Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Back fender mount on 29 outlaw >

Back fender mount on 29 outlaw

Notices

Back fender mount on 29 outlaw

Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I use harbor freight suction cups for glass on my boat cleats on the back as well

http://m.harborfreight.com/aluminum-...ter-92825.html

Last edited by 1989mach1; 01-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 1999 29' Baja Outlaw and it had matching approx 24" grab bars bolts on either side of the sun pad at the rear of the boat. They also worked well to pull your self up on the swim platform when on the trailer. If you send me your email I can try to find some pictures and send them to you. I upgraded this fall to a 2002 36' Outlaw and am looking forward to this summer.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
I'm sorry. I feel really stupid here. I'm just not understanding how a 6 inch loop will stay secure? Just with the weight of the fender and gravity? Seems like it could easily pop off the mushroom top. I guess I'd have to see it in action. I know when I used a boat cleat, their is no way that is going to come off. I know I could use the pin kind, but I'm not sure I like the big weight of the pin attached to my fenders when retrieving and returning the fenders to storage.
The mushroom cleats are spring loaded. You pull them out against the spring pressure, slip the loop over and when you release the cleat it pulls back in and pinches the line between the base and the pull out portion. The spring tension is sufficient enough to keep the line from coming off the cleat. Have used them for one season and they work great. You could also double loop the line for added safety. fwiw.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Aah hah! Spring loaded.
Don't feel too bad FBRONCO, I didn't know that either.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Pretend its a mushroom cleat.
Attached Thumbnails Back fender mount on 29 outlaw-mush.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Pretend its a mushroom cleat.
Thanks! That looks like it will work really well.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
I always tied mine to the handle by back seat, then just flop inside when leaving. Back cleat is pretty much useless.
This is what I always did. There is a grab handle on each side at the back seat and one on the port side front passenger seat. The driver's side is the only spot where there isn't one.

I use the transom cleat for only dock lines.

Here's a photo of what I'd usually do. The center cleat for fender and spring line, rear fender tied to inside grab handle and transom cleat dock line. If I dock on port side then I can use the front inside grab handle for the fender.

I had always thought about installing the dedicated fender cleats but never really found that I needed to.
Attached Thumbnails Back fender mount on 29 outlaw-159-5956_img.jpg  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tie up exactly how Baja Fresh has it. At the helm, I have tied an extra to the frame of the drivers seat if I feel it will be rougher than expected.
The rear cleat is a no go for a fender unless I am in the back of a no wake cove tied up.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
This is what I always did. There is a grab handle on each side at the back seat and one on the port side front passenger seat. The driver's side is the only spot where there isn't one.

I use the transom cleat for only dock lines.

Here's a photo of what I'd usually do. The center cleat for fender and spring line, rear fender tied to inside grab handle and transom cleat dock line. If I dock on port side then I can use the front inside grab handle for the fender.

I had always thought about installing the dedicated fender cleats but never really found that I needed to.

Exactly how I did if for 800 hours of so
Old 02-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

YOu guys have it easy, the O/S with molded in swim step is even a bigger pain in the arse. I'll post next time I have it out.