Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Safety of twin engines.  Can you get on plane with just one running? >

Safety of twin engines. Can you get on plane with just one running?

Notices

Safety of twin engines. Can you get on plane with just one running?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
whats wrong with idling to the next marina. Isnt that good enough?
DEfinitely not good enough if your 30 miles from home!!! I don't know about you but we boat most of the Chesapeake bay and our weekends can run anywhere from 2 - 100+ miles from home. Idling back can be a long long ride!!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Define "finesse"? I have been trying to this since I have owned twins and have never been successful.

Anyway, whats wrong with idling to the next marina. Isnt that good enough?
Just enough throttle as to not break the props loose up to about 15 MPH. When the bow comes back down put the coals to her. When my boat was stock with 330's and 3 blade props there was no way it would get on plane with 1 engine, at 7-8 mph the prop would break loose and you would have to stop and start over.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could do it in my 29 with the big motors & 5 blade wheels. If I had on the 4 blades it wasn't happening.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wondered this my self, but have not tried it since reading not to... BUT i see alot bigger boats and 2 times the weight running bravos.. 330 sundancers.. so I think if you did it nice and easy the drive would hold.

Not sure it would get it on plan though.. but with 2 my boat comes up easy. it might would do it... I think I would proably try it if knew I had along way to run but short distance is not the end of the world idling.. ,its better then a tow.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lost all oil in one 7.4 MPI in my 29 Outlaw on last stop of poker run due to oil drain line fitting break. Thought I would have to idle back to my home dock when even with five guys in the v-birth and 24" Bravos it would not do it, but it was close. Decided there should be just enough oil residue on the crank and bearings that I fired it up for 3-4 seconds, just enough that it put the boat on plane for the rest of the ride home.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

tried it on my 34 scarab with 330's it didn't take long to figure out that's not happening
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I lost three engines in one summer with a 36 outlaw. I was so frustrated I kept using the boat, getting on plane with one. One tab up, one down, to keep the working side in the water to get up. Once up lift the tabs. Never lost a drive, xrs hooked to 500s with blowers.

It's not the most fun, but more fun than riding on someone else's
Old 03-15-2014, 02:49 AM
Registered

so when you are getting it up on one, you dropping the tab all the way down on the dead side, and leaving the tab on the working side up correct? also my boat has a externakl steering / tie bar so I cant trailer the dead drive up
Old 03-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
so when you are getting it up on one, you dropping the tab all the way down on the dead side, and leaving the tab on the working side up correct? also my boat has a externakl steering / tie bar so I cant trailer the dead drive up
Yup, it will strafe like mother, but it keeps the drive hooked somewhat. Nice and easy, once it starts to drop the bow get on it.

I kept the drive trim synced, all twins have tie bars
Old 03-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Registered

not all twins have external tie bars... they all have the internal one thats how one steers the other. but you can trim those sparate with out issue. its the external ones that cause the problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.