Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield >

How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield

Notices

How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield

Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 302 has the same thick white plexi wind screen, it works fine with good sunglasses and clear glasses for the night time rides. Obvious wind noise, but used to that from my Harley so it doesnt bother me. The wife really doesnt even complain about it just turn up the stereo and keep the exhaust open and all is good! Plus it looks better than the windshield.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the windshield on my 272. I had a Sunbrella cover made for it years ago because I HATE the over grown skiboat look. I'm 6'3" and enjoy the protection it provides (always stand).

As far as stepping over it, you are asking for trouble putting ANY pressure on it. I've always left the bow line on 24/7. I use it to steady myself climbing the dash on the way out, and stepping back over on the way in. I NEVER touch the windshield frame and don't allow anyone else to step over it. I would guess unless you're over 6 feet, that might be a big step to make. We all know if you do break it, odds are no replacement parts are avaliable.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Registered

Again, thanks for all of the responses .... so, if I end up with the one with the fairing, and can absolutely not just get used to it, is there a market to swap out, or work a trade, for a windshield ... is that even a possibility? I would assume that the decks are the same (maybe a bad assumption ???) and it would be just remove/fill screw holes, and then replace??? I know on the newer "windshield" fountains, each one was more or less "fitted" to the boat, so it would not be an easy "remove and replace" on those ... are these the same way? Thanks for the replies ... I appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got your PM but just thought I would give my opinion here.

If you like the Boss package 245 boat better, buy it!

The decks are the same for both options and the windshields are still avaiable to purchase. Checkmate even has some for their 275 ZT that will fit perfect in stock. The 245 windscreen is the thicker 1/2" plexiglass that is much harder to break that the models with 1/4" plex. The venturi molded across the top edge actually works very well directing the wind force over your head at speed. If you put your face above any windshield the wind force is packed into your face.

If you don't like the windscreen you should have no problem getting big $ for it.

XT
Attached Thumbnails How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield-im002911.jpg   How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield-245_profile.jpg   How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield-windscreen_view2.jpg  

Last edited by XT-Innovator; 06-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Registered

The pic above....is that painted or vinyl wrapped or coated with what? Thx
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

I've got the short, thin, clear windscreen on my 33 Outlaw and concur with what other mentioned regarding the wind in your face. After riding a few different boats with and without windshields (including a 38 Powerplay without at 80+) I was really leaning toward a windshield. But you have to agree the stubby cafe look is very sporty. Anyway, I found the 33 with 4 bolsters and bought it so I didn't have much choice. Here's where I'm at with it...driving faster, rough ass LOTO, I want to be standing and don't mind the wind. When things are a little more calm and I'm sitting down, it's a non-issue and the wind goes right over my head, I"m 6' 1". Even when I"m standing and it's not rough for a stretch I can slouch down in the bolster and get out of it for a bit. Honestly, even in the rough water, it's not bad sitting down and I'm getting more and more comfortable running like that. I do however wish the windshield was a little thicker or a different design so it wasn't so vulnerable when climbing onto the bow.

I also received a brand new, still in the bubble wrap, windscreen with my boat purchase. The original, still on the boat, is cracked in a few places and I thought I might experiment with it a little...wrap, paint, something.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
I got your PM but just thought I would give my opinion here.

If you like the Boss package 245 boat better, buy it!

The decks are the same for both options and the windshields are still avaiable to purchase. Checkmate even has some for their 275 ZT that will fit perfect in stock. The 245 windscreen is the thicker 1/2" plexiglass that is much harder to break that the models with 1/4" plex. The venturi molded across the top edge actually works very well directing the wind force over your head at speed. If you put your face above any windshield the wind force is packed into your face.

If you don't like the windscreen you should have no problem getting big $ for it.

XT
Did you make the wind screen yourself? I need on for a 252. you have any ideas? Thanks!