Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
New 232 owner...leg chatter in cockpit area at idle..normal? >

New 232 owner...leg chatter in cockpit area at idle..normal?

Notices

New 232 owner...leg chatter in cockpit area at idle..normal?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 232 owner...leg chatter in cockpit area at idle..normal?

Hi guys!

I have that 04 232 496 with 72 hours on it. The boat is is fantastic shape. I m wondering if this is normal? I notice what seems to be leg chatter in the cockpit area when the boats at idle. I'm not sure if this is normal with a big engine like the 496 and the drive being so close to the cockpit area. My last two boats were 26 and 28 foot Chaparral Sunbridge models so it wasn't as noticeable being higher and further away from the engine? The gimbel has been greased regularly and with it having 72 hours I doubt it's toast already?

Is this normal for some drive noise / chatter? I wouldnt say its loud but its certainly noticable! Leg oil has been changed every season and the level is up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

Need to know IF (the big if)
Was the drive removed and engine alignment checked?
Was the U joints checked along with gimbal bearing?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be hearing the internal flappers in the exhaust. Very loud always seems like something else is going wrong
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From day one mine seemed to shake and rattle a bit more than I initially would have expected too. I've had my drive pulled and serviced twice now as PM, 200 hours and original everything except input shaft seal. I've just learned to live with the little extra noise. Do you have carpet, makes a huge difference in my boat for noise.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I don't think it's the nternal flappers in the exhaust. The sound changes subtly when I'm steering the boat at idle
or just in gear at idle. I do have carpet in the boat. I guess it could be the gimbel? I didn't think that a gimbel could be gone while being greased regularly at such low hours?

I was just wondering if noise was typical with this style of boat. I'll look into it and report back!

Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

Not typical. Gimbal bearing or U joints probably making noise and needs checked.