Play In Cable Steering >

Play In Cable Steering

Notices

Play In Cable Steering

Old 02-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play In Cable Steering

Hello everyone. I wondered if anyone has had any luck in adjusting steering rack in 1994 32 Caliber with stock cable steering? The play is right at rack, not typical drive steering pins. Does not appear to have any adjustment means to me. Also, any idea of length of cable as I will probably have to replace the cable and helm unit? Thanks to all.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:08 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

you can find and pin point your play / steering issue(s) by seperating the systems. Also there is a nut on the cable going into the steering guide tube of the acurator that always needs to be tite and there is a torque value for it. It would be best if you continue working on your boat to get the OEM service manuals.

If you can not figure it out your issues out, it is best to take to a cert Merc shop because steering systems is not to be taken litely especially for safety reasons and safety reasons for other boaters on the water..

Your steering systems are 25 / 26 years old I would expect some new parts needed as well and prob a new steering cables regardless.

the cables themselves will have writing on them - that will be the type of cable and length listed. If the writing has worn off then you pull out the cables and measure correctly for length. There is diagrams from steering cable manus how to measure for the correct length.. Not hard at all. But most of the times you can find the numbers on the cables

Prob your helm is NLA so look for the correct newer style helms. Teleflex or Uflex -- Morse is NLA - Teleflex bought them out years ago

Last edited by BUP; 02-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice and info BUP. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

If it is an original cable or similar vintage, you may find that a new technology, replacement helm kit (including cable) is cheaper than the "old" style cable's direct replacement... where you are still running the old worn helm