Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Looking at 232 Islander vs Mariah z252 shabah please help! >

Looking at 232 Islander vs Mariah z252 shabah please help!

Notices

Looking at 232 Islander vs Mariah z252 shabah please help!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 232 Islander vs Mariah z252 shabah please help!

So i am looking at buying a new boat. I have had several boats before and have the itch again. I am looking at 2 boats, both are 1999 one is a Baja 232 islander with 609 hrs, marina kept and maintained all its life, lake used female owned and has the 454/bravo 1 drive. Interior/exterior looks to be in great shape and has mooring and bow and cockpit covers. The other is a Mariah shabah 252z BR with right under 300 hrs. The guy says the drive was replaced last year along with some other things, (unsure if he has paper work to prove). Lake and river used, sun pad needs to be recovered eventually and has a hole in the side rail vinyl. has mooring cover, bimini top and bow and cockpit covers. Has 454 with bravo3 drive. both have drop out bolsters captains call etc. I can get into both boats right around 13,500 the baja is a 5hr drive and the mariah is a 1.5 hr drive. I have always wanted a Baja but worry about the rotting problems they seem to be plagued with. I am a Mechanic by trade and know what to look for on inspection. If they were both equal distance away i would buy the Baja in a heart beat. What would you do? Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly wouldn't buy a boat just because it's closest. It sounds like the islander is in better shape. Are they both 454 mags or 7.4 motors? You know the difference, right? The B3 is more about pushing weight and hole shot for water sports and usually not as fast as a B1 in similar applications.

Your intended use would dictate allot. 12 year old boats usually have way more than 300 hours. Lots to consider here, but you're in the right place for educated opinions. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Registered

The Mariah has an mpi not sure on the islander will find out tomorrow for sure. i want a mid 50 to low 60 mph boat, minimal tubing and skiing, mainly cruising and coving out. I am biased towards the Baja, i have wanted one since i was a kid. just kinda freaked out about the potential for rot
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bimmerboy

I can't comment on either brand of boat and from what I've seen both are very solid. However, I sure can provide some insight into a boat, that while is made out of fiberglass, is prone to rotting. We had a rather old fiberglass boat that was pristine- 1976 with less than 600 hours. However, the transom over the years began to rot. It turned out that it was more expensive to fix the transom than the boat was worth. This is just my two cents.

ps we just purchased a very lightly used 232 Cobalt with a 7.4 MPI -- with a Bravo 3/Captains Call It is great-- 63mph. One of the key selling points in my mind was the totally composite structure -- won't rot!

3pointstar

one other thing -- Bimmerboy -- does this have something to do with the BMW line - if you notice my screen name -- Yes Mercedes is spoken here!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Registered

I would assume a Mariah would rot also if wet a lot. I have a 96 24 outlaw and it's not rotted, but it been taken care of. Good luck with either one you decide on.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We really like our 232 cuddy. Ours has the 6.2L 320 HP and with 19P at 3/4 tank of fuel and 3 ppl I GPS'd 55 Thursday. I think prop could add 3-5 MPH, but haven't tried yet. The 232 is great for us for a number of reasons, deadrise for Lk St Clair, true weight and tow-ability, nice colors and great simple clean overall design that wont get old with age.

I'm having trouble finding a Mariah with drop out bolsters to look at (just curious to see).

Rot is really a function of past ownership.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just opinion....I do not even like the look of the mariah boasts. May as well be a bay liner. But I would look for a bigger islander. The 232 is a very compact boat.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Registered

Went down and looked at the baja today, ended up buying it. Really happy overall has a couple minor issues that would make good winter projects but got a good deal on it. 232 is a perfect size for us for at least a couple years. Going to be on the water tomorrow for sure!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Registered

Congrats,nice boats , Where do you boat at?
Originally Posted by Bimmerboy86
Went down and looked at the baja today, ended up buying it. Really happy overall has a couple minor issues that would make good winter projects but got a good deal on it. 232 is a perfect size for us for at least a couple years. Going to be on the water tomorrow for sure!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered

We boat on the Mississippi river, Table rock lake, Plan on being at the LOTO some, and smaller lakes were we camp like Rend lake and Kincaid in Illinois.
Took it up on the Mississippi today, was choppy and pretty windy, couldn't be more pleased with the performance rode very smooth and seems very solid. Too bad didn't come across this deal at the beginning of the season, hopefully there will be a couple more good weekends. I cant wait to get it out again.