Baja issues with wood rot? >

Baja issues with wood rot?

Notices

Baja issues with wood rot?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja issues with wood rot?

Looking to purchase a used BAJA 20-23 ft.. 1995-2001 years.. I read about several issues with boats in this timeframe having transom rot due to factory holes being too large. Now I am not sure if this is true or not.. but was wondering if anyone had information on issues with this for the years listed above.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Rot is an issue with ALL boats that have wood as a part of the hull.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is nobody bothers re caulking hardware...Bedding compound is only good for around 5 years...It should be part of the preventative maintenance schedule ,Especially if you want to maintain the value of your investment.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a friend do his 290 Baja over the winter and rear stringers were shot. The guy that fixed the problem said the stringers were like mulch. Also the area behind the swim platform was holding a large amount of water due to poor design. He had to drill holes in the rear of the boat and seal it to allow the water to get out.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

my 1998 272 was possibly one of the ones you read about with the transom hole being cut to big got it fixed right and will have this boat for a very long time now
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Rot is an issue with ALL boats that have wood as a part of the hull.
+1 How do we get people to believe that rot is not related to what year a boat was built, or who built it if wood was part of any structure in the boat. We have see it all from your 1977 Pantera that the rib pad wood was just bare wood and not even a water stain on anything (it was in perfect condition like new) to a 2005 Nor-Tech that we just replaced the rotted rear seat bottoms with plastic material. I think more boats rot from owners that say "it's a boat and it's suppose to get wet" or letting them sit outside with bad canvas and the drain plug installed. My dad bought a 86' Wellcraft 23 Nova that was nothing but rot, now he has an even older 83' 23 Nova that is solid as can be. You just have to inspect every boat you look at.

XT
Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

XT is right i think a lot of my issues were from neglect from the previous owners but it did have the hole cut to big as well
Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We replaced a transom on a 1998 25 outlaw about 5 years ago, at the time a 11 year old boat. the transom did not have glass mat between the 2 pieces of plywood like every other transom including Baja that I have seen, it had a adhesive of some type that was not spread all over just drizzled on if that describes it. well anyways, the exhaust hose was never properly tightened going to the exhaust tip and it allowed water to fall down between the 2 sheets and it was so rotted by the time we pulled it apart that you could poke a screw driver through the inside and hit the fiberglass back of the boat in a large area. Also found rot in the stringers. I replaced the transom and stringers in my sport 250 about the same time, the transom wasn’t too bad but the stringers were mush. Problem there was the previous owner gutted the boat and left it in a corn field for 4-5 years before I found it. the thing that bugged me about that is the stringers were made of dimensional lumber rather that plywood. I agree with XT when he says the way the boat is covered and maintained has a ton to do with it. after replacing all of that wood in my boat I am absolutely anal about covering my boat and making sure that water and rain does not get into it. my buddy pointed out to me and made a great point, people will buy a 75,000 dollar car and it sits in the garage and gets waxed 3 times a year and then they will have 75,000+ dollar boat siting in the driveway not properly covered and think nothing of it. I am unlucky and have to keep mine outside but it is covered 100% of the time and well, winter time it is double covered.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

The worst rot I've seen was on a 2006 fountain !!! transom was dirt, not wood, neither soft wood! DIRT !

so again, year does not count, maintenance does...
Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

All boats with wood can rot, just have it surveyed and tap with a mallet if you can.

Look for tell tale signs, stains running down from ANY Penatration, etc.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 06-06-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.