Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Baja (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja-31/)
-   -   2000 33 SST/OUTLAW twin 502s (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/baja/372310-2000-33-sst-outlaw-twin-502s.html)

96 Arriva 07-03-2021 03:30 AM

2000 33 SST/OUTLAW twin 502s

Contrary to me display name I’m running a Baja (upgraded a few years ago)

I am looking for help on an odd problem. Sounds simple but has proven difficult to fix.

I have random fuel starvation problem on both engines in my boat. This happens when the tank is full or low. It comes in the form of low fuel pressure on one engine or another. ( yes it jumps around, never both at the same time)

To eliminate the stupid solutions like change full filters and check or fuel pressure regulators, all this has been done countless times and always comes back within spec.

This usually happens (but not limited too) after I run up the lake and sit for a while. I’ll go to fire the engines and both will fire and run but within 10 seconds one will die (never both)

after that the dead engine never seems to come back. By the time I get home and get tools onto it always fires up.

so hard to diagnose a problem that isn’t happening and of course it only happens on the water, gonna bring the tools and fuel pressure testing equipment on the next ride.

but before I turn family boating day into a test and tune day I figured I would ask the masses if they have had similar issues? And ideas?

The boat only has 450 original hours and has been stored inside more of its life. I’d like hope to hope that this doesn’t turn out to be a maintenance issue.

Welcoming any sound advice on where to dig for a solution. Spending thousands on parts is not a solution for me.

JaayTeee 07-03-2021 06:18 AM

Do you run ethanol gas?

IGetWet 07-03-2021 06:51 AM

Possible vapor lock. Do both motors share one fuel pick up?

Quinlan 07-06-2021 05:45 AM

Do 502s have the Cool Fuel chit? My 2000 29 w 454 mpi mags. would do that regularly- run for a while- then sit, drink a beer and die after start up.
Took all the cool fuel chit off and never had the problem again.

SB 07-06-2021 07:55 AM

vapor lock. Many threads and several fixes in here on this. Best seems to be return fuel to tank.

Originally Posted by Quinlan (Post 4796207)
Do 502s have the Cool Fuel chit? My 2000 29 w 454 mpi mags. would do that regularly- run for a while- then sit, drink a beer and die after start up.
Took all the cool fuel chit off and never had the problem again.

yup, these year mpi’s will have the cool fuel system.

F-2 Speedy 07-06-2021 08:12 AM

Hey OP I had a 2252 Arriva back in the day cool boats, I also had a 2000 33 OL with 502 mag mpi's and both engines would v lock but the port side did it more often........lift the hatch a couple feet to vent the engine bay this will help

nailit 07-09-2021 04:01 PM

Also, remove return lines from both fuel filter heads and then T them together and run them into the 3rd bung in the tank. Helped a lot with mine. Eventually I ended up having to replace both fuel pumps. 98 454 mags

NOTE: that trick came from Eddie Young w/ young performance motors!