Help with 26 Outlaw 600 sci swap >

Help with 26 Outlaw 600 sci swap

Notices

Help with 26 Outlaw 600 sci swap

Old 09-21-2018, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 26 Outlaw 600 sci swap

We have been talking about selling our 08 26 for the past two years and moving into a faster Hull like a Cat. Problem is the wife and I love our 26 and it still looks like new and it has a unique look. I think we are going to do a re-power with a Mercury Racing 600 and Bravo XR Drive. That should allow us to run high 70s according to my research and most likely mid 80s if I do a Whipple Stage 3 on it, which for our Lake is Fast! I will also add Full Hydraulic Steering at the time of the swap.

My question is when I order the engine and drive do I want a Standard XR or a XR Sport that is two inches shorter? and if I go with the Shortie does the engine get mounted lower or not? I read a few different things and am confused!

Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

That's going to be a rocket with 600Sci. As far as which outdrive I would go with the XR Sportmaster -2. The benefit with going that route is your X dimension comes up without having to recut the holes in the transom. In other words the engine sits at the same level your current engine is at but the prop is 2" closer to the surface of the water. On the new 27 outlaws (exact same hull as yours) when they put merc racing motors in it they raise the motor and use a standard XR drive which results in the prop sitting at the same depth as if you put a -2 sportmaster on yours. Another route you could go is putting an ITS transom on in which case defiantly go with a shorty. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. That is what I was thinking based on the hours I spent on here researching.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I think you should measure the prop shaft depth in relation to the bottom as it is now before ordering anything, then see where -2 will put it
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Why dont you go with an SCX? The 600 is already pushing the limits of an XR on a single especially if you do stage 1 or 2.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Registered

I have read about the XR Drives failing behind the 600s, so maybe I will look at the SCX drives. Probably fooling myself, but was thinking Lake boating and the way I drive I could make it live...

Are you still running the Raylar 600s? I tossed that around, but read so many Negative things I havent considered it seriously?
Old 09-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onlywinni
I have read about the XR Drives failing behind the 600s, so maybe I will look at the SCX drives. Probably fooling myself, but was thinking Lake boating and the way I drive I could make it live...

Are you still running the Raylar 600s? I tossed that around, but read so many Negative things I havent considered it seriously?
After reading this again I realize I may have been bashing the Raylar 600 that wasn’t my intention. I meant to ask if youve had Good Luck with yours. Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Is your boat worth this much as is ?? meaning you're going to double the price.

https://www.proboats.com/engines-for...600HP-3765266/
Old 09-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 829 Likes on 350 Posts

Love the idea and the boat! There were a couple 26 600s from the factory, I think they ran high 70s without much setup. The one in Europe with the ITS may of ran a little faster, higher X dimension.

Like F2 speedy said measure where your propshaft is now in relation to the bottom of the hull, probably in the 6.5”-7.5” range. Without a extension box, ITS, imco, stellings etc.., I’d set the propshaft about 4” below the hull, so most likely the short sportmaster. You can always space down, you can even space down a standard lower.

Assuming you don’t have hydraulic steering, I’d highly recommend it at 70+

Your reasons for for wanting to repower are some of the same reasons I went a little crazy with our 25. Good hull, deep freeboard can handle rough water for its size, boat is in fantastic shape, easy trailering, storing, docking, one engine and drive to maintain etc.

The SCX is a solid drive, worry free, but I’d think you’d be fine at 600hp with the XR but if you plan on doing Whipple upgrades then the XR probably won’t be up to the task.

Whipple 525 in our 25, scx-4 drive, imco ext box, livorsi tabs

Oh and it gets expensive FAST. Not a project to undertake and decide to give up on halfway.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Go shorter as you can always space down for cheap, as mentioned. It’s hard to go up if need be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.