trim. Watch the starboard side of the boat until it appears the wake is breaking right under your feet. With a Bravo there should be no roost, so if you see that or the boat starts porpoising bad, you're too high. If the wake is breaking off the hull in front of you (farther up the boat) you're trimmed too low. Start there and even use a smart phone gps. If that doesn't put you at least in the low 60's, you have a motor issue. Check compression and spark to start, could be as bad as a blown motor (rings/valves/worse) or it could be as simple as not getting a powerful enough spark. Sounds like you know your outdrive, but the prop doesn't have any major dings right?

I dont agree with no roost on a bravo outdrive..My boat throws a roost and I still am picking up speed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.