Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please. >

Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please.

Notices

Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Can you expound on what "serious" inspections are? AC is not a deal breaker if I find a well cared for vessel, it would just be a very nice feature in S. Florida.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 37k for a 2003 250hr 25 outlaw for comparison this year in perfect shape, like said above good luck with your search and when you find a good deal be ready cause theres ten other guys looking for the same thing
Old 08-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh......I could go on for days about how to do a good inspection. Especially after being burned by one I took in. The key is to not believe anything the owner says. Make the owner leave the boat with a certified & qualified technician who can take his time on it so you will get a complete picture of the boats condition. Yes it will cost money, and yes you may ultimately not buy the boat post inspection. But at the very least you'll have some bargaining room.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trippin
25k for a boat with everything you want and AC is asking for a miracle. You'll either have to change what kind of boat you want IE.. Cruiser instead of go-fast, or go-fast but larger and obviously more expensive. There are cruisers to be had in your price range with gen-sets and AC but you're going to have to do some serious and I mean serious inspections not limited to just moisture contamination. Good luck.

Or you can bump up your ceiling and buy mine. 36K includes brand new drives and labbed 25P props. But no AC sorry.
Send some info. on yours to [email protected] please. See comment under next quote.

Originally Posted by sunbather1969
I paid 37k for a 2003 250hr 25 outlaw for comparison this year in perfect shape, like said above good luck with your search and when you find a good deal be ready cause theres ten other guys looking for the same thing
I'm not opposed to paying in the 30k range; however, I'm currently able to find vessel's in the 20k range that I am plenty happy with.

Ugh......I could go on for days about how to do a good inspection. Especially after being burned by one I took in. The key is to not believe anything the owner says. Make the owner leave the boat with a certified & qualified technician who can take his time on it so you will get a complete picture of the boats condition. Yes it will cost money, and yes you may ultimately not buy the boat post inspection. But at the very least you'll have some bargaining room.
I don't believe anything anyone says that's not in writing. I'm having a hard time finding an owner who even wants to be put off by a Marine Surveyor coming to them let alone taking the time to transport to a facility. Where do you feel most Marine Surveyor's fail during their inspections?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

First powerboat and you're looking at twin engines? Nothing really wrong but unless you're a good 'spanner man' a single engine is sooo much easier and a lot cheaper in every respect. A single will obviously limit the size boat you can buy but I always recommend buying the latest model, lowest hours you can find.

Stock standard engines are pretty much trouble free if they've been serviced properly. Once you get a rebuilt engine, you want to know who rebuilt it and was it done properly. If the engine is modified from factory specs it may be more difficult and more expensive on maintenance. Blue motors require more attention, they're great engines but never forget, they were built by Mercury Racing as hi performance so it will end up costing you more.

The more extras and gadgets on a boat, the more there is to go wrong, especially if everything is 15 or so years old. As you said, don't let the air con be a deal breaker, you're looking at a sports boat not a cruiser.

A boat will cost you money whether you use it or not. Sometimes costing more when they're not used much. Try to keep it simple so you can spend time enjoying it rather than fixing something on it. Stick to a well known brand so you can re-sell it down the track if you want to go bigger. Baja is well known, everyone has opinions on all boats, everyone loves their own brand the most, so long as it's recognized by all, it will alwkays be saleable.

Good luck and welcome to boating. One season and you'll be hooked!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 08-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
If they balk at a survey then walk. You're protecting your "investment". If there is such a word for a boat
Minimized your loss from total to manageable. Lol.

I got a bargain deal of 6k on a 502, and just spent another 1k on just the oil lines and cooler. It adds up quickly.

I grew up around boats, but I'm on my first "power boat". I was looking at twins but I am so happy that I went with a single as my lessons and mistakes haven't been compounded double - even though I thought that I hired the best mechanic that I can find. That's just my experience.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 08-06-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Tractionless
I don't believe anything anyone says that's not in writing. I'm having a hard time finding an owner who even wants to be put off by a Marine Surveyor coming to them let alone taking the time to transport to a facility. Where do you feel most Marine Surveyor's fail during their inspections?
Marine Surveyors for the most part are individual boat owners who have taken it upon themselves to become a qualified inspector. I am not aware of any legitimate and accountable licensing agency that will stand behind a survey done by a surveyor. The best "survey" that can be done is by a qualified and trained technician who has been in and out of all different kinds of boats for years. A "survey"/inspection done by a qualified marine technician will hold more weight in court or with an insurance company than a "survey" done by one who only does survey's. At least that's how it is here in KY and I'm certainly not trying to say all Marine Surveyors don't know what they're doing. I'm just giving it from my point of view and my experience. Having said that.....

I think the thing most inspections miss is internal mechanical issues. Plus the ability to "plug in" to a marine system and see exactly what kind of issues any newer marine engine(s) or drive lines may have or have had. Having the appropriate diagnostic tools can answer a lot of questions up front, for example the hours of use and usually what rpm the engine(s) were used most, a nice piece of information, plus some that recall an exact issue and at what time it happened and the result.

My last inspection unfortunately was rushed, the owner had a buyer on the hook and the buyer asked for an inspection. I volunteered and because I was not allowed to do the inspection at my leisure I missed a critical gimbal issue. The time it required to remove the drives and check the transom assemblies, was not afforded. My bad, next time there will be NO EXCEPTIONS.

So that's just some things to consider.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
First powerboat and you're looking at twin engines? Nothing really wrong but unless you're a good 'spanner man' a single engine is sooo much easier and a lot cheaper in every respect. A single will obviously limit the size boat you can buy but I always recommend buying the latest model, lowest hours you can find.

Stock standard engines are pretty much trouble free if they've been serviced properly. Once you get a rebuilt engine, you want to know who rebuilt it and was it done properly. If the engine is modified from factory specs it may be more difficult and more expensive on maintenance. Blue motors require more attention, they're great engines but never forget, they were built by Mercury Racing as hi performance so it will end up costing you more.

The more extras and gadgets on a boat, the more there is to go wrong, especially if everything is 15 or so years old. As you said, don't let the air con be a deal breaker, you're looking at a sports boat not a cruiser.

A boat will cost you money whether you use it or not. Sometimes costing more when they're not used much. Try to keep it simple so you can spend time enjoying it rather than fixing something on it. Stick to a well known brand so you can re-sell it down the track if you want to go bigger. Baja is well known, everyone has opinions on all boats, everyone loves their own brand the most, so long as it's recognized by all, it will alwkays be saleable.

Good luck and welcome to boating. One season and you'll be hooked!

RR
Thanks for the above info. I'm currently on a parallel path with what you've said. Yes on 2x engines as I need something 27'+ that will keep up at offshore poker runs as well as have the amenities I'd like in the cabin.

Marine Surveyors for the most part are individual boat owners who have taken it upon themselves to become a qualified inspector. I am not aware of any legitimate and accountable licensing agency that will stand behind a survey done by a surveyor. The best "survey" that can be done is by a qualified and trained technician who has been in and out of all different kinds of boats for years. A "survey"/inspection done by a qualified marine technician will hold more weight in court or with an insurance company than a "survey" done by one who only does survey's. At least that's how it is here in KY and I'm certainly not trying to say all Marine Surveyors don't know what they're doing. I'm just giving it from my point of view and my experience. Having said that.....

I think the thing most inspections miss is internal mechanical issues. Plus the ability to "plug in" to a marine system and see exactly what kind of issues any newer marine engine(s) or drive lines may have or have had. Having the appropriate diagnostic tools can answer a lot of questions up front, for example the hours of use and usually what rpm the engine(s) were used most, a nice piece of information, plus some that recall an exact issue and at what time it happened and the result.

My last inspection unfortunately was rushed, the owner had a buyer on the hook and the buyer asked for an inspection. I volunteered and because I was not allowed to do the inspection at my leisure I missed a critical gimbal issue. The time it required to remove the drives and check the transom assemblies, was not afforded. My bad, next time there will be NO EXCEPTIONS.

So that's just some things to consider.
Thanks I've been selecting marine surveyor's from here http://www.marinesurvey.org/

Can you plug into something without EFI?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Thanks for the above info. I'm currently on a parallel path with what you've said. Yes on 2x engines as I need something 27'+ that will keep up at offshore poker runs as well as have the amenities I'd like in the cabin.

Thanks I've been selecting marine surveyor's from here http://www.marinesurvey.org/

Can you plug into something without EFI?
Generally no, there are a few circumstances, outboards mainly that you can read hours and some very basic info.

The disclaimer at the bottom of the website you show confirms my belief.