Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
2008 30 Outlaw Updates "the last real baja" >

2008 30 Outlaw Updates "the last real baja"

Notices

2008 30 Outlaw Updates "the last real baja"

Old 03-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

and ready to roll... not giving a lot of oh **** room it was the weekend before the 2019 Lake Winnebago Four Horseman poker run was able to get it out to bleed the lines etc. not knowing what to expect never having engines out before wasn't going to go into the poker run without a test run... was kind of surprised no issues! started and ran perfect had a nice bark without the mufflers ITS system bled it's self... it was a great weekend on the water!

Only thing I am really not happy about, is the dam depth finder still doesn't work!! it is very sporadic at best, sometimes works sometimes doesn't there is no rhyme or reason to when it works or not, location on lake/speed/water depth. Sometimes it gives a depth, and sometimes it is just 3 dashes across the display. I replaced the transducer and did a new install on the base it doesn’t leak and is flooded with antifreeze. it is an airmar p79 that is built to mercury smart craft specs, it plugs into a diagnostic port on the right engine and is supposed to go through the ecm to the vessel view race edition. I have several hours in phone calls to airmar and mercury and nobody has an answer clue or suggestion. I just don’t get it and totally out of ideas so I’m all ears to anything anybody has!!
Old 03-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Registered

July of 2019 and it was time to go boating! Pulled out of the house like any other weekend and as we were coming down the hill to the gas station, noticed there wasn’t a whole lot of help in the braking department from the trailer! cycled the manual brake lever a few times, turned the gain all the way up and sure enough there were no trailer brakes. Now what! Pulled up to the gas pump and walked around and heard the pump on the EOH actuator running and it was hotter than hell, the cover was starting to melt un plugged the connector to the truck right away scratched my head, the trailer disc’s were ice cold so no action there at all, checked the EOH reservoir and bone dry and thought to myself that’s not good… bought a couple pints from the gas station plugged the brakes back in and the motor ran for a bit and then stopped… cycled the manual lever a few times and all seemed normal… filled the boat up and thought we were off, didn’t take very far to realize there are no brakes again, got to the launch and similar deal, pump was hotter then hell, this time not running checked the reservoir again and empty…. Wasn’t about to let the beautiful day get away so we went boating and said we will figure it out later! Now for all towing Nazi’s out there from the house to the launch is about 5 miles and with the speed limit the whole way 35 MPH, wasn’t too concerned about stopping.

Tore into it on Monday and could not get any function to the EOH actuator so figured it burnt its self-up no big deal ordered a new one, oh was I sticker shocked how much those dam things cost! but there are a few words I’m sure most of you know that are never used with boat or boating…now never seeing any puddles in the garage under the trailer first problem was where is the dam oil going? All the brake pads and rotors had nice wear, and all the ridged lines across the axles and hoses from the axle to the calipers all perfect, only one line you cant see, must be the one in the frame rail from the actuator to the first axle. Pulled the steel line out and there was the problem!! Wish I would have taken pictures, but the line was bent at almost 90 deg and kinked, obviously a bad install from day one and took this long to present a problem, I was surprised that it was just a standard steel line and not stainless, but suppose that shouldn’t surprise me really… replaced it with a new rubber hose fished it through the frame rail bled the brakes and good to go….
Old 03-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 30outlaw
and ready to roll... not giving a lot of oh **** room it was the weekend before the 2019 Lake Winnebago Four Horseman poker run was able to get it out to bleed the lines etc. not knowing what to expect never having engines out before wasn't going to go into the poker run without a test run... was kind of surprised no issues! started and ran perfect had a nice bark without the mufflers ITS system bled it's self... it was a great weekend on the water!

Only thing I am really not happy about, is the dam depth finder still doesn't work!! it is very sporadic at best, sometimes works sometimes doesn't there is no rhyme or reason to when it works or not, location on lake/speed/water depth. Sometimes it gives a depth, and sometimes it is just 3 dashes across the display. I replaced the transducer and did a new install on the base it doesn’t leak and is flooded with antifreeze. it is an airmar p79 that is built to mercury smart craft specs, it plugs into a diagnostic port on the right engine and is supposed to go through the ecm to the vessel view race edition. I have several hours in phone calls to airmar and mercury and nobody has an answer clue or suggestion. I just don’t get it and totally out of ideas so I’m all ears to anything anybody has!!
I'm guessing the spot where the transducer is located has balsa coring or there are voids in the fiberglass.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
I'm guessing the spot where the transducer is located has balsa coring or there are voids in the fiberglass.
There is no coring in a Baja hull, maybe voids... but it worked originally from the factory in that location, one would think Baja has that figured out they were making the 30 since 2004... frustrating and not sure exactly where to go from here...
Old 03-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Registered

the middle "stringer" was a lot thicker! ~1.5"+ best photos i can find showing that... but there were definately NOT stringers under the liner, limited access in various locations but i could get boroscopes and my hands into places and nothing...

How did you get this picture? This looks like it was taken before the floor was put in? Do you have any more construction pics?
Old 03-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Registered

There is no coring in a Baja hull, maybe voids... but it worked originally from the factory in that location, one would think Baja has that figured out they were making the 30 since 2004... frustrating and not sure exactly where to go from here...
I don't know much about the 30's and liner boats, but all the baja outlaws I had before they started using the liners (24, 25, and 29) used balsa coring in the hulls. I know for a fact, because I had to replace the coring under the gas tank in my 24. I'm guessing the hulls still have balsa coring in them. Usually they have a small cut out under the engine where they did not use balsa coring so the transducer could be placed there. I would assume that what they did on the 30's also. I don't know for sure. I'm interested in your posts because I just purchased a 30 outlaw and I like to know how things are put together.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

I sanded the bilge paint smooth before I installed my P79. not sure if that would make a difference in your case. my only thought is you have a liner boat. If the liner goes on top of the exterior on the bottom as well you essentially installed the depth sounder on the liner which means there is a small gap between the liner and exterior hull which would cause it not to work unless the gap is filled with water? possibly. The other thing I have run into is if I power-on the chart-plotter before I launch the boat the depth sounder won't work. It calibrates each time you power on and it needs to be in the water to calibrate properly.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
How did you get this picture? This looks like it was taken before the floor was put in? Do you have any more construction pics?
yeah have ~300 photos from the from the day it came out of the mold to completion

Last edited by 30outlaw; 03-04-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iaoutlaw
I sanded the bilge paint smooth before I installed my P79. not sure if that would make a difference in your case. my only thought is you have a liner boat. If the liner goes on top of the exterior on the bottom as well you essentially installed the depth sounder on the liner which means there is a small gap between the liner and exterior hull which would cause it not to work unless the gap is filled with water? possibly. The other thing I have run into is if I power-on the chart-plotter before I launch the boat the depth sounder won't work. It calibrates each time you power on and it needs to be in the water to calibrate properly.
if you look back in photos, the liner is cut out, so it is mounted right on the fiberglass hull, never turned the keys on before the boat was in the water, and being wired to the engines there is no switch for the depth finder it’s is powered up when the key is turned on...
Old 03-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Never had luck with transducers that shot thru the hull. Only the ones where the puck went completely thru the bottom of the boat ever worked consistently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.